• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: DOOM: The Guardian

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOM: The Guardian"

Collapse

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    I am a paid subscriber to The Guardian (as well as ToryGraph, The Times, The FT and a few others).
    Clearly you don't read them, since you're about the most ill-informed poorly taught critical thinker on here

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Not to worry AtW, you can always start reading the Mail Online, or (pause for effect ...) Zero Hedge!
    I am a paid subscriber to The Guardian (as well as ToryGraph, The Times, The FT and a few others).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    It's only fair that a left-wing rag should charge for their website.

Apparently they are good on science/medical reporting though.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    That's a shame Guardian is about the last decent newspaper free to access. If they put in a paywall, I'll weight in up against FT, NYT and Irish Times.
    ha! - 'Bunty' would be more your level.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Paywall is incoming...

Not to worry AtW, you can always start reading the Mail Online, or (pause for effect ...) Zero Hedge!

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Better than nothing. I suspect they could end up earning more from a micro payments model if they gave it some proper thought.

EDIT: Maybe not, unless there's a wholesale shake up

Why micropayments will never be a thing in journalism - Columbia Journalism Review
    Maybe not then, but I suppose it depends on how well they are doing on the subscription model. Maybe it would work better for smaller publications that people aren't as likely to sign up for. I can only speak for myself, but I'm not likely to be signing up for any media subscriptions, but I would pay as I go quite happily - so there is at least some revenue that they are missing out on here. How to get some of that revenue without eating their own lunch is probably a more difficult problem.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Better than nothing.
    No, it's worse than nothing because once you charges micropayment it's going to be nigh to impossible to shift to proper pricing.

The Guardian is very affordable for what it charges, now the Times is overpriced

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    You’d be happy. but not the newspaper
    Better than nothing. I suspect they could end up earning more from a micro payments model if they gave it some proper thought.

EDIT: Maybe not, unless there's a wholesale shake up

Why micropayments will never be a thing in journalism - Columbia Journalism Review
    Last edited by ladymuck; 5 January 2021, 12:01.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    I'd be happy with a pence per article fee maybe based on the length of the article and the cover price of the physical paper.
    You’d be happy. but not the newspaper

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by mattster View Post
    What I don't understand is why some form of "micropayment" aggregator doesn't exist that could, under one subscription, allow you to view articles that you find interesting for a few pence a time. I'm sure I heard the idea floated years ago, and it makes perfect sense to me. The problem at the moment isn't just the idea of paywalls, its the fact that you would need to juggle so many different subscriptions to so many different publications that it all gets a bit too much. I'd be more than happy to pay for content as I use it, but I'm not adding another 15 standing orders to my bank account. If someone isn't working on this, they should be - and it would probably work out well for the publications as well. People baulk at the idea of even a relatively small monthly subscription, but not at a one-off 5p spend in the moment. I've no doubt quite a few places would end up getting £5 a month off me.
    I'd be happy with a pence per article fee maybe based on the length of the article and the cover price of the physical paper.

Leave a comment:

• mattster
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I predict a rise in news aggregators.
    For less than the cost of a times (murdoch version) sub you can get Apple news. That includes the times and Wall Street journal and some rubbish.
    But I expect we will see more of this over the coming year.
    What I don't understand is why some form of "micropayment" aggregator doesn't exist that could, under one subscription, allow you to view articles that you find interesting for a few pence a time. I'm sure I heard the idea floated years ago, and it makes perfect sense to me. The problem at the moment isn't just the idea of paywalls, its the fact that you would need to juggle so many different subscriptions to so many different publications that it all gets a bit too much. I'd be more than happy to pay for content as I use it, but I'm not adding another 15 standing orders to my bank account. If someone isn't working on this, they should be - and it would probably work out well for the publications as well. People baulk at the idea of even a relatively small monthly subscription, but not at a one-off 5p spend in the moment. I've no doubt quite a few places would end up getting £5 a month off me.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    What kind of women do you follow Paddy ?
    Asking for a friend?

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Same thing happens when you follow some women.
    What kind of women do you follow Paddy ?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    The site is blocked unless you register; unless it changed from yesterday.
    Working fine for me.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    I'm not seeing any evidence of this. What's the source of this particular nonsense?

They have always asked for contributions but have equally always said they will provide news for free online.
    The site is blocked unless you register; unless it changed from yesterday.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X