• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Move to remote working and the impact on the contractor market?"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    i see the OCD troll's around again.
    And a Merry Christmas to you, Sir!

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    i see the OCD troll's around again.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    I've been 99% WFH for the last 14 years.
    based in NL and UK, clients all over Europe.
    I won't be changing this.
    Neither will they

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I've been 99% WFH for the last 14 years.
    based in NL and UK, clients all over Europe.
    I won't be changing this.

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you WFH loads before the pandemic it will continue. Some of my clients have had large amounts of WFH as it saved them loads of money on office space.
    I really do hope you're right.

For a number of the clients I've worked with, the only reason for the significant amounts of WFH has been because either 1) they've been US based so it didn't really matter where I worked or 2) they were moving to agile working which, let's face it, was another way of saying they didn't have sufficient desk space so would often have to go onto a desk booking/rota type system.

Leave a comment:

• reddog
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    If you WFH loads before the pandemic it will continue. Some of my clients have had large amounts of WFH as it saved them loads of money on office space.
    I worked at one place a few years ago, that built an impressive Google style building with the "smart work" concept, with no one having their own desk.

We were told by the country head, please work at home as much as you want, you are actually doing us a favour if you WFH. One problem, the manager in our area was very old school and insisted every one had to be on-site at all times, unless they have a good reason not to be. I think this sort of attitude will soon disappear.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Remote working will remain a norm as long as it needs to and no longer. As we were given a taste of things to come in September with the constant rhetoric from government about returning to offices, as soon as they think it is safe to do so the propaganda, rhetoric and spin machines will kick into motion. Whether commercial or residential property, there are Conservative party donors to think of who won't take kindly to the decimation of their property values if companies move out of large cities.

For the record I think we'll see remote working continue for the majority of 2021 and perhaps even into early 2022 but after that expect a push to have people pointlessly commuting (when they can work from home) to bolster GDP.

Having spent much of the last 4-5 years in various contracts with large amounts of WFH, I expect this to stop.

I think the death of the office is vastly overrated.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by ShandyDrinker View Post
    Remote working will remain a norm as long as it needs to and no longer. As we were given a taste of things to come in September with the constant rhetoric from government about returning to offices, as soon as they think it is safe to do so the propaganda, rhetoric and spin machines will kick into motion. Whether commercial or residential property, there are Conservative party donors to think of who won't take kindly to the decimation of their property values if companies move out of large cities.

For the record I think we'll see remote working continue for the majority of 2021 and perhaps even into early 2022 but after that expect a push to have people pointlessly commuting (when they can work from home) to bolster GDP.

Having spent much of the last 4-5 years in various contracts with large amounts of WFH, I expect this to stop.

My client is not renewing its office lease any any of its 5 world wide locations

WFH forever

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• ShandyDrinker
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Offshoring will be to new places - like Bham

HS2 is for the Directors to escape back to London just in time for the Opera

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Yes 180 day guys are just as good as 900 London in office 9-5 guys

Plus will work 5 hours a day more
    Nah. They actually work fewer hours for you. They're just quicker workers. With multiple concurrent clients.

Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    That is why nearshoring is a thing. CZ is booming with Deutsche Bourse et al.
    Nearshoring is good, however you still can lose out on continuity. Anyway, rates will generally increase there while decreasing here... then increase again. They won't be cheap for ever.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by reddog View Post
    I would definitely agree that CZ, Slovakia, Poland is the way to go instead of India, which is still painful even after all these years.

Anyone get any opinions on Vietnam as an offshore location? Seems to be a fast growing location.
    I read about Wipro (I think, I may have mis-remembered but it is one of the Indian outfits) setting up a base in Vietnam and committing to hiring about 3,000 locals. It seems to be creeping onto the scene.

Leave a comment:

• reddog
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post

Transferable skills are where it is at. Have a backup plan for your IT career. I would not recommend motorsport at the moment.
    I would definitely agree that CZ, Slovakia, Poland is the way to go instead of India, which is still painful even after all these years.

Anyone get any opinions on Vietnam as an offshore location? Seems to be a fast growing location.

Leave a comment:

• anonymouse
    replied
    Public sector contractor. WFH until Covid is under control, then back in the office 5 days a week. The office is under Tier 4, we have been in Tier 3 for months.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    WBS says.Offshoring works in certain specific scenarios, but as soon as you need real skill it becomes rapidly less cost effective.

Transferable skills are where it is at. Have a backup plan for your IT career. I would not recommend motorsport at the moment.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X