• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Ultra secure cybersecurity company hacked"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Wong time of year for a gas embargo. Need to wait until March.
    Reliance on ruskie gas is likely what is driving the phase out of gas boilers.

With all the rain the UK should invest in more hydropower, such as little waterwheels in the gutter downpipes. One for dragons den, if get a patent.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    aye, - right!
    Not so hard now, are you?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Dare you to try doing a runner without paying.
    aye, - right!

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Dare you to try doing a runner without paying.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Is that still open? Haven't been there for 25 years.
    Wong Kei Restaurant, Chinatown, Soho - London, UK 6PY - 020 7437 8408

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    as in wong kei?
    Is that still open? Haven't been there for 25 years.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Start of the Chinese New Year then

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    as in wong kei?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    No, it's great time - reserves are full and plenty of liquid gas are around the world, demand will fall in March - best part is that the way Russian gas production works is that if you stop it then you are fecked.

Gasprom is Put1ns personal money too.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Oil and gas embargo until NATO inspectors are allowed to inspect all Russian IT systems to be satisfied that not a trace of data was kept, plus guilty extradited for trials up to the top chain of command.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Sanction Russia to stop them using Visa, MasterCard and other international payment systems.
    Oil and gas embargo until NATO inspectors are allowed to inspect all Russian IT systems to be satisfied that not a trace of data was kept, plus guilty extradited for trials up to the top chain of command.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In my own experience, most hacks are internal or done by disgruntled ex-staff
    Well, when the main password was (presumably they've now changed it) apparently "SolarWinds123" () they only have 2FA to overcome and an inside job (either corrupt, duressed, or disgrunted staffer) makes that simple.

I guess with clown world we're now into the realm of top Trump password complexity. Though 'covfefe' was a tad harder to break than 'MAGA2020'

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Deter?

Perhaps the US could send some digestive biscuits to the Kremlin and ask nicely? Short of continued tangible threats and action I don't know what deterrence would work. The main issue now is that if the US intelligence agencies receive authorization to disable many Russian core infrastructure assets, then it seems they may be able to reciprocate. One thing Russia doesn't have is good infrastructure and a plan B or C. I feel sorry for the people living there, having visited myself. It's a tuliphole, even in Moscow, unless you are well connected and rich. I'm only glad that nowhere in developed countries do we see such misinformation and poverty as they see in Russia. The average age of male death says all we need to know.

Throughout the world at transit interconnects, within carrier networks, traffic is monitred by UK's GCHQ and the USA's NSA. When the Russian government state they aren't a part of a hack, well, that part is difficult to dispute. However it is absolutely possible to prove that the packets used to complete the hack came from Russia. Given that multiple VPNs and TOR will have been used, it is a more complex task to piece the information together - but piece the intelligence agencies will and it will be demonstrable that the Russian government was involved in this, if that is indeed the case.

China has a flourishing private sector and I do not believe they would wish to have tit-for-tat attacks, especially towards private sector businesses. What does Russia have? I can count the tech and products I've used from Russia on one hand. Well, on one finger actually.

It's about time that the west considers cutting off Russia from the internet once the evidence is in on this longer term hack that has ocurred. Given most fair countries own the transit points and interconnects it seems the only way to resolve Russia behaving rogue. They are a fossiel fuel powerhouse, but that is it. They don't have much to offer other countries, the food is extremely poor and the populace seem happy to accept it being this way. A few years hard labour on the Russian government seems fair enough.
    Sanction Russia to stop them using Visa, MasterCard and other international payment systems.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Indeed, have none of them ever watched Mr Robot?

qh

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

Working...
X