• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DOOM: Annuity rates"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    One man's junk is another man's treasure.

27/11/16 to 27/11/17
    Annual return 16.69%
    Please remember past performance is not a guide to future returns. This information is provided to help you choose your own investments, remember they can fall as well as rise in value so you may not get back the original amount invested.

27/11/19 to 27/11/20 Annual return 0.66%

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied

27/11/16 to 27/11/17
    Annual return 16.69%
    As Nassim Taleb said do not pick pennies in front of a steamroller
    Last edited by Andy2; 30 November 2020, 14:35.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    70% junk bonds, the rest BBB.

I'll pass.

27/11/16 to 27/11/17
    Annual return 16.69%

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    70% junk bonds, the rest BBB.

I'll pass.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Yes, that is the plan.
    Cool. I was worried you planned to take the pension out completely and get hit with a 40% tax bill (after the 25% is taken tax free). You'd be surprised how many people don't realise that - I worked for a pensions advisors co and we had loads of clients who thought they could take their pension pot all tax free and wanted to buy a BTL - they were royally shocked to learn that only 25% was tax free and they would get smashed by a 40% tax bill on the rest of it.

There is so little understanding out there on some pretty important, but simple, financial matters. No wonder scammers find some easy targets!

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I assume you're keeping your capital (after tax free lump sum) within your pension pot? So your bonds/stocks are all part of the remaining pension capital?
    Yes, that is the plan.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    If an annuity works for you, then fine, hand over the hundreds of thousands of £££ and sit back and get 3.5% return until you die.

For me, I would be happy to manage property at 55 years old and bond and stock portfolio and let me family inherit the wealth I've accumulated. I reckon I can get nearer 5% return overall and possibly some capital gains too.

You might buy the annuity and die 2 years later and your family get nothing.
    I assume you're keeping your capital (after tax free lump sum) within your pension pot? So your bonds/stocks are all part of the remaining pension capital?

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    why would a pensioner buy property and deal with the hassle of problem tenants
    bonds and shares are all time high and may go pop
    bank interest is pitiful 0.5 %
    i checked on a website and it seems annuity provides 3.5% return which is not bad
    If an annuity works for you, then fine, hand over the hundreds of thousands of £££ and sit back and get 3.5% return until you die.

For me, I would be happy to manage property at 55 years old and bond and stock portfolio and let me family inherit the wealth I've accumulated. I reckon I can get nearer 5% return overall and possibly some capital gains too.

You might buy the annuity and die 2 years later and your family get nothing.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    I cannot see why anyone would convert a large sum of money into an annuity rather than buy property and high yield bonds and shares and live off the rent + dividends + interest?

At least that way when you pop off you can leave the wealth to family / Battersea dogs home.
    why would a pensioner buy property and deal with the hassle of problem tenants
    bonds and shares are all time high and may go pop
    bank interest is pitiful 0.5 %
    i checked on a website and it seems annuity provides 3.5% return which is not bad

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Sounds like you have it all sorted. AMD to the moon, then sell up and buy an annuity.
    By the time of my retirement in post Brexit Britain getting a rat trap will be deemed as the best retirement option in exchange for 100000000 bottle caps...

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    What does class W mean?

These bonds look like a bigger scam than annuities - at least with those they can just repay you back your own money and then keep some, less chance they’ll scam whole capital
    Sounds like you have it all sorted. AMD to the moon, then sell up and buy an annuity.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    What does class W mean?

These bonds look like a bigger scam than annuities - at least with those they can just repay you back your own money and then keep some, less chance they’ll scam whole capital

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    And how do they guarantee yield?

Don’t forget HL fees

In any case 3% is rather pathetic when capital is a risk
    Well, you can have no risk in a bank and get 0.1%

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Fidelity MoneyBuilder Income (Class W) Income Fund Price & Information

Distribution yield : 2.93%
    Income paid: Monthly
    Type of payment: Interest

Return 27/11/18 to 27/11/19 10.08%
    Return 27/11/19 to 27/11/20 5.86%

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    You buy them for the yield generally. If you want to make money on capital appreciation, buy AMD shares.
    And how do they guarantee yield?

Don’t forget HL fees

In any case 3% is rather pathetic when capital is a risk

Leave a comment:

Working...
X