• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Kids

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Kids"

Collapse

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyEnglish
    When my son was 5 he called up Lombard direct for a loan. The woman asked if he was a little boy and he replied that he wasn't and then gave over my details and DOB. When she asked what he wanted the money for he said that he wanted £9781 to buy a Ferarri. At that point she ended the call.

He also called who wants to be a millionaire, got the qualifying question right but was non plussed when Tarrant didn't ring him up to invite him on the show.

He has even called adult chat lines - luckily we found this one quickly when he asked his Grandma what gay and bisexual meant while he was on the phone.

Yeh right - blame your 5 years old for all your drunken phone calls

Leave a comment:

• BoredBloke
    replied
    When my son was 5 he called up Lombard direct for a loan. The woman asked if he was a little boy and he replied that he wasn't and then gave over my details and DOB. When she asked what he wanted the money for he said that he wanted £9781 to buy a Ferarri. At that point she ended the call.

He also called who wants to be a millionaire, got the qualifying question right but was non plussed when Tarrant didn't ring him up to invite him on the show.

He has even called adult chat lines - luckily we found this one quickly when he asked his Grandma what gay and bisexual meant while he was on the phone.

Leave a comment:

• gables
    replied
    Originally posted by wobbegong
    They'll only do it once! They have to learn to take responsibility for their actions.
    I'm not into giving my kids 'blank cheques', literal or otherwise.
    Agreed, I dunno how we managed without mobiles.

I remember an episode that I guess won't happen nowadays. I had been on a school trip walking Offa's Dyke, I arrived at Ealing where I was to meet the people I was staying with. However, I hadn't managed to phone earlier so tried her office number but she had already left, they wouldn't give me her home number. I thought no probs I'll look in the phone book, have seen how many Smith's there are in Ealing!! Anyway, I ended up sleeping in a taxi rank (small hut) outside of the station, the next day they come by the station and of course found me waiting.

I was okay, they had shat themselves - wish I had a bloody mobile, mind you it was 1980!!

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    another Argggggg !!

Cooked lovely sea food stir fry for everyone, the kids call me - all the student exchange in the class decide to go to Pizza Hut ...Humph !!

Well I get to have their share of the food

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    They used to do a PAYG phone that allowed you to call home even if the credit has run out.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by SandyDown
    I thought of pay as you go, but knowing my kids they'll run out of money then they'll be stranded some where they can't phone me...
    They'll only do it once! They have to learn to take responsibility for their actions.
    I'm not into giving my kids 'blank cheques', literal or otherwise.
    Last edited by wobbegong; 30 January 2007, 12:29. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    The exchange student arrived last night, a lovely girl from Italy.

I don't earn any money from having exchange students, the deal is I have the kid in our house for a week, then one of my kids goes and stays over with her family in Italy for a week - hence the exchange word :-)

Must admit it was nice to hear the kids talking an laughing last night, they do like having these exchanges, I think its a good experience.

My daughter's bill which I received at Xmas was £500

I thought of pay as you go, but knowing my kids they'll run out of money then they'll be stranded some where they can't phone me... I know all about the reverse charges etc but I already signed a contract so wont be able to cancel it before a year.

Leave a comment:

• wobbegong
    replied
    Originally posted by zeitghost
    So how much was this phone bill?

The suspense is killing me...
    Same here . . . I hope it lasts!

Surely if you give a kid a monthly billed mobile you've got to expect regular unpleasant surprises. Mine both have pay as you go. Use that up texting your mates (that you only saw half an hour ago) so there's none left to phone me to ask for a lift, then enjoy the walk! They soon learn.

Leave a comment:

• realityhack
    replied
    its fun having house full of exchange student sometimes
    Is this a US student or something? Good luck with your food budget.

Leave a comment:

• tim123
    replied
    btw: I want to make a bet with you all, wonder if you can guess the answer to this,

Guess the total value of my daughter's mobile bill (which I received at Xmas)
    My sister's kid managed 600.

About half of which was 'SMS delivery receipts' which don't come out of the 'allowance' and were all charged separately at 30p a pop (or similar). (then she decided that she needed that option turned off)

tim

Leave a comment:

• Churchill
    replied
    Originally posted by Board Game Geek
    The best thing about hearing other people's kid woes, is the comfort that me and Mrs BGG don't have any and can do what the flip we like with no hassles.

I have the greatest admiration for those who succumb to the biological terrorism of societal peer pressure, but it ain't our cross to bear.
    Steady, you'll be setting yourself up as a target for ShaunBhoy.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    Strange one this, when I was 14 my mum arranged for a french tw@t to spend about 3 weeks at our house, without my agreement, who I was expected to look after.
    He was a right arrogant t*sser who was constantly bored, hated everything and thought the world should make his life wonderful.
    I tolerated him as much as possible and my mum realised it wasn't the easy money earner she envisaged and never made the mistake again.
    Anyway - enjoy.

Leave a comment:

• Board Game Geek
    replied
    The best thing about hearing other people's kid woes, is the comfort that me and Mrs BGG don't have any and can do what the flip we like with no hassles.

I have the greatest admiration for those who succumb to the biological terrorism of societal peer pressure, but it ain't our cross to bear.

Leave a comment:

• SandyDown
    replied
    Originally posted by Numptycorner
    Therein lies the problem

yeh that happens when you have kids, in your case it happens when you have a g/f a wife or kids. At least the kids grow up one day!!

Leave a comment:

• Numptycorner
    replied
    The account is in my name - so I get the bill, they just spend the money
    Therein lies the problem

Leave a comment:

Working...
X