• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "A clever PR stunt...not"

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Nowadays I just go for Brexiteers in a barrel.
    Boats tend to be more stable than barrels. HTHBIDI

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Most of the fish is probably imported whereas most British landed fish is exported. If only there were some kind of free trade phytosanitary club of nearby countries that the UK could join to minimise red tape for the movement of fast perishing trade goods.
    Our local fishmonger is excellent... all their supply is from a Spanish supplier.

(BTW we moved away from hometown 30 years ago)

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Weird that, I live hundreds of miles from the coast yet we have 2 fish shops, both with fresh fish and quite a large variety. Makes you think doesn't it
    Most of the fish is probably imported whereas most British landed fish is exported. If only there were some kind of free trade phytosanitary club of nearby countries that the UK could join to minimise red tape for the movement of fast perishing trade goods.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    I grew up by a fishing port.

When I was a lad the fishmongers were full of a wide variety of wonderful fish, super fresh and tasty. The EU arrived and all the fishermen disappeared, the port lost its charm with rampant unemployment and the fishmongers went too. We got tulip from the supermarket at double the price.

You ignorant EU supporters need to look at the EU fisheries policy in some detail, trawlers are required to throw back catch that exceeds their quota. That's not how fishing works - the EU is destroying the oceans!
    Weird that, I live hundreds of miles from the coast yet we have 2 fish shops, both with fresh fish and quite a large variety. Makes you think doesn't it

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    So why does it matter so much to the EU to maintain free access to UK waters? Or is it simply that you have quoted an article which suits your argument, and ignored any actual facts?
    blame the fishermen who decided to put their feet up.

Propaganda delivered the Brexit vote but it can’t land more fish | Polly Toynbee | Opinion | The Guardian

Each country is free to share out its national quota as it chooses – but free-market Britain, unlike others, let fishers sell their quotas abroad. The Dutch ship Cornelis Vrolijk, registered in Caterham, owns 23% of the entire UK quota. “Slipper skippers” sold their quotas abroad – it was easier to put their feet up than to fish.
    The fishing industry won't be revived post Brexit, the fishing ports will remain empty.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post

British fish stocks couldn't support the fish industry before the UK joined the EU.
    So why does it matter so much to the EU to maintain free access to UK waters? Or is it simply that you have quoted an article which suits your argument, and ignored any actual facts?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

When I was a lad the fishmongers were full of a wide variety of wonderful fish, super fresh and tasty. The EU arrived and all the fishermen disappeared, the port lost its charm with rampant unemployment and the fishmongers went too. We got tulip from the supermarket at double the price.

You ignorant EU supporters need to look at the EU fisheries policy in some detail, trawlers are required to throw back catch that exceeds their quota. That's not how fishing works - the EU is destroying the oceans!
    The UK fishing industry has been declining since the end of WWII

Fish fights: Britain has a long history of trading away access to coastal waters

From the late 1950s, the amount of fish landed per unit of power declined at a faster rate than fish landings, as the fleet continued to expend more and more effort to maintain the size of catches. However, this effort was all in vain and by 1980 catches had declined to their lowest point in a century.
    falling fish stocks combined with the improvements in the range and power of the fleet in the post-war years led Britain’s fishers to seek new waters, with more boats moving further away from the UK to catch enough fish to meet domestic demand. And this long range trawling brought the UK fleet into conflict with Iceland.
    British fish stocks couldn't support the fish industry before the UK joined the EU.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I grew up near an airport, it does not make me an airline pilot.
    The old man grew up in a brothel... oh, I see now.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    Thank goodness!

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

When did the Russian factory trawlers appear on your timeline?

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    I wonder who owns British fishing rights

Ohh hang on

302 Moved

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    IThe EU arrived and all the fishermen disappeared, the port lost its charm with rampant unemployment and the fishmongers went too
    1. The arrival of the EU and disappearance of fishermen may two disconnected events.
    2. Even if they are connected, it could well be the way the UK implemented EU policies that decimated the industry.

I'm going for 2.

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Rearden Metal
    replied
    well done all for resisting the obvious "she can grab hold of my tackle anytime" line.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X