• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Doom - Mat Hancock is a f***wit"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    Remember this: UK looks to Belgium for Covid inspiration despite infections rise | World news | The Guardian

Belgium has been cited by the UK health secretary, Matt Hancock, as a model for getting coronavirus under control – just as its public health body recorded a 15% rise in the number of daily infections compared with the previous week.
    Hancock had praised Belgium as he sought to justify strict new laws on social gatherings in England, including the so-called rule of six people, limiting the size of social groups.
    That worked well:

Belgium is losing control of the second wave of the coronavirus pandemic and is very close to being overwhelmed by a “tsunami” of infection, the country’s health minister has said.

Frank Vandenbroucke, the federal minister, told the broadcaster RTL that Belgians needed to radically alter their behaviour.

He described the situation in francophone Wallonia in the south and in the country’s capital, Brussels, as “the worst, and therefore the most dangerous in all of Europe”.

He said:

We are the most affected region in all of Europe. We are really close to a tsunami … that we no longer control what is happening. Today, we can still control what is happening, but with enormous difficulties and stress.

If it continues to increase, the number of hospitalisations will be such that we will have to postpone more and more non-Covid care, which is also very dangerous. [The government] has only one message to the public: protect yourself, protect your loved ones, so as not to be contaminated.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post

I would be insulted if I was the latter.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    I just noticed that Shapps did his interviews from his home office...
    Welwyn Hatfield isn't far from Westminster.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Moral Duties - YouTube

Enjoy a bit of Jonathan Pie on Moral Duties

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I just noticed that Shapps did his interviews from his home office...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    He should be leading by example...
    Loopy stuff. While the Irish government isn't (IMO) doing as good a job opening up again as they did closing down (and I accept it is harder), they've got much more sensible advice on working:

People should work from home where it is possible to do so during the COVID-19 pandemic. On 18 August 2020, the Government announced additional public health measures, including that people should work from home unless it is absolutely essential for them to attend in person. These measures will remain in place until 13 September 2020.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    He should be leading by example...

Originally posted by Grant "also a ****wit' Shapps View Post
    What we’re saying to people is it is now safe to go back to work and your employer should have made arrangements which are appropriate to make sure that it is coronavirus-safe to work and you will see some changes if you haven’t been in for a bit as a result.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Wasn't it actually 'Stay Alert'?
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'd rather have someone prepared to go "off-message" in charge, especially when the last message was 'stay at home' and everything since has been contradictory in one way or another. SueEllen thinks everyone in govt is a f**kwit, regardless. Still, the pubs should be open soon, that should cheer her up a bit...
    Sent from my 5g carrier pigeon

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I thought they'd dropped the WFH message in favour of "work safely" a few weeks back anyway.

I quite like MH, I mean he is absolutely lacking in the merest crumb of charisma but I don't really want ministers skilled in media razzle-dazzle.
    What do you like that he has done? Just curious, maybe i genuinely missed something but seems like he has mishandled a lot during this whole situation.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I'd rather have someone prepared to go "off-message" in charge, especially when the last message was 'stay at home' and everything since has been contradictory in one way or another. SueEllen thinks everyone in govt is a f**kwit, regardless. Still, the pubs should be open soon, that should cheer her up a bit...
    Hard to argue against SueEllen on that point

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I thought they'd dropped the WFH message in favour of "work safely" a few weeks back anyway.

I quite like MH, I mean he is absolutely lacking in the merest crumb of charisma but I don't really want ministers skilled in media razzle-dazzle.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by jayn200 View Post
    He is an idiot but not because of this particular comment.
    Now that I completely understand.

Leave a comment:

• jayn200
    replied
    He is an idiot but not because of this particular comment.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    How so? I CBA to read the article so I'm taking the thread title and your quote.

How is he a f***wit if he thinks output is better than presenteeism? He's off message but I care less about that than being a sensible manager.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X