• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Cost of cambelt change?"

Collapse

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Had the belt changed this morning. FWIW, the mechanic reckoned the old one (8 years old, 11,000 miles) looked as good as new (no sign of wear or deterioration).

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Nah, it was a petrol 5 cylinder Marea smoke generating machine.

A remarkable piece of crap and no mistake.

The only duff Fiat I bought.

Fiat Marea - Wikipedia

The one I miss most is the 2 litre Croma Super IE.

I loved that car but the tin worm got it.
    I had a Lancia Beta with a 2 litre twin cam engine. Loved that car, of course the tin worms got terrible indigestion eating that one in an afternoon.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Nah, it was a petrol 5 cylinder Marea smoke generating machine.

A remarkable piece of crap and no mistake.

The only duff Fiat I bought.

Fiat Marea - Wikipedia

The one I miss most is the 2 litre Croma Super IE.

I loved that car but the tin worm got it.
    Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 16 July 2020, 12:06.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    What model was that?
    This one I'm guessing

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Changing the cambelt on one of my ancient Fiats would have cost £1000 20 years ago.

Engine out job.

Fecking brilliant.

I scrapped it.
    What model was that?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Changing the cambelt on one of my ancient Fiats would have cost £1000 20 years ago.

Engine out job.

Fecking brilliant.

I scrapped it.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    If it ain’t got PDK it isn’t worth sheet

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If it ain’t got PDK it isn’t worth sheet

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    There is a small sweet spot of low emission cars registered before April 2017 where VED is no more than £30:

Cars with cheap road tax | BuyaCar

My parents have the Ford Fiesta (#9 on the list) and it's quite nippy.
    I wouldn't mind the Lexus IS 300h

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    There is a small sweet spot of low emission cars registered before April 2017 where VED is no more than £30:

Cars with cheap road tax | BuyaCar

My parents have the Ford Fiesta (#9 on the list) and it's quite nippy.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    In which case an Audi TT is not a good choice. I would recommend a car that is cheap to insure, cheap to tax, reliable and easy to maintain.

25 most unreliable cars | What Car?
    If I lived somewhere where I could walk to local shops and amenities, I'd ditch the car altogether.

The road tax is a bit high at £260.
    But the insurance ain't bad. £208 with LV, which includes breakdown cover and protected no claims.

And the only thing that's gone wrong on the car, in the 8 years I've had it, is an electric window mechanism.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    Retired early. Time rich. Money not so much.
    Checked the service book for the car last night. It's only done 469 miles since 25 Apr 2019.

With insurance, road tax, servicing, MOT, cost per mile must be astronomical.
    In which case an Audi TT is not a good choice. I would recommend a car that is cheap to insure, cheap to tax, reliable and easy to maintain.

25 most unreliable cars | What Car?

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Checked the service book for the car last night. It's only done 469 miles since 25 Apr 2019.

With insurance, road tax, servicing, MOT, cost per mile must be astronomical.

Leave a comment:

• DealorNoDeal
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    So something you will have done what, every five years, so a cost of about £100 a year, and you have devoted half your life to this subject?

You probably spend more on crisps or light bulbs in a year....
    Retired early. Time rich. Money not so much.

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied
    Apparently, later models of the TT have a timing chain rather than a belt. I think most cars many years ago used to have chains.

It's always seemed a bit daft to me using a piece of rubber for something as crucial as the camshaft on an interference engine. I wonder whose bright idea that was.
    Every BMW I had over the last 20 years had a timing chain. Doesn’t mean the chain won’t degrade though. I stretched a timing chain on my last BMW. Fortunately under warranty, was a £2500 fix, free to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X