• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: BLM London Protest

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "BLM London Protest"

Collapse

• mrdonuts
    replied
    vetran was the clear winner in that discussion

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I like vetran, leave him alone.
    WWS

He keeps a good humour.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    yes, give it up. I don't say this because I agree with you, but simply that vetran has demonstrated over and over again that he is utterly incapable of following a logical radical argument. He simply doesn't see the contradictions in his reasoning. He can't.

Trying to have a radical discussion with vetran is like trying to explain the difference between green and red to a blind man...who insists he has perfect colour vision
    I like vetran, leave him alone.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Give it up.
    yes, give it up. I don't say this because I agree with you, but simply that vetran has demonstrated over and over again that he is utterly incapable of following a logical radical argument. He simply doesn't see the contradictions in his reasoning. He can't.

Trying to have a radical discussion with vetran is like trying to explain the difference between green and red to a blind man...who insists he has perfect colour vision

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    So you agree that it says nothing about destiny. Excellent.
    no.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    hmm yeah
    So you agree that it says nothing about destiny. Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    It doesn't suggest that at all. I gave you a definition. It says nothing about destiny.
    hmm yeah

a baby boy narrowly escaped death’
    ‘A family who narrowly escaped with their lives after their home went up in flames have been dealt a second blow after burglars broke into the damaged house and stole hundreds of pounds worth of goods.’

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Escape suggests they were destined to go to trial. They weren't..
    It doesn't suggest that at all. I gave you a definition. It says nothing about destiny.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Do you think they were tried in the British sense of the word?

It is incorrect. They escaped trial because they succeeded in avoiding trial. I know you respond well to dictionary definitions, so:

Escape | Definition of Escape by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Escape
    Escape suggests they were destined to go to trial. They weren't.

Now if you think that they should have gone to trial why do YOU think the grand jury got it wrong? They were surely in the best place to decide.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    They were not tried in the American sense of the word.
    Do you think they were tried in the British sense of the word?

They did not escape trial they were not sent to trial because the legal system after due process decided not to indict them.

Do you believe this was incorrect? If so why?
    It is incorrect. They escaped trial because they succeeded in avoiding trial. I know you respond well to dictionary definitions, so:

Escape | Definition of Escape by Oxford Dictionary on Lexico.com also meaning of Escape

1.2 Succeed in avoiding or eluding something dangerous or unpleasant.‘the driver escaped with a broken knee’

More example sentences

‘a baby boy narrowly escaped death’
    ‘A family who narrowly escaped with their lives after their home went up in flames have been dealt a second blow after burglars broke into the damaged house and stole hundreds of pounds worth of goods.’
    ‘A Colchester couple and their nine-year-old son narrowly escaped with their lives after the tsunami hit their beachfront apartment in Sri Lanka.’
    ‘Shots were fired and Tony narrowly escaped with his life.’
    ‘A man narrowly escaped with his life after crashing into the back of a lorry at around 11.45 pm.’
    ‘As it was, the boy escaped with a couple of bruises.’
    ‘A seven-year-old boy miraculously escaped with only slight bruising and cuts after a brick thrown through a bus window hit him in the face.’
    ‘Give your children the basics on how to avoid and escape potentially dangerous situations.’
    ‘This three-month old baby escaped with a fractured wrist, but is now an orphan as both parents were killed.’
    ‘His death comes less than a fortnight after another employee of the company escaped with minor injuries after also being shot at while driving his car in the city.’
    ‘The rest of those in the car escaped with minor cuts and bruises.’
    ‘His friend, Neil, escaped with cuts and bruises in the assault.’
    ‘An elk jumped through his family's downstairs window, crashing into the kid's bed, but the toddler escaped with just a scratched cheek.’
    ‘The lorry driver escaped with minor injuries after his vehicle came to rest on its side facing back south after hitting the stationary car.’
    ‘The 17-year-old driver escaped with cuts and bruises.’
    ‘A police officer escaped a bizarre accident with only minor injuries on Monday when a Port Authority crane overturned and smashed the boat he was in.’
    ‘Last year, two North Yorkshire Police officers escaped speeding charges in neighbouring Cleveland because of a technicality.’
    ‘Elsewhere, police and civilians escaped injury in a failed grenade attack on a police station on the border.’
    ‘Even West Swindon's police station hasn't escaped the epidemic with the messy scrawl appearing all over it.’
    ‘The bus driver escaped injury but police warned the attack could have had serious consequences.’
    ‘Because they are so young, they are likely to escape prosecution, but police have agreed to hand over their names and addresses to bus bosses.’

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Stop trying to shift the argument I'm not interested in whether they were punished. That's up to a court to decide after a trial and a guilty conviction.

My point is that they are not tried.

Are you still trying to claim that the examples I gave you were tried, or do you concede that they escaped trial?
    They were not tried in the American sense of the word.

They did not escape trial they were not sent to trial because the legal system after due process decided not to indict them.

Do you believe this was incorrect? If so why?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    OK i you don't understand that is fine.

Please supply details of any case where you feel the police officers (in UK or US) did not receive effective punishment after a death in custody and why.

I would suggest you avoid cases where the suspect was intoxicated or aggressive when they were restrained or detained.
    Stop trying to shift the argument I'm not interested in whether they were punished. That's up to a court to decide after a trial and a guilty conviction.

My point is that they are not tried.

Are you still trying to claim that the examples I gave you were tried, or do you concede that they escaped trial?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Fail. There is nothing in that meaning of escape to give that idea that they should have been tried.

The prisoners escaped from prison.
    The children escaped from the kidnappers.

The dictionary is no help to you at all, I'm afraid.
    OK i you don't understand that is fine.

Please supply details of any case where you feel the police officers (in UK or US) did not receive effective punishment after a death in custody and why you feel that.

I would suggest you avoid cases where the suspect was intoxicated or aggressive when they were restrained or detained.Also avoid those that were reviewed by a proper third party.
    Last edited by vetran; 9 June 2020, 16:33.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    CUK=Contractor UK!

Escaped trial sort suggests they should have been tried so if my definition varies across the pond then my meaning surely doesn't.
    To get free ?
    Fail. There is nothing in that meaning of escape to give that idea that they should have been tried.

The prisoners escaped from prison.
    The children escaped from the kidnappers.

The dictionary is no help to you at all, I'm afraid.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Don't you two have any work?
    Yes. Done it now, until later at least.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X