• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "100's of millions will die a horrible death due to Chinese virus"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    I'm vaguely interested in the versions without strings. You can hear the beginnings of the Genesis sound, so for completeness, it's worth it.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I was thinking of making a joke concerning the second song on Genesis' first album. But it turns out it's called "In The Beginning".

On a more important subject, do you use less and fewer correctly?
    I had to google that one, it's not part of my Genesis collection (and with very good reason, it's pretty terrible). In future, I will listen to it less often, or on fewer occasions.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    The contemporary meaning is, not to put too fine a point, right, literally by definition. Word meanings change over time. It's usage now that matters.

Nice used to mean silly.
    Silly used to mean worthy or blessed.
    Hussy used to mean housewife
    Egregious used to mean conspicuously good. Now it mean conspicuously bad.

Famously, when Charles II saw Christopher Wren's St. Paul's Cathedral for the first time, he called it "awful, pompous, and artificial." Meaning roughly: Awesome, majestic, and ingenious.

TL;DR - don't be a prat.

Brexit used to mean Brexit.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    get corona virus done
    "Send it packing" is the preferred boosterism.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    get corona virus done

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    I was thinking of making a joke concerning the second song on Genesis' first album. But it turns out it's called "In The Beginning".

Stop being mean.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied

I use fewer on less occasions mostly.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Unfortunately Mordac is suffering from the etymological fallacy. He should consider that next time he drinks a spirit (and consider Genesis 1:2, NAT).

Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    It still does in my house...

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    The contemporary meaning is, not to put too fine a point, right, literally by definition. Word meanings change over time. It's usage now that matters.

Nice used to mean silly.

Famously, when Charles II saw Christopher Wren's St. Paul's Cathedral for the first time, he called it "awful, pompous, and artificial." Meaning roughly: Awesome, majestic, and ingenious.

TL;DR - don't be a prat.
    It still does in my house...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied

Nice used to mean silly.

TL;DR - don't be a prat.
    As is:

An Austrian army awfully arrayed
    Boldly by battery besieged Belgrade.

I haven't heard that Charles II quotation. Thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately Mordac is suffering from the etymological fallacy. He should consider that next time he drinks a spirit (and consider Genesis 1:2, NAT).

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    The contemporary meaning is, not to put too fine a point on it, wrong.

Nice used to mean silly.

TL;DR - don't be a prat.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    No it isn't. You're just poorly educated.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    To be pedantic, you were stating the historical meaning of decimate. The contemporary meaning is:

kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of.
    "the inhabitants of the country had been decimated."

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Will someone teach those Americanists English, please. Decimate means 'remove every tenth individual, or reduce by a tenth'.
    And while we're being pedantic, a 'rabbit' is something a lady uses when she doesn't have a man, or she does have a man but he's not up to the job. God help female-kind if that ever gets hit by a virus...

To be pedantic, you were stating the historical meaning of decimate. The contemporary meaning is:

kill, destroy, or remove a large proportion of.
    "the inhabitants of the country had been decimated."

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Will someone teach those Americanists English, please. Decimate means 'remove every tenth individual, or reduce by a tenth'.
    And while we're being pedantic, a 'rabbit' is something a lady uses when she doesn't have a man, or she does have a man but he's not up to the job. God help female-kind if that ever gets hit by a virus...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X