• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Treasury blueprint to raise taxes"

Collapse

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
    Exactly. Since everyone is working from home, we don’t need HS2.

The government needs to see how this working from home boom works out, so they don’t waste money on public transport. ..
    You're right of course, but common sense doesn't come into it. HS2 was/is part of a grand EU scheme for a beefed up Europe-wide rail network, and despite Brexit the Government seems determined to press ahead for some unfathomable desire to ingratiate themselves with the EU (and in part maybe for the expected kickbacks, as elsergiovolador pointed out above).

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Wasn't so long ago some were saying it would be more worthwhile spending a fraction of the HS2 budget (whatever it was estimated to be at the time) on upgrading the UK's internet connectivity to get 'everyone' onto super fast broadband via fibre (to the premises ideally) or 5g where that made more sense in rural areas.

Now many are seeing the benefits of WFH even if that won't continue to be full time when some normality returns, that type of infrastructure spending now seems a no brainer.

They can use the rail network to move freight instead of all those trucks.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by caffeine man View Post
    Exactly. Since everyone is working from home, we don’t need HS2. The government needs to see how this working from home boom works out, so they don’t waste money on public transport.
    Especially as a good public transport infrastructure makes disease spread more easily.

Leave a comment:

• courtg9000
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Over 30 years
    Hold the land they have purchased for HS2 for 5 years and give it to and my mates to sell. Tidy ROI there.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Cancelling HS2 would save £100 billion for a start.
    Over 30 years

Leave a comment:

• caffeine man
    replied

Come on Boris, you know it makes sense (cancelling it I mean, not HS2 itself! ).
    Exactly. Since everyone is working from home, we don’t need HS2. The government needs to see how this working from home boom works out, so they don’t waste money on public transport.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Oh and never mind HS2.. The Crossrail grand opening is going to be a blast.

Leave a comment:

• CheeseSlice
    replied
    Can't we just burn the Quantitative Easing paperwork and pretend none of this ever happened?

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied

Come on Boris, you know it makes sense (cancelling it I mean, not HS2 itself! ).
    How is he going to tell friends that there will be no more bids for HS2 contracts? Party is nothing without its donors.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    They'll privatise the NHS by way of a new coronavirus national insurance.

Then clawback all the furlough money by retrospective tax changes targetting those that 'took furlough when it wasn't necessary'.

Tax rises in a global recession? Only fools and horses work.

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    It seems like a good time to tax drug sales. It is a shame that self employed dealers enjoy tax free profits when everyone else has to pay huge sums to the taxman.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    “ Treasury officials have advised the Chancellor not to wait too long to introduce any tax rises. Suggestions include announcing a medium-term plan for the public finances in the summer, alongside any further economic rescue packages related to the coronavirus crisis.

This would "enhance credibility and boost investor confidence", the Treasury has argued, adding: "There may also be advantages to using current political capital."”

Revealed: The increased taxes – and some new ones – on the menu to counter GBP337bn budget deficit

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by TheGreenBastard View Post
    I'm pretty cynical about the current NHS love in. I would say the gov is doing a very good job of programming the general population, readying them for tax hikes that can be passed under the guise of "save our NHS", with near impunity. Kids will be writing in chalk "increase our taxes! save our NHS!" in a neighbourhood near you.
    “Prepare for next pandemic” - not where most of money will go to, obviously

Increase in Nhs spending (which was promised already) will require lots of dosh

Leave a comment:

• TheGreenBastard
    replied
    I'm pretty cynical about the current NHS love in. I would say the gov is doing a very good job of programming the general population, readying them for tax hikes that can be passed under the guise of "save our NHS", with near impunity. Kids will be writing in chalk "increase our taxes! save our NHS!" in a neighbourhood near you.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X