• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Will it be possible/worthwhile to buy a Roller later this year?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    881 VDU is an original, unique one-off.
    It's three Mk1 donors used to build an almost identical car to VDU 881, as it would have been when Hawthorne's tweaks had been applied.

I mean, I'd prefer an E-type, but 881 VDU is a very nice car.
    More here and the link above.

'Mike Hawthorn Golden Boy ... it has to be the best motorsport book I've ever read' - Ten-tenths Forum! - the story of people who have painstakingly recreated Mike's Jaguar Mark 1 Saloon, VDU 881. The original car was destroyed by Jaguar on Lofty Eng

An E type is nice I rode in one 25 years ago. but a little impractical with the kids.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    881 VDU is an original, but it's not VDU 881, that was destroyed by Jag after the Guildford accident.
    Yes, we know.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    Go on...

881 VDU is an original, unique one-off.
    It's three Mk1 donors used to build an almost identical car to VDU 881, as it would have been when Hawthorne's tweaks had been applied.

I mean, I'd prefer an E-type, but 881 VDU is a very nice car. This was the last time I saw it - in 2012, driven by Nigel's daughter, Sheri:

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    881 VDU is an original, but it's not VDU 881, that was destroyed by Jag after the Guildford accident.
    Go on...

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    The original?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    The original?
    its a MK1 I prefer the Mk2 (S-Type) younger & faster WTFH can only cope with an old lady

Jaguar MK2 VS S-Type and 420 - Classic Car Reviews | Classic Motoring Magazine

VDU 881 was Mike Hawthorn's car.
    Mike Hawthorn Jaguar Mk1 Saloon | Roach Jaguar Suffolk

881 VDU is a tribute.

Mike Hawthorn Golden Boy' coming soon in paperback! - the story of 881 VDU, Nigel Webb's recreation of Mike's 3.4L Jaguar Mark 1 Saloon, VDU 881, Chassis S970806DN. When Nigel offered me the chance to drive the car, I climbed behind the big (standard

Its pretty but the MK2 beats it for more modern looks IMO. Also the 3.8 lump is supposedly very impressive.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The original?

I'd be happy with Nigel's

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    I'd prefer 881VDU.
    The original?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    there you go

I'd prefer 881VDU.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    there you go

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Wait untill I hit the Absinthe, I will be recommending Alfa Romeos.

Your problem is you can't handle it/them.

And if you could, I'd suggest:
    3 measures of Foxhole Gin (can substitute Silent Pool)
    2 measures of Moskovskaya Vodka (for a different take, try Arbikie)
    1 measure of Kubler Absinthe (Larusse is another option)

Serve over ice with a twist of lime.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    FTFY
    Wait untill I hit the Absinthe, I will be recommending Alfa Romeos.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    The A8 comment was completely whiskey related. My bad.

FTFY

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Do you mean "through the roof", which means soaring upwards, or "through the floor" ?

I assume it will be the latter, although I may be wrong for some counter-intuitive reason.
    Through the roof. People will not want the outlay / long term finance on new cars due to employment insecurity, but do not want to take public transport.

MK1 & MK2 BMW Mini's seem to be the current trend.

The A8 comment was completely unrelated. My bad.
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 13 May 2020, 20:14.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Do you mean "through the roof", which means soaring upwards, or "through the floor" ?

I assume it will be the latter, although I may be wrong for some counter-intuitive reason.
    It's a pooper contrarian position.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X