• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: F***ING P***ed Off

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "F***ING P***ed Off"

Collapse

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Imagine a disaster that nobody knows about in a remote island. They will receive no relief shipments.

If a journalist reports on it, it is no longer in a state of 'not being know about', and will hopefully receive relief shipments. So the reporting by the journalist changes the state of the event.
    Real life example. Michael Buerk reporting the Ethiopian famine in 1980. He's a bit of a hero there apparently.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Ignorant prick. You forgot the Flat Faced Fen ****ers of the East.
    I was staying 'high level'. Sub-genres are not required here !

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
    Anyone who lives south of Watford Gap Services is a F**kin' Cockney, anyone between Watford Gap Services and Carlisle is a 'Southern Fairy'.
    Ignorant prick. You forgot the Flat Faced Fen ****ers of the East.

Leave a comment:

• TestMangler
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    they’re not cockneys they’re mostly Eastern European. They seem to have a problem with socially distancing or understanding the ******* rules
    Anyone who lives south of Watford Gap Services is a F**kin' Cockney, anyone between Watford Gap Services and Carlisle is a 'Southern Fairy'.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Sexist

Diod she mean MaryPoppins?

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    Good the idiot woman has gone.
    Sexist

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Imagine a disaster that nobody knows about in a remote island. They will receive no relief shipments.

If a journalist reports on it, it is no longer in a state of 'not being know about', and will hopefully receive relief shipments. So the reporting by the journalist changes the state of the event.

Ah yes, Schrödinger's Journalist Experiment.

Similar to the: If a tree falls in the woods and nothing hears it, does it make a noise?
    or:
    If a husband says something and his wife isn't around, is he still wrong?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    That all sounds a bit quantum to me.

Or is it that if there is no-one there to record it, the event didn't happen? Sadly that's impossible nowadays with them darned mobile phones.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Journalism has a similar observer effect to physics. By reporting on an event, the journalism is changing it from an unreported event to a reported event.
    That all sounds a bit quantum to me.

Or is it that if there is no-one there to record it, the event didn't happen? Sadly that's impossible nowadays with them darned mobile phones.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

Nicely nicely, populist, pretending to not be trying in vain to protect the economy. It's going to be far better for everyone concerned if we get this virus under control, with speedy harsh measures than it is to pussy foot around to protect an economy we are arguably damaging by drawing this out.

The sooner we follow the lead of countries that have "flattened their curve" the sooner we will. But oh no, we're Boris's Britain, we don't need advice , supplies, or assistance from anyone.
    Lived through a lot of these pandemics have you? Nah.....thought not. Get off your soapbox with your "wise-after-the-event" horsesh!t.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    It's a bit like all the photos in the press showing people congregating, surely the photographer was also part of the crowd?
    Journalism has a similar observer effect to physics. By reporting on an event, the journalism is changing it from an unreported event to a reported event.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Reminds me a of a manager complaining that every time he went for coffee, my team was there. Funny that. Every time we went for coffee, he'd turn up a few minutes later. I think he was lonely.
    It's a bit like all the photos in the press showing people congregating, surely the photographer was also part of the crowd?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    If you know this, then you were also there...
    Reminds me a of a manager complaining that every time he went for coffee, my team was there. Funny that. Every time we went for coffee, he'd turn up a few minutes later. I think he was lonely.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Cockney's don't come from Lambeth

#justSayin'

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    they’re not cockneys they’re mostly Eastern European. They seem to have a problem with socially distancing or understanding the ******* rules
    If you know this, then you were also there...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X