• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Not Made in China

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Not Made in China"

Collapse

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    He was just kidding
    I wouldn't joke about 5G.

Boris Johnson ‘changes his mind’ over Huawei mobile deal | News | The Sunday Times

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Well, that'll be a first.
    He was just kidding

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by elsergiovolador View Post
    Boris apparently changed his mind about Huawei and is looking to pull out...
    Well, that'll be a first.

Leave a comment:

• elsergiovolador
    replied
    Boris apparently changed his mind about Huawei and is looking to pull out...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by unixman View Post
    Cabin fever rant incoming...

In return for cheap manufacturing, the West has so far "overlooked" China being a horrible dictatorship. The PRC has, reportedly, 2 million Muslims in camps, terrible human rights, working conditions from hell - the usual totalitarian features. Meanwhile the Western political class and media has been bought off and hasn't a bad word to say about the PRC.

And I'm as guilty as the next man - buying lots of shiny Chinese goods while preferring not to think about the slaves who made them, about suicide nets, about misery and non existent H&S.

This virus is Communism's latest gift to the world. If/when it is over, China will have to change and so will the attitude of the rest of the world. If China reforms and moves towards openness and democracy as a result, that will be a positive thing.
    *Cough*

My Google for "trump disinfectant" - 353 million results
    My Google for "uighur muslims" - 6.3 million results

My Google for "trump disinfectant site:bbc.co.uk" - 134000 results
    My Google for "uighur muslims site:bbc.co.uk" - 1600 results

My Google for "trump disinfectant site:www.theguardian.com" - 2810 results
    My Google for "uighur muslims site:www.theguardian.com" - 1120 results

The Don makes a faux pas and within 48 hours Auntie has given it 8 times as much coverage as Chinese people in gulags ? The Guardian twice as much ? That's with my filter bubble of course. Try it with yours...

oh and searching for "who" is tricky as it's a common word but

""world health organisation" china site:bbc.co.uk" - 6920 results
    "trumps hair site:bbc.co.uk" - 51800 results
    So do you still think that the media hasn't a bad word to say about the PRC? Because you seem to have change tack.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Pretty relaxed death-defying journey through the desert.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    "feeding two migrants and offering them beds after an arduous, death-defying journey through the desert"

Cirque du Soleil should do a version.
    Lets say some of the US gulags have their own issues

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    Interestingly the US with a population of 300 million has 2 million in gulags whereas China has a population 3 times the size with almost half that number in gulags.

Statistically you are far less likely to end up in a gulag in China than you are in the US.

US citizen jailed in a gulag for a offering humanitarian aid
    "feeding two migrants and offering them beds after an arduous, death-defying journey through the desert"

Cirque du Soleil should do a version.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Tongue in cheek.
    Good.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    As soon as you compare the Chinese legal system favourably to the US, you've lost the argument. The US system is a very long way from being perfect, but the Chinese system is a whole lot worse. Don't be a ****ing moron.
    Tongue in cheek.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Interestingly the US with a population of 300 million has 2 million in gulags whereas China has a population 3 times the size with almost half that number in gulags.

Statistically you are far less likely to end up in a gulag in China than you are in the US.

As soon as you compare the Chinese legal system favourably to the US, you've lost the argument. The US system is a very long way from being perfect, but the Chinese system is a whole lot worse. Don't be a ****ing moron.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Humanitarian Scott Warren, for example, was just found not guilty in his second trial on felony harboring charges for the crime of feeding two migrants and offering them beds after an arduous, death-defying journey through the desert

Leave a comment:

• unixman
    replied
    Well done for finding 9 articles over 3 months on this very grave subject. Now compare with the full spectrum coverage of President trump being rude to someone in a press conference. Meanwhile WHO acts as a repeater station for radio Beijing, while obediently blocking Taiwan from membership. Their assistant director general actually hanging up the phone live on air rather than acknowledge Taiwan's independent existence. FFS.

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    That's the spirit! Ignore the proof that you are wrong and plough on regardless.

I bet you think that the Western media has ignored the WHO's treatment of the Republic of China.
    *Cough*

My Google for "trump disinfectant" - 353 million results
    My Google for "uighur muslims" - 6.3 million results

My Google for "trump disinfectant site:bbc.co.uk" - 134000 results
    My Google for "uighur muslims site:bbc.co.uk" - 1600 results

My Google for "trump disinfectant site:www.theguardian.com" - 2810 results
    My Google for "uighur muslims site:www.theguardian.com" - 1120 results

The Don makes a faux pas and within 48 hours Auntie has given it 8 times as much coverage as Chinese people in gulags ? The Guardian twice as much ? That's with my filter bubble of course. Try it with yours...

oh and searching for "who" is tricky as it's a common word but

""world health organisation" china site:bbc.co.uk" - 6920 results
    "trumps hair site:bbc.co.uk" - 51800 results

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by PurpleGorilla View Post
    Difficult I agree - especially when you get down to sub components - but I will do my best to not to buy made in China.

Some useful labelling “Not Made in China” will be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Is it even possible to not buy Chinese goods anymore, from phones to pharmaceuticals China has a hand in it.

If anyone is on the bench put together a website of alternative goods.
    Difficult I agree - especially when you get down to sub components - but I will do my best to not to buy made in China.

Some useful labelling “Not Made in China” will be helpful.

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

Working...
X