• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Covid-19: Eyes and ears on the ground reports... what isn't being reported?"

Collapse

• ladymuck
    replied
    If you have a good quality, well balanced, diet there should be no need to take additional supplements of anything. Taking too much of any nutrient can do more harm than good.

Of course, if your diet is gin and chocolate then perhaps a supplement may be advisable.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The snag is excess doses of Selenium may cause, or increase the risk of, Type 2 diabetes:

2010-09-231 A prospective study of dietary selenium intake and risk of type 2 diabetes

But it's interesting that soils in Northern Italy, and China, are both short of Selenium, as those countries have been clobbered hardest by the virus.
    Yep as always you have to find out the appropriate dosage of Selenium ie 100 to 200 μg/day.

And you are of course correct in stating that China and Italy are short of Selenium (is the UK??) apparently this scenario increases the chances of vira mutation, OK some more on this

Selenium defficiency creates a weakening of the defense against infectious diseases, especially those caused by viruses. Selenium deficiency may lead to viral genome mutations from a benign (mild) virus to a highly virulent (dangerous) virus. An adequate supply of macro- and micronutrients is vital to support host immune defense and resistance against dangerous disease-causing microorganisms. The modern-day diet is often not sufficient to meet the increased demands for micronutrients in infectious diseases. Many areas of the world have selenium deficient soils.

Dietary multimicronutrient supplements containing selenium up to 100 to 200 μg/day have potential as safe and inexpensive additional therapy in viral infections. Dietary supplementation with selenium-containing multimicronutrients might also be useful to strengthen the immune system of patients suffering from newly emerging viral diseases, such as in the current epidemic of Ebola fever in West Africa. Populations in several countries most afflicted by past and current outbreaks of Ebola fever (e.g., Liberia, Guinea, Democratic Republic of Congo) show a high risk of selenium deficiency. Interestingly, the lowest dietary selenium supply in Africa was reported from Liberia, with a daily intake of only 23 μg Se.

People battling with the aftermath of an acute or chronic viral infection with such viruses as the Epstein Barr Virus (glandular fever), Coxsackievirus, herpes, Ross river, etc may be able to improve far more quickly with supplemental selenium. I would also ensure plenty of zinc and vitamin C for their proven anti-viral effects.

References:
    Adv Nutr. 2015 Jan; 6(1): 73–82.
    Published online 2015 Jan 7. doi: 10.3945/an.114.007575
    The Journal of Nutrition, Volume 133, Issue 5, May 2003, Pages 1463S–1467S, Selenium Deficiency and Viral Infection | The Journal of Nutrition | Oxford Academic
    Seleniumfacts.com
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 April 2020, 23:29.

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    This page intentionally left blank.
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 April 2020, 22:58. Reason: purge

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Or talks. I suppose that is largely covered by exhales, but pronouncing certain consonants such as "P" would tend to expel more droplets.

Actually I wonder if there's any variation in the average number droplets expelled in talking different languages, i.e. are some more "spitty" than others?
    Gadzooks Old Bean might be an idea to look at the stats for the Netherlands ...

You may be A Doctor - but I am The Doctor...

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by AlfredJPruffock View Post
    Folks

There is some speculation that Selenium - which has proven to has anti-viral properties before as I recall in the treatment of SARS/Ebola - just might be benefical in helping you to prevent SARS2 ie COV19,
    The snag is excess doses of Selenium may cause, or increase the risk of, Type 2 diabetes:

2010-09-231 A prospective study of dietary selenium intake and risk of type 2 diabetes

Growing evidence raises concern about possible associations of high selenium exposure with diabetes in selenium-replete populations such as the US. In countries with lower selenium status, such as Italy, there is little epidemiological evidence on the association between selenium and diabetes. ..
    But it's interesting that soils in Northern Italy, and China, are both short of Selenium, as those countries have been clobbered hardest by the virus.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Scoobos View Post

"People can catch COVID-19 from others who have the virus. The disease can spread from person to person through small droplets from the nose or mouth which are spread when a person with COVID-19 coughs or exhales. ...
    Or talks. I suppose that is largely covered by exhales, but pronouncing certain consonants such as "P" would tend to expel more droplets.

Actually I wonder if there's any variation in the average number droplets expelled in talking different languages, i.e. are some more "spitty" than others?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Aye MarkyMark - good job - and of course least we forget - Laughter is the the best medicine !
    Indeed it is, I may lose both my sense of taste and smell if I get it, but hopefully not my sense of humour

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post
    I have been taking Wheatgrass since November. As well as many other things it's rich in Selenium and good for the immune system in general.

Wheatgrass Benefits: 50 Doctor Approved Reasons To Drink Every Day
    Aye MarkyMark - good job - and of course least we forget - Laughter is the the best medicine !

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Folks

There is some speculation that Selenium - which has proven to has anti-viral properties before as I recall in the treatment of SARS/Ebola - just might be benefical in helping you to prevent SARS2 ie COV19,

The takeaway is that by esnuring you have sufficent Selenium in your diet (Brazil Nuts Milk Eggs are good sources) or as a supplementary pill (but dont over do it) could be of benefit in helping you to ward of viral infactions in general - now obviously at the mo there is not a ciincal trial for COV19 as its too early - but there are previous studies with othere vira out there - if readers are intereested I will post these as well,

Bottom line adding Selenium to your diet is a good idea for protection against vira in general - its very cheap well last time I looked Brazil Nuts werent too expensice - and worthy of consideration - pleaase research yourself and as always - Boys and Girls do take care ...you cant be too carefull these days !

You May be A Doctor - but I am The Doctor.

Preventing and Protecting Against Coronavirus – Is Selenium The Answer? Blog | ZRT Laboratory
    I have been taking Wheatgrass since November. As well as many other things it's rich in Selenium and good for the immune system in general.

Wheatgrass Benefits: 50 Doctor Approved Reasons To Drink Every Day

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    This is Nuts ....

Folks

The takeaway is that by esnuring you have sufficent Selenium in your diet (Brazil Nuts Milk Eggs are good sources) or as a supplementary pill (but dont over do it) could be of benefit in helping you to ward of viral infactions in general - now obviously at the mo there is not a ciincal trial for COV19 as its too early - but there are previous studies with othere vira out there - if readers are intereested I will post these as well,

Bottom line adding Selenium to your diet is a good idea for protection against vira in general - its very cheap well last time I looked Brazil Nuts werent too expensice - and worthy of consideration - pleaase research yourself and as always - Boys and Girls do take care ...you cant be too carefull these days !

You May be A Doctor - but I am The Doctor.

Preventing and Protecting Against Coronavirus – Is Selenium The Answer? Blog | ZRT Laboratory
    Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 5 April 2020, 15:26.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    But now there's a new stain... Here's the last Corba meeting:
    A new stain eh? Explains the bog roll stockpiling.

Is Corba the Greek emergency committee?

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    He might, just about, have a point, however:

Men who perform oral sex on women 'more at risk of mouth and throat cancers' - NHS

Why is it that anything that's fun & enjoyable kills you?

In this case, slowly & unpleasantly.
    Happened to Michael Douglas aparantly

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    He might, just about, have a point, however:

Men who perform oral sex on women 'more at risk of mouth and throat cancers' - NHS

Why is it that anything that's fun & enjoyable kills you?

In this case, slowly & unpleasantly.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Maybe he takes the clothes off before engaging in the frankly disgusting and debasing act of fornication.
    Unorthodox on Netflix is very good.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Maybe he takes the clothes off before engaging in the frankly disgusting and debasing act of fornication.
    Only when done properly.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X