• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "For the COVID dimwits on this forum - I'm sure you know who you are"

Collapse

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    For loop at line 61...

covid-sim/Bitmap.cpp at master . mrc-ide/covid-sim . GitHub

I'm kind of in the "coding standards don't improve code" camp. You can get a bad programmer to follow all the received wisdom on brackets, loop depth, testability but it wont make better code than a good programmer not following them.

But this code is truly fooking terrible. I mean horrific. Storing population data in a bitmap with colour for state...

/* red for infected */
    /* blue for treated */
    /* green for recovered */
    /* grey for just people */

What is the colour for infected and untreated?

There needs to be a push to discredit this crap.
    Red

HTH

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    For loop at line 61...

covid-sim/Bitmap.cpp at master . mrc-ide/covid-sim . GitHub

I'm kind of in the "coding standards don't improve code" camp. You can get a bad programmer to follow all the received wisdom on brackets, loop depth, testability but it wont make better code than a good programmer not following them.

But this code is truly fooking terrible. I mean horrific. Storing population data in a bitmap with colour for state...

/* red for infected */
    /* blue for treated */
    /* green for recovered */
    /* grey for just people */

What is the colour for infected and untreated?

There needs to be a push to discredit this crap.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I’d like to see the unit/integration tests of that. I’m guessing there are none.
    I very much doubt it. But perhaps there are quantum eigentests, whose results are a superposition of all possible test results.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Comments are for wimps.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    I’d like to see the unit/integration tests of that. I’m guessing there are none.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    and which produces wildly different results even when fed the same random number seed

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by minestrone View Post
    Apparently the code is (or was, before Microsoft and John Carmack recently worked on it) a 15000 line unfathomable, uncommented mess, from which the model is next to impossible to discern, and which produces wildly different results even when fed the same random number seed.

We, the undersigned software engineers, call for any papers based on this codebase to be immediately retracted

The authors, including the prof, maintain that the code is intended to be stochastic in that only the results of many runs using different seeds should be used. But if an individual run with the same seed cannot be replicated (due to internal randomness, presumably using other randomisation techniques such as sampling the microsecond system clock) then how can they distinguish model randomness from random code artifacts or outright bugs? Seems a simple but crucial distinction.
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 10 May 2020, 17:40.

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Cease your unintelligent brain farting and read this paper. Even though it's not peer reviewed, rightly or wrongly, it's the paper that most govt. policy is now based on.
    The govt having backtracked on its "herd immunity" theory a week or so ago.

https://www.imperial.ac.uk/media/imp...16-03-2020.pdf

GitHub - mrc-ide/covid-sim

CovidSim.cpp

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    I'm under 50 (just), I don't have a beer gut, my wife is still with me and I've probably already had mild Covid.
    But keep projecting.

BTW. Hi Minnie!
    Hi Kirk D.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    Covid19 has a main feature - including among asthmatics, of which this patient (not me, I'm fine) in question has - symptoms akin to altitude sickness.

I'm sorry that you're to thick as pigtulip to perform more 'research' (LOL! As per your recent thread, prick) but perhaps you should concentrate on losing the beergut, as I see that in England so far there are a large proportion of 50-60 year olds in intensive care; suspect they've also been fond of the booze. I suppose that's all that's left to keep you company since your wife left you for that younger dude.
    I'm under 50 (just), I don't have a beer gut, my wife is still with me and I've probably already had mild Covid.
    But keep projecting.

BTW. Hi Minnie!

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    You don't seem to be severely short of breath to me , given your ability to type bollox.
    Covid19 has a main feature - including among asthmatics, of which this patient (not me, I'm fine) in question has - symptoms akin to altitude sickness. This doesn't require hospitalisation and requires rest at home. However go panic and waste 999 resources if you wish; I am attempting to discover the next best steps if the situation deteriorates and how far it has to do so before using up a hospital bed is necessary for this friend. It's called "using your brain" - but given your numerous idiotic posts it was obvious to us all many years ago that you don't really have one of any particular use to anybody.

I'm sorry that you're to thick as pigtulip to perform more 'research' (LOL! As per your recent thread, prick) but perhaps you should concentrate on losing the beergut, as I see that in England so far there are a large proportion of 50-60 year olds in intensive care; suspect they've also been fond of the booze. I suppose that's all that's left to keep you company since your wife left you for that younger dude.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I see the all-seeing prick is back in full action. The advice varies per country. Visit NHS inform - Scottish health information you can trust | NHS inform and you'll see that our advice is different.
    So why make a comment about what I did in England?
    You should call 999 immediately and tell them your prefrontal lobotomy has gone wrong, and you've merely turned into a moron.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    I see the all-seeing prick is back in full action. The advice varies per country. Visit NHS inform - Scottish health information you can trust | NHS inform and you'll see that our advice is different.
    You don't seem to be severely short of breath to me , given your ability to type bollox.

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Do you have severe shortness of breath? Why are you poncing around with 111? FFS get an ambulance.

3 doctors in separate conversations indicated 'severe' is hypoxia; this is not hypoxia. It's not a 999 emergency and you shouldn't be assuming your ego requires one under such circumstances.

You do entirely encapsulate what is accurate about the little Englander stereotype.

If it reads like a prick and moans like a prick, it's a prick. You're a prick.

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Incorrect you're supposed to use the online 111 service which tells you whether to ring or not.
    And in any case, apart from official advice from an incompetent govt, anyone with Covid symptoms SHOULD be tested so that data is obtained on denominators.
    You know that piece of data that Whorty was so proud he had worked out we didn't have.

The dimwittery continues with the idiots giving the wrong advice.
    Here's the official advice page:

Coronavirus (COVID-19)
    - NHS

Stay at home if you have either:

a high temperature – this means you feel hot to touch on your chest or back (you do not need to measure your temperature)
    a new, continuous cough – this means coughing a lot for more than an hour, or 3 or more coughing episodes in 24 hours (if you usually have a cough, it may be worse than usual)

To protect others, do not go to places like a GP surgery, pharmacy or hospital. Stay at home.

Use the 111 online coronavirus service to find out what to do.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X