• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Coronavirus is a contracting planet killer for contracting"

Collapse

• Nut
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Rules in Germany and Holland I presume

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    Ah I see

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Nut View Post
    Wait, what's this?
    Rules in Germany and Holland I presume

Leave a comment:

• Nut
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    If I recall correctly, a contractor here who cannot work can claim up to 6 weeks of earning based on their tax returns for the previous year. So if you earned 120,000 in 2018, you would claim around 2,300 a week for the weeks you couldn't work for up to 6 weeks. Not too bad....
    Wait, what's this?

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    Forget Brexit

Forget 5000 on the FTSE (your pension will be 1/2 when it hits 3500)

Forget inside or outside IR35

Forget umbrella take home pay

Forget SDS for gods sake

Forget loan schemes

Forget working again this year
    Choose life.

qh

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Happening imminently at ClientCo
    Not quite you but similar:

Gatwick Airport said it has terminated the employment of 200 staff as part of “decisive action to protect the business”, PA reports.It will also be closed to flights between midnight and 5.30am with immediate effect, except for emergency landings.
    The airport’s chief executive Stewart Wingate and his executive team will take a 20% salary cut and waive any bonus for the current financial year.

Leave a comment:

• hairymouse
    replied
    I guess it could be worse, like panic buying at the gun shop in the US.

I've always heard a statistic that the average person in the UK has something like £300 in savings and will be homeless if they miss one paycheck.

I'm also convinced that the media is not reporting the relief measures being implemented in other countries. I think the people will rise up soon and Coronavirus will be the least of Bojo's worries.

Leave a comment:

• Lost It
    replied
    In my "business" it's basically carry on until someone tells us to stop.

Not many builders get flu, they work in unheated cold and damp places for 9 months of the year so tend to have a pretty robust immune system. They also eat fairly healthily and don't sit in over heated stuffy offices. Different lifestyle, either you can do the work or you find something else.

IR35 was about to pretty much hurt the industry beyond compare but as long as there's work to do and supplies to do it the work will carry on as normal. That's what we are hearing on the ground.

I drove around the M25 this morning at 06:00. I have never ever seen the M4/Heathrow north bound cock up so clear of traffic. Whose drivers were not trying to wedge their Mercs and Audi's into a space a Smartfortwo would struggle to fit into.

Bring it on.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Companies that don’t cut deep and hard NOW (operations costs) will not survive

Prepare for the worse

Happening imminently at ClientCo

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    I'm feeling quite concerned. Thankfully I have a good warchest so provided I can be frugal I don't have to work again until I draw pension, but, there will be a heck of a lot of unemployment in a few weeks as companies close and lay people off, and will be a long time before the contracting market recovers, if it every does. I am starting to think about what I would like to re-train as - anything to avoid the need to work for the likes of a consultancy company and PDR's malarkey.....
    Companies that don’t cut deep and hard NOW (operations costs) will not survive

Prepare for the worse

Leave a comment:

• Wilmslow
    replied
    I'm feeling quite concerned. Thankfully I have a good warchest so provided I can be frugal I don't have to work again until I draw pension, but, there will be a heck of a lot of unemployment in a few weeks as companies close and lay people off, and will be a long time before the contracting market recovers, if it every does. I am starting to think about what I would like to re-train as - anything to avoid the need to work for the likes of a consultancy company and PDR's malarkey.....

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I'm currently self-isolating from IR35

Leave a comment:

• PurpleGorilla
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    and we were all worried about going from outside ir35 to inside
    I’m already inside ir35 and worried!

Leave a comment:

• PlanB
    replied
    Forget Brexit

Forget 5000 on the FTSE (your pension will be 1/2 when it hits 3500)

Forget inside or outside IR35

Forget umbrella take home pay

Forget SDS for gods sake

Forget loan schemes

Forget working again this year

Businesses in the next 4/8 weeks will shed permie and mostly contractors alike like water as reality bites and they have to slash operating costs just to survive

Mass unemployment with people unable to pay mortgage or rent from £99 a week from government handouts - government will give you nothing

Only 10% of contractors will be working on this day on May

My Mrs is ward manager at a hospital, so long as she stays alive and the UK doesn't collapse into some kind of mad max scenario she will be the very last person to lose their job. We also have no mortgage and are currently healthy and not in any of these extreme risk categories.

So currently thanking our lucky stars and thinking of those not as fortunate. Every pub, restaurant, theatre, cinema worker and anyone connected with transporting people anywhere is either at risk or on the dole.

I'd urge everyone to reach out to those around you, you're friends and family and try and help them get through this.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    and we were all worried about going from outside ir35 to inside

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    I’m calling bollocks to this

Certain actions by European countries are putting the UK to shame, for example, the government announced it would support up to £1bn of state-backed lending through the British Business Bank, as part of a wider £12bn package of support for households and firms. High street banks will also raise their lending by around £21bn to provide further support following talks with the Treasury. France, on the other hand, will underwrite additional loans worth €300bn (£273.3bn) – more than 300 times the level of UK support. Last week, Germany said it would expand lending at its KfW state-backed investment bank from €460bn to €550bn, while saying there was no upper limit on the amount of loans it would issue.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X