• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Tories and IR35

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Tories and IR35"

Collapse

• VectraMan
    replied
    Makes no difference who I vote for (Tory safe seat), but with Labour determined to ruin all our lives and the Lib Dems having got rid of the only good politician they had, I'm thinking I really will vote Tory next time around.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by Mailman
    Thats the spirit! Why vote for someone who could possibly improve your lot (hopefully remove a lot of the stealth taxes introduced by El Gordo) when you could just be a little sheep and follow everyone else.

Tony (and soon Gordo) relies on people like you!

Mailman
    Exactly - if the government of the day wants to make me better off, then so be it. But I'd rather vote along with my principles than purely looking after number one.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I got an email from David Cameron on this subject a few weeks ago.

Here it is if you are interested.

Yo Dim!,

How's it hanging in that there ghetto man?

To your point re the Intermedaries Legislation also known as IR35. Unlike Labour we are committed to anything green and anything that wins votes, so yes we are very likely to get rid of it, if it will cut CO2 levels.

Perhaps we can apply a Carbon tax on disguised employees and so make cycling to work more enjoyable for real businesses. That sounds "fair".

Anyhow, west side, you the man.

Yours,

David Cameron
    Leader of the Opposition

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by Bagpuss
    IMHO I thought they were making no taxation promises now?
    I'm pretty sure you are right. I'm just speculating on where I think their priorities will lay.

Leave a comment:

• Bagpuss
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    That bit of pondlife beat me to it.

The first link says they will abolish it "if we win the next general election". That was two elections ago so that pledge no longer holds.

The second relates to when Letwin was shadow chancellor. It wasn't a solid commitment, and anyway, we've had an election since then and it's been all change in the tory party.

Nevertheless....

I believe they'd like to get rid of it (and S660). However, they know that they need to make up the revenue from any taxes they cut, and they see things like inheritance tax as a higher priority.

So while IR35 still collects money from the volunteers, it has otherwise mostly died a death and can be left on the back burner.
    IMHO I thought they were making no taxation promises now?

Maybe the PCG need to lobby the Cameronster?
    Last edited by Bagpuss; 17 January 2007, 13:15.

Leave a comment:

• hattra
    replied
    Originally posted by wendigo100
    Hear hear.

Er, won't CUK end up on some terrorist list in the Ministry of Peace though?
    Of course, so remember to include a polite "Good Morning" to the nice people at GCHQ and Menwith Hill on every post, and you should be OK

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth
    Look 'ere expat, buffoon is right. Please try and keep in mind that calling for execution of new labour politicians is relevant to ANY thread on CUK.
    Hear hear.

Er, won't CUK end up on some terrorist list in the Ministry of Peace though?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Look 'ere expat, buffoon is right. Please try and keep in mind that calling for execution of new labour politicians is relevant to ANY thread on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• wendigo100
    replied
    That bit of pondlife beat me to it.

The first link says they will abolish it "if we win the next general election". That was two elections ago so that pledge no longer holds.

The second relates to when Letwin was shadow chancellor. It wasn't a solid commitment, and anyway, we've had an election since then and it's been all change in the tory party.

Nevertheless....

I believe they'd like to get rid of it (and S660). However, they know that they need to make up the revenue from any taxes they cut, and they see things like inheritance tax as a higher priority.

So while IR35 still collects money from the volunteers, it has otherwise mostly died a death and can be left on the back burner.

Leave a comment:

• Pondlife
    replied

Great if it's still true but the links are from Feb 2001 and Jan 2005. Do they still have the same ideas under Cameron's rule?

Leave a comment:

• andy
    replied
    My vote is for tories if they abolish IR35
    But need to confirm if they will actually do it

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    I never said that IR35 was treason. The treason I am on about is failing to perform the fundamental duty of any government: to protect the citizens of the country. In that they have not just failed, they have acted directly against the interests of the British people. This includes a multitude of offenses for example immigration, civil liberties, and lying to the House of Commons and the UN to take us to war.
    Excuse me. The thread title mislead me

Leave a comment:

• Buffoon
    replied
    Originally posted by expat
    I'd go for that. But for Iraq and "anti-terror" legislation, and cash-for-honours (though I think they are just greedier and more brazen than the Tories on that one, not different).

Not for IR35: IR35 is not treason, it's just budgetary policy that you don't like.
    I never said that IR35 was treason. The treason I am on about is failing to perform the fundamental duty of any government: to protect the citizens of the country. In that they have not just failed, they have acted directly against the interests of the British people. This includes a multitude of offenses for example immigration, civil liberties, and lying to the House of Commons and the UN to take us to war.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by zathras
    IR35 was introduced for one reason and one reason only. The big consultancies had successfully got rid of the independents in the US with IRS Rule 1706. They wanted to do the same thing in the UK and New Labour was in bed with at least one (maybe more) of them.
    Spot-on! Once a director of Andersen...

It did help that Labour (what's "New"?) never liked freelancers anyway: their natural world-view has everyone being either employed or an employer.

Leave a comment:

• expat
    replied
    Originally posted by Buffoon
    I want B'Liar tried/convicted on corruption and treason charges. Then he should be hung, drawn and quartered in Parliament Square live on prime-time telly.
    I'd go for that. But for Iraq and "anti-terror" legislation, and cash-for-honours (though I think they are just greedier and more brazen than the Tories on that one, not different).

Not for IR35: IR35 is not treason, it's just budgetary policy that you don't like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X