• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dissatisfaction with democracy 'at record high'"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Not much difference between Sunderland and Torquay eh? Do you work in the DPD logistics department by any chance?
    Not much difference between the lighted pitchfork marchers.
    The locations are very different. One is full of people living off benefits, staggering around, rude, hating those from the next big town, and the other is Sunderland

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Why not? A bunch of lighted pitchfork marchers going from Sunderland or from Torquay, not much difference.

As for Farage achieving his aim, yes, he’s now unemployed in the UK and the EU, and working for Donald Trump.

What worked well for him was setting up a Ltd and getting supporters to put money into it, thinking it was a political party they were funding.
    Not much difference between Sunderland and Torquay eh? Do you work in the DPD logistics department by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    This is a problem - and for me it is the a problem generated by pointless ******* desperate to be seen as middle class.

My kids are now getting to that point where they are moving towards A-levels and the concept of either of them not going to university as giving them palpitations - I mean how could they possible feel superior to other people in their social circles if they cannot 'brag' about which University the oh so clever grand daughters are going to and why that is better than the University your granddaughters are going to.

Classic example of this is that my sister in law got married to a squadie after he left the army - they got married quite 'late' in that I think they were both 38 or something - anyway when he left the army he was encouraged by sister in law and father in law to go to university and get a degree because it will open doors and he can earn more money.

So he now has a degree in History and Politics, he worked for about 2 years in recruitment (because yeah in reality a 38 year old ex squaddie with a degree in history and politics and an expectation of a large salary is not actually an attractive proposition for many companies) and now he 'runs his own business' which seems to mean he 'stays at home all day sat on his arse doing nothing'

Anyway the advice he should have been given is to either get a trade or take a course in basic coding or whatever as it would have made him a lot more employable.

So to sum up - we need to stop the middle class ******* looking down there noses at people who do not go to university because university does not necessarily mean you are employable.
    So to sum up - we need to stop the middle class ******* looking down there noses at people who do not go to university because university does not necessarily mean you are employable.
    but there are many on here who adopt this approach. I know three millionaires, who some on here would say were educationally challenged. They all left school at 15. Considering I have no qualifications, I haven't done too badly in life. In the 52+ years that I've worked in IT, I've never been out of work for more than 2 weeks. I know a chap with a PhD, who sells car brake parts for a living!

One of my daughters has an MA in English Literature, but it's her MCIPS that employers are interested in it seems.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I did read on a FB group a post from one person saying he's not going to London, as it would cut into his 'spoons time.
    Beer, sex, or band practice?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I did read on a FB group a post from one person saying he's not going to London, as it would cut into his 'spoons time.
    Chutney Spoons?

Dare I look that up on urban dictionary?

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    what happens on friday, then?
    anything exciting?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Never mind, eh? Soon be Friday!
    what happens on friday, then?
    anything exciting?

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Why not? A bunch of lighted pitchfork marchers going from Sunderland or from Torquay, not much difference.

As for Farage achieving his aim, yes, he’s now unemployed in the UK and the EU, and working for Donald Trump.

What worked well for him was setting up a Ltd and getting supporters to put money into it, thinking it was a political party they were funding.
    Never mind, eh? Soon be Friday!

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    As for Farage achieving his aim, yes, he’s got the champagne on ice ready to party in 48 hours time.
    ftfy

What worked well for him was listening to the populace at large and reacting sympathetically.
    ftfy as well

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Not really comparing apples to apples though is it?

Besides, Farage looks to have achieved his original aims anyway.

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Not really comparing apples to apples though is it?

Besides, Farage looks to have achieved his original aims anyway.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by shaunbhoy View Post
    Quite so....but soon it will stink in London and not in Brussels. Won't be so far to commute for those of a "lighted torch and pitchfork" persuasion.
    And that can only be for the best.

They didn’t get too far the last time...
    We asked if Nigel Farage will walk entire Sunderland to London Brexit 'March to Leave' route - Chronicle Live

Leave a comment:

• shaunbhoy
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I maintain the referendum was a protest vote against the very establishment we all have issues with.

The whole thing stinks.
    Quite so....but soon it will stink in London and not in Brussels. Won't be so far to commute for those of a "lighted torch and pitchfork" persuasion.
    And that can only be for the best.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Not really, there's just more stealing oxygen in parliament at the moment. Labour have a load licking their wounds and denying there was anything wrong with their Party or its manifesto.
    And some blamed the voters!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    No, not that much different, just there's a lot more of them
    Not really, there's just more stealing oxygen in parliament at the moment. Labour have a load licking their wounds and denying there was anything wrong with their Party or its manifesto.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X