• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "New Phone battery question"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by rogerfederer View Post
    The only argument for not charging above 80% is that it takes significantly more electricity to do so. It's relatively quick to get any device with battery charged to around 80%, but it takes almost the same length of time to then get from 80 to (as close as possible to) 100%.

If you want to save the source battery pack's life or wish to minimise your electricity bill then by all means charge just to 80%, but in reality it's peanuts and won't make a big difference.
    Helpful advice to PC when the leccy metre is on emergency.

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Well I dunno but I thought my phone was getting through its battery a bit quick could not see any thing obvious like an app chewing it up.

So I downloaded on of them battery/power manager apps - which insisted that it was better to charge your phone to only 80% - which is great except I charge my phone over night and do not really want it waking me up at 2am to stop it charging.

Anyway long story short battery seemed to be ok so uninstalled the battery app and no adverse effect at all.

The only argument for not charging above 80% is that it takes significantly more electricity to do so. It's relatively quick to get any device with battery charged to around 80%, but it takes almost the same length of time to then get from 80 to (as close as possible to) 100%.

If you want to save the source battery pack's life or wish to minimise your electricity bill then by all means charge just to 80%, but in reality it's peanuts and won't make a big difference.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Well I dunno but I thought my phone was getting through its battery a bit quick could not see any thing obvious like an app chewing it up.

So I downloaded on of them battery/power manager apps - which insisted that it was better to charge your phone to only 80% - which is great except I charge my phone over night and do not really want it waking me up at 2am to stop it charging.

Anyway long story short battery seemed to be ok so uninstalled the battery app and no adverse effect at all.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    IPhone? So you want Mossad to be able to take control of your smartphone?
    If you're right, at least there's someone who can control an Iphone...

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    It would simplify matters. I already auto-forward calls from pimps to them.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    The anoraks are out in full force tonight...

You're a contractor, you'll have a new phone before it becomes a problem.

HTH...

Indeed, I lost an iPhone in a snowball fight last year (was drunk and under pressure - so chucked my phone )

Can’t wait for a thread on remould tires and if any good for contractors

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    The anoraks are out in full force tonight...

You're a contractor, you'll have a new phone before it becomes a problem.

HTH...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Got a new phone yesterday and I don't know if I should let the battery die after first switch on or if that's not a thing anymore.

Is it still a thing? Done a poll...

iphone 11 (not pro) if that helps
    Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University Lots of useful information

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed to be the exception. Battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out of the battery as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim carries merits but if the scientists were totally right, then the battery would live forever. They blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped, but as with all battery systems, internal corrosion and other degenerative effects also known as parasitic reactions on the electrolyte and electrodes till play a role.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Jog On View Post
    Got a new phone yesterday and I don't know if I should let the battery die after first switch on or if that's not a thing anymore.

Charging Lithium-Ion Batteries – Battery University

Charging and discharging batteries is a chemical reaction, but Li-ion is claimed to be the exception. Battery scientists talk about energies flowing in and out of the battery as part of ion movement between anode and cathode. This claim carries merits but if the scientists were totally right, then the battery would live forever. They blame capacity fade on ions getting trapped, but as with all battery systems, internal corrosion and other degenerative effects also known as parasitic reactions on the electrolyte and electrodes till play a role.

Leave a comment:

• rogerfederer
    replied
    Sadly, for most products, it's necessary to still do this to a new piece of hardware.

Why? Simple: software no longer simply registers the battery depletion throughout use but instead has complex interactions with the batteries through circuitry designed to prevent the full capacity being used. Without this software interference you could probably run your phone for another fifteen minutest to half an hour, but using this 5% of remaining battery capacity results in it being unable to recharge to as close to 100% due to it damaging the overall battery structure internally with repeated attempts at full discharge.

Performing a (seeming) full discharge every month or two, and particularly when new, ensures the software calibrates the lower and upper limit of the battery installed. It's annoying to wait to use a product, but unbox it, charge it fully and wait an hour until after it reaches 100% and then use to supposed zero, then recharge fully. If you repeat this every couple of months you will extend the battery life.

An additional tip is to charge to full from around 35-40% if you can, as this prolongs LiOn battery rather than repeated charges from supposed 0%.

Don't charge from your laptop, use a mains plug where possible. The reason for this is that most motherboards charge using variable current when the laptop is powered on - as with desktops - and so this causes issues after a few months of doing so with affected motherboards. Most lenovos and macbooks have this issue. 1A charging when powered off is decimated to 200mA charging - that fluctuates from 100 to 300mA - when the laptop/desktop is powered on.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Yes it’s the 1980’s

Wear a tank top when doing this

At least one size too small, too

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Li-on batteries 'die' if you let them go fully flat.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Yes it’s the 1980’s

Wear a tank top when doing this

Leave a comment:

• Jog On
    started a poll New Phone battery question

New Phone battery question

Yes! It's totally still a thing
    9.09%
    No - this is 2019 and it's not a thing anymore
    72.73%
    Ask Andw's mum if she's not erm... 'busy'
    18.18%

Working...
X