• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "salary/rate information"

Collapse

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    Hmmm I am indeed in my 50s needing about 10 years (if I live that long). I am dubious about anyone needing PS skills but maybe I was wrong to move on to PS 2.0.
    Hmmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum
    as far as I know, Ford are still heavily into PS. I still prepare interfaces in PS format, which are now mapped to SAP format. There may be other clients doing the same.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I get that too but when I ask them to double the rate so its near my minimum rate they go away
    Wake up Vetty, wake up mate ... you're dreaming again

Actually, saying that, I have no idea what skills you sell so you may actually be telling the truth so I'll give you one of these just in case

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    Don't forget too that not all roles come to the open market. Probably 90+% of my roles have never reached Jobserve or LinkedIn. Agencies contact me directly (as well as other contractors on their books) - very rarely in my skillset do agencies need to go CV farming and having to trawl through the 100s of crap ones.

I assume this is very similar in many other areas of IT. If so for your sector, then the way to get the best rates is to build some good relationships with a select few agencies.

I get that too but when I ask them to double the rate so its near my minimum rate they go away

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Don't forget too that not all roles come to the open market. Probably 90+% of my roles have never reached Jobserve or LinkedIn. Agencies contact me directly (as well as other contractors on their books) - very rarely in my skillset do agencies need to go CV farming and having to trawl through the 100s of crap ones.

I assume this is very similar in many other areas of IT. If so for your sector, then the way to get the best rates is to build some good relationships with a select few agencies.
    This is true. ClientCo has people they like to work with and will try to source them first.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Si666
    replied
    Anyone got an genius on figuring out the market rates for a particular niche skill? I've been permie and contractor in turn sine 2007 - rates and salaries are basically the same (in some cases lower). I am wondering if that's just because I'm tulipe or if it's a general thing.
    Guess it depends how niche the skill is and how in demand it is. I'm pretty much doing the same crap I was doing in 2007 and my rate has almost doubled since then, but this is partly due to my changing sector. If I'd stayed in the same industry the rate would have gone up by about 60%. I think Glassdoor might give you an indication on "salaries" for similar jobs, not sure about rates though. Might be worth a look on there.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Hmmm I am indeed in my 50s needing about 10 years (if I live that long). I am dubious about anyone needing PS skills but maybe I was wrong to move on to PS 2.0.
    Hmmmmm

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Read an article recently, can't recall where, but there is good money to be made by us older guys in 'legacy' systems and languages. All the kids, and hence competition, is in the new shiny tools but there are still loads of companies out there with legacy systems and limited contractors who have the skills now to support them. If you're in your 50's and just needing 5-10 years of flexible work, then a system like PS is not a bad skill to have.
    I've been saying this for some time.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    I know some fellow contractors and employees making money from it, but it is slowly dying out. I don’t do it any more.

Read an article recently, can't recall where, but there is good money to be made by us older guys in 'legacy' systems and languages. All the kids, and hence competition, is in the new shiny tools but there are still loads of companies out there with legacy systems and limited contractors who have the skills now to support them. If you're in your 50's and just needing 5-10 years of flexible work, then a system like PS is not a bad skill to have.

Leave a comment:

• Peoplesoft bloke
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    Is PeopleSoft still in demand ?
    I know some fellow contractors and employees making money from it, but it is slowly dying out. I don’t do it any more.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
    I know some companies that still use Peoplesoft Finance; I managed a Finance Systems team not so long ago and our primary system was PS, although reporting had moved to Hyperion for both consolidation (HFM) and BI (Essbase). AR and AP was still managed via PS.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    In general when looking at a CV I am looking for content and experience and I normally prepared to overlook the occasional spelling or grammar mistake.

Mainly because I do not think I have ever recruited for a CV writer - if I did I would expect a 100% perfect CV - when recruiting for a coder or a project manager or a BA or one of a hundred other jobs which do not actually require a perfect CV I am normally happy to look beyond that - mainly because I am employing a person and they generally tend to be a lot more complex than can be realistically demonstrated in 2 sheets of A4.
    Everyone is different in how they recruit, but personally my experience shows that if someone is slack in their CV, their marketing if you will, then they are likely to be equally slack when on the job. If someone doesn't think it important to get their CV right, how can I trust them to take care if they are hired?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Says the big, fat, bald, lion molester.
    Hey, I have no recollection of that .... although the NDA the lion signed helped

Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Btw, paying to go on a safari doesn't make you a wildlife warden or master of the Serengeti. Just saying, like...
    I have indeed been on paid safaris, both prior to me training in SA and a couple afterwards when we were back working in London. Never been to the Serengeti though - Rouha and Selous were where we went in Tanzania.

But no, the training was formal FGASA registered and that is what both my good lady and myself are qualified in. I'm also a qualified tracker (loved learning tracking skills), having been trained by 3 of the top trackers in the world!

Leave a comment:

• fullyautomatix
    replied

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    In general when looking at a CV I am looking for content and experience and I normally prepared to overlook the occasional spelling or grammar mistake.

Mainly because I do not think I have ever recruited for a CV writer - if I did I would expect a 100% perfect CV - when recruiting for a coder or a project manager or a BA or one of a hundred other jobs which do not actually require a perfect CV I am normally happy to look beyond that - mainly because I am employing a person and they generally tend to be a lot more complex than can be realistically demonstrated in 2 sheets of A4.
    True to a certain extent. Then you get some CVs that are so bad that you wonder if they really believe they have "excellent attention to detail"...

Leave a comment:

Working...
X