• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DLA for son - OK I do feel a bit guilty"

Collapse

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    That could be quite alright - indicating that only appeals with good merit are re-examined. What really matters is how many claims are there in total, and how many would have been agreed if they had gone to tribunal.
    Well, no. Anyone can appeal the initial decision and if (when) that gets turned down, you have the right to go to tribunal. No-one will stop you doing this. You can put reasons down as "I want DLA because I'm a bit too lazy to get off the sofa" and you could take this to tribunal.

I think the worrying thing is that WAY TOO MANY are getting turned down initially incorrectly. The fact that "most" that go to tribunal are approved is wrong. Surely, a tribunal should just be there to catch the off few "mistakes" that slip through the net.

Of course, DWP know that a lot of people A) Won't bother to appeal the initial decision and B) Even if they do appear, won't bother going to tribunal. So its saving millions......

But then, how many disabled/learning difficulty people have to do this on their own? Not so easy. Took us almost 2 years to get the OK from the tribunal....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    See in the news 80% of claims that go to tribunal get agreed.
    That could be quite alright - indicating that only appeals with good merit are re-examined. What really matters is how many claims are there in total, and how many would have been agreed if they had gone to tribunal.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    London council's special needs inquiry caused by 'systemic failures' - BBC News

At least 5,000 children seeking special educational needs support (Send) are to have their cases reviewed after a London council landed a stinging rebuke from the local government ombudsman.

This does not surprise me at all. Getting help for my kids has been very difficult. I doubt many plebs could manage it.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    I wasnt talking about anyone. Just you.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    Never ceases to amaze me how much common sense and facts professional benefit scroungers are willing to ignore when there is a chance of claiming something.
    You really are something NLUK. You're attitude seems to be that ANYONE who claims any sort of benefit is to be frowned upon...... Honestly, it defies belief...

I'm with you - anyone who claims benefits fraudulently should be strung up BUT you seem to tar everyone with the same brush.

Do you think my son or others kids, or the kids themselves like being disabled just so they can claim benefits?

Perhaps we should go back to the middle ages - any disabled kids born, cull them at birth. Save a few quid on benefits....

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Never ceases to amaze me how much common sense and facts professional benefit scroungers are willing to ignore when there is a chance of claiming something.
    Try looking after a disabled child then see if you still agree.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    So anyone claim "WaterSure" (basically you get a fixed/cheap monthly cost for water rates instead of what you use)?

It says (for Wales anyway) that if you get DLA AND have 3 kids (I've only for two) OR the person in question uses SIGNIFICANTLY more water.....

Hmmm. Well he does I suppose. Because his condition has an element of OCD he generally washes in the shower for approx an hour. Same with towels - use once and they have to be washed.

Worth a try I guess.....

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    See in the news 80% of claims that go to tribunal get agreed. Not surprised at all. Took two years but the initial process and appeal seems to be an exercise in turning you down whatever you say.

The tribunal was very good. Three people on the panel who took time to ask relevant questions and come to a decision based on this.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Have I missed something?
    https://www.contractoruk.com/forums/...ml#post2713344

Do try to keep up old chap!

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Just hope you don't need to give him a shout in the next month.
    Have I missed something?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Just hope you don't need to give him a shout in the next month.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Originally posted by mb31 View Post
    PC if you apply for PIP now then your claim will be backdated to the date you phoned the DWP to initiate the process. They will send you the forms. I can give you tips on filling them in and providing evidence if you PM me. You can also get help from CAB and various charities.
    Cheers mb. They're actually paying DLA from Dec 2017 (when we first claimed). Of course, he turned 16 before Xmas.

I spoke to them last week and they're going to keep paying DLA for now and then he will be "invited" to apply for PIP. Of course, if he gets turned down for PIP then the DLA stops (or it goes over to PIP if hes successful).

Thanks I might give you a shout when the time comes. With the DLA experience, it seems if you don't put the right thing on the form it gets knocked back. Only the court tribunal did we speak to someone with any sense and, to be fair, they went into it properly and made an informed decision. (But I guess they can't do this for everyone).

Leave a comment:

• mb31
    replied
    PC if you apply for PIP now then your claim will be backdated to the date you phoned the DWP to initiate the process. They will send you the forms. I can give you tips on filling them in and providing evidence if you PM me. You can also get help from CAB and various charities.

Leave a comment:

• NeedTheSunshine
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    You keep fighting. Good luck to you.
    this all news to me. My teenage eldest has ASD (diagnosed this year) and I presumed that we would not be entitled to anything. I will be attending the local support group and asking for some info next week. Any pointers/questions to ask/ info will be much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X