• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Which of the CUK members was on Question Time?"

Collapse

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    The problem is that as social animals we tend to hang around with like-minded and economically similar people.

Our social bubbles are restricted to others that have a similar outlook and similar incomes. The bloke on tv that thinks that £80k is an average income probably thinks that because within his social circle it is average.

It’s also why certain posters think that “austerity has ended”. For them and their peers it probably never really began.
    Our social bubbles are restricted to others that have a similar outlook and similar incomes
    agreed, but I'm the poor relation in my bubble.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Which of the CUK members was on Question Time?

Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    I am in the top 98% and I still feel poor most weeks...
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    The problem is you look upwards not down. Its not wanting what others have got. Its wanting what you have got.

Life is like climbing a tree with others. Looking up you just see 4rseholes.
    The problem is that as social animals we tend to hang around with like-minded and economically similar people.

Our social bubbles are restricted to others that have a similar outlook and similar incomes. The bloke on tv that thinks that £80k is an average income probably thinks that because within his social circle it is average.

It’s also why certain posters think that “austerity has ended”. For them and their peers it probably never really began.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by dx4100 View Post
    The problem is you look upwards not down. Its not wanting what others have got. Its wanting what you have got.

Life is like climbing a tree with others. Looking up you just see 4rseholes.

Leave a comment:

• dx4100
    replied

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by meridian View Post
    Why “after tax salary”?

If it’s stats you want, click through the BBC page to HMRC’s own figures.

General election 2019: Does GBP80,000 put you in the top 5% of earners? - BBC News

Percentile points from 1 to 99 for total income before and after tax - GOV.UK

The BBC posted an update to that - due to wage inflation between when those figures were published and today the 95 percentile is now 81,000 or so.

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
    Complete load of wank.

If you look at earnings before tax £80k may be in the top 5%
    If you look at the the top tax payers, £80k is so far away from 5% it's fu cking laughable.

And if you look at who pays % of tax, it's completely laughable!

Lies, damn lies and statistics.
    You haven’t provided any of the third one, but at least you provided plenty of the first two.

Earnings before tax of £80k is in the top 5%.

If you look at who pays tax, the top 10% of earners pay 27% of the tax take. Because they take in 27% of the gross income of the country. The lowest-paid in the country don’t pay income tax, but they are disproportionately hit by VAT, which evens things out.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Thank goodness all our politicians have a good grasp of numbers.....

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Complete load of wank.

If you look at earnings before tax £80k may be in the top 5%
    If you look at the the top tax payers, £80k is so far away from 5% it's fu cking laughable.

And if you look at who pays % of tax, it's completely laughable!

Lies, damn lies and statistics.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    WGAFF??????

Leave a comment:

• meridian
    replied
    Originally posted by Major Hassle View Post
    Ok so it includes the potential for other income above after tax salary - do you have a better stats to point to?
    Why “after tax salary”?

If it’s stats you want, click through the BBC page to HMRC’s own figures.

General election 2019: Does GBP80,000 put you in the top 5% of earners? - BBC News

Percentile points from 1 to 99 for total income before and after tax - GOV.UK

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Doh! Because we're talking about the percentiles of "earnings" not wealth.
    Ok so it includes the potential for other income above after tax salary - do you have a better stats to point to?

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes I know, what’s the problem with that?
    Doh! Because we're talking about the percentiles of "earnings" not wealth.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Your link is for household income.
    Yes I know, what’s the problem with that?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Actually at 80k before tax he’s in the top 23% not the top 5%, lack of research made him look like a numpty. Where do you fit in - Institute For Fiscal Studies - IFS
    Your link is for household income.

Leave a comment:

• Major Hassle
    replied
    Actually at 80k before tax he’s in the top 23% not the top 5%, lack of research made him look like a numpty. Where do you fit in - Institute For Fiscal Studies - IFS

Leave a comment:

Working...
X