• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Speling Polise

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Speling Polise"

Collapse

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    And none for 'fun'...

Defaid.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    For giggles I chucked that at Google Translate and told it to figure out the language. It thinks it's Basque but only managed to translate kamzaskula into camcorder.
    some of the remote European languages, including Welsh and perhaps Basque were considered in WW2 for secrecy issues. I believe they choose Navajo Indian. Wasn't there a film made about it?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    furriner
    Hmmmm....inneresting....

Originally posted by Pip in a Poke View Post
    furriner
    Originally posted by Freaki Li Cuatre View Post
    furriner

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Peter Kyle: MP with dyslexia hits back at 'spelling police' - BBC News

Is it time for the Speling Polise to back off and give those with disabilities a chance?
    Swings and roundabouts.

We had a load of foreign students on my M.Sc. They had to lower the pass mark for the project management module because the standard of English was so bad. I'm sure I'd have failed otherwise - not because of my grammar but just my ineptitude with nebulous subjects like that.

Also, a guy on the same course had his dissertation knocked back because his spelling was so bad (not a furriner - he was from Sunderland). They gave him 3 months to resubmit it. He did and he got a distinction. Stuck in the craw somewhat.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    Nonsense.

We have 10,000 words for rain.
    And none for 'fun'...

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Welsh is supposed to be a very effective way of communicating, it's just that the Welsh have **** all of note to impart.
    Nonsense.

We have 10,000 words for rain.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Ehdojklk fedocrak spegumboo kamzaskula hagodib
    For giggles I chucked that at Google Translate and told it to figure out the language. It thinks it's Basque but only managed to translate kamzaskula into camcorder.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
    Dave..?

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by JohntheBike View Post
    perhaps if English were more phonetic like Welsh is, we might not have this problem.
    Welsh is supposed to be a very effective way of communicating, it's just that the Welsh have **** all of note to impart.

Leave a comment:

• JohntheBike
    replied

Is it time for the Speling Polise to back off and give those with disabilities a chance?
    perhaps if English were more phonetic like Welsh is, we might not have this problem.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied

Nope.

Hth.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    started a topic Speling Polise

Speling Polise

Working...
X