• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Hello I’m an Agent, I get a billion, squillion CVs a day"

Collapse

• BR14
    replied
    Why all the fuss over something that's been happening for 30+ years?

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Considering most agents spam people with jobs that don't even remotely match the recipients' CV, it's no wonder they receive hundreds of responses back.

Leave a comment:

• DeadEyedJacks
    replied
    Originally posted by MasterBait View Post
    hmm just a random role on LinkedIn
    https://www.linkedin.com/jobs/view/1414612019/
    over 200 applicants
    and that is just one source assuming they advertise it on several job boards
    For many roles, 95% are from the Indian subcontinent and just highly optimistic speculative spam.
    Last edited by DeadEyedJacks; 19 October 2019, 17:02.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    according to her you get enough tips! Though they aren't money.
    It pays the bills

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    It's the market rate for the skills I have, and she never complains Thinking about it, she never tips either!!

according to her you get enough tips! Though they aren't money.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    NLyUK said your bottom rate was a farthing. Shows how many years experience you have !
    It's the market rate for the skills I have, and she never complains Thinking about it, she never tips either!!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post
    I'm never asked what my bottom rate is. I've worked with the same agents for years. They know my market rate. They call me when they have a role that suits and meets my rate expectation. Simples

NLyUK said your bottom rate was a farthing. Shows how many years experience you have !

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Thanks to the OP for the private PM. I gave you some good advice that's worked for me. Take it or leave it, but the best I can give you is to lose the chip off your shoulder

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by ContractBunny View Post
    Correct. This fact is normally thrown in after branching questions have been asked or right before a request to modify the cv or “what’s your bottom rate”.
    I'm never asked what my bottom rate is. I've worked with the same agents for years. They know my market rate. They call me when they have a role that suits and meets my rate expectation. Simples

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Can we just lay the whole “I got 50/100/500 cvs for this role” thing to rest. It is blatantly lies, they probably do get tens of cvs that are out and out chaff but they very quickly filter them out.

The “I got over a 100 cvs” thing is just a reflex reaction if they are not really interested in you or they can smell the desperation. It is just the other end of the spectrum from when they are interested in you and they tell you, you are the only contractor in the world.
    What role do you do that there are 100's (or even in the 10's) of applicants? For the roles I do I get calls off the agents and I'm asked to apply. Maybe cross train to a skill set where there is less competition. I hear VB6 is still in demand
    Last edited by Whorty; 17 October 2019, 08:32.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    To be honest, I've never had an agent say this to me.

I am not in a niche role, but the experience and clients I've had in past contracts means when ever someone gets my CV I'm confident I'll get a follow up call asking which bodies I caused and where they are buried
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• ContractBunny
    replied
    Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
    First you admit agents lie all the time. Then you get all uppity when accused of lying.

Not very logical.

So courageous though, being rude whilst sitting behind a keyboard.
    I’m obviously not an agent and the thread title was obviously a joke.

Behind a keyboard is kind of how the internet works, it would be deeply impractical and slightly suspect for me to track you down and take umbrage in person.

Leave a comment:

• LadyPenelope
    replied
    Hardly representative. Its with Microsoft, and appears to permie, oh did I mention it is with Microsoft so go sit and spin
    First you admit agents lie all the time. Then you get all uppity when accused of lying.

Not very logical.

So courageous though, being rude whilst sitting behind a keyboard.
    Last edited by LadyPenelope; 16 October 2019, 15:31.

Leave a comment:

• ContractBunny
    replied
    Originally posted by edison View Post
    That's why I never normally send my CV in unless I can speak to the agent first. I've sent a CV without speaking to an agent first, maybe 10 times in the past and in almost all cases no one ever got back to me.
    Correct that is the ideal. I once got asked to be represented for a role via email. I just deleted it and moved on. If the agency con’t be bothered to phone and talk to you then they probably don’t have a great relationship with the client either.

Leave a comment:

• ContractBunny
    replied
    Originally posted by LadyPenelope View Post
    You appear to have spotted the first lie by the OP.

Hardly representative. Its with Microsoft, and appears to be permie, oh did I mention it is with Microsoft so go sit and spin
    Last edited by ContractBunny; 16 October 2019, 15:27.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X