• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Thomas Cook lists itself for sale on Ceefax"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Thomas Cook used its auditors to justify GBP5m bonus - BBC News

"EY are smart people, but how could they get this so entirely wrong?" said Professor Cooper.

Probably as "smart" people really have very little clue about much.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Staff go through a different door to passengers. I'm sure you either knew that, or suspected it. So now you do know. It used to be far easier for the staff than it is now. I've been airside just by keying in a door code ffs. I hope you all take comfort in knowing that was such a long time ago...
    That depends on the airport and depends within an airport too. For example, at Heathrow T3 and T5 staff have a different entrance to passengers. In T4 they use the same security entrance as departing passengers but have a separate search lane. I haven't been airside at T2 as staff yet but suspect it's the same process as T3 and T5.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Just to be pedantic, yes you can otherwise who would man those overpriced shops or clean the toilets?
    Staff go through a different door to passengers. I'm sure you either knew that, or suspected it. So now you do know. It used to be far easier for the staff than it is now. I've been airside just by keying in a door code ffs. I hope you all take comfort in knowing that was such a long time ago...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Not at all surprised.

And the German government has got a pile of steaming tulipe on its hands - I doubt it will see its money anytime soon.
    Why? If you're talking about Condor and the bailout from the German and Hessen governments then they will see their money. The only reason they gave the bridging loan was because Condor is actually in the black and business is quite good for them...

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    You can't go through Security without a boarding pass, and you won't be checked in unless there's an actual flight. So those stranded at airports are in a check-in waiting area.
    Just to be pedantic, yes you can otherwise who would man those overpriced shops or clean the toilets?

Leave a comment:

• Martin@AS Financial
    replied
    "Turkey will make up for tourists lost in Thomas Cook collapse - minister":

BA & Jet 2 are looking to increase flights to Turkey.

Turkey will make up for tourists lost in Thomas Cook collapse - minister - Reuters

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Not at all surprised.

And the German government has got a pile of steaming tulipe on its hands - I doubt it will see its money anytime soon.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Thomas Cook had GBP3.1bn hole in balance sheet before collapse | Business | The Guardian

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    You can't go through Security without a boarding pass, and you won't be checked in unless there's an actual flight. So those stranded at airports are in a check-in waiting area.
    Nearest I've experience to this is last year when 'the beast from the East' meant my flight was delayed after I'd gone through check-in and security. It wasn't certain the flights would depart as many of the UK airports were closed or struggling, so we sat around for hours waiting for updates. Fortunately our flight went ahead eventually as the airports got on top of the problem and re-opened the runways.

So I'm sure there would have been some already checked-in expecting a TC flight that never arrived or departed (how much warning did the airports get that the scheduled/charter flights weren't arriving or to ground planes ready to start boarding?) and stranded at the airport until someone assisted them with temporary accommodation or an alternative flight.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    I feel sorry for those stranded at an airport. Presume once past security you can't just walk back out if no flights likely for days?

If they're still at the hotel then hopefully a deal can be done where they get cheap accommodation, seeing as the next batch of TC holidaymakers aren't going to be arriving at the hotel, so the rooms may be available and the hotel will be looking to recoup what it can before the aggro of claiming compo from ATOL etc.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobosapien View Post
    I feel sorry for those stranded at an airport. Presume once past security you can't just walk back out if no flights likely for days?
    Same as with any cancellation. Luggage is taken off the flight (if loaded), or retrieved from the baggage system - then you're guided through the airport to baggage pickup, and exit via customs. I can't recall if you have to go through immigration again.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    It's an interesting graph - as it clearly shows share prices going up after June 2016 when the Brexit vote took place.
    In what currency? See if you can join the dots. I've given you a good clue.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    It's an interesting graph - as it clearly shows share prices going up after June 2016 when the Brexit vote took place.

Leave a comment:

• edison
    replied
    Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
    We need a share price graph. Where are the graphers when you need them.
    Here you go, along with commentary on why the share price nose dived over the years. Interestingly the share price rose around 1500% between 2012 and 2014 when there was obviously a lot more confidence it could turn itself around.

How Thomas Cook's share price history since 2007 reveals where it's all gone wrong for the group | This is Money

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Two governments were prepared to back a British brand, the UK government wasn’t.

If only the UK could be run from Brussels.....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X