• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Sofia

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Sofia"

Collapse

• darmstadt
    replied
    So nearly finished...

- Quite a mix of cultures and economies within one city makes it interesting to say the least
    - Bulgarians are quite friendly and helpful unless they're on the checkout of Billa
    - Sadly not too much sightseeing but plenty of old ruins (and that's not just the old Soviet apartment blocks)
    - Really hot and still very pleasant until late into the evening
    - Taxi drivers have watched too much Death Race
    - They are currently filming the 2020 episodes of the Indian version of Fear Factor here so there are a few Bollywood stars and other assorted B list Indian celebrities in the hotel
    - The Japanese Foreign Minister was staying this week so some high security (such as armed guys on each floor stopping you getting in the lift when he and his entourage are in it.) They had the whole shebang outside one day with the limos, police and so on and it's the first time I've seen an Audi TT Cabriolet police car
    - Fags and beer and food is dirt cheap
    - Did I mention it's really hot
    - Project hasn't gone to plan exactly (their fault) but the customer is very happy with what we have provided

Back home Saturday and then off to Lubeck and then have projects planned for Prague and (hopefully) Alaska and New Zealand...

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    This is an interesting clip showing how Sofia was turned into Tehran with green-screen and VFX. Both cities are similar in that the mountain range is close to the capital; the corrected mountains were added in.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    So far, so good...There were quite a few Indian people in the hotel over the weekend, some with film equipment and saw a crew of them filming what seemed to be a perfume advertisement out the front yesterday. Weird advert as can be seen by the main actor below below:

Also on the go in the hotel is: FEAR FACTOR - BULGARIA | Global Group

This is the nearest underground station :-)

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by Freewill View Post
    Rila Monastery ...
    Originally posted by Paddy View Post
    I quite agree with Freewill
    Thank you both for some good information and we'll try our best to do some of the items, it is much appreciated.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by madame SasGuru View Post
    For money at the airport just use a cash machine. There is 1 by the luggage carousals and a few if you turn left as you walk out of security - although the UBB one is slightly fussy over what card it accepts.

For taxis at the airport as you leave security just turn right and and walk out the end door and there is a OK Taxi rank there.

And if you are at the Hilton ping me as I'm there Monday to Friday next week..
    Thanks, may well take you up on the offer as we'll be staying in the Hilton too for the whole 2 weeks. Already have cash but will probably have to get more while I'm there but as we're working at one of Bulgaria's largest banks, it wouldn't surprise me if they have cash machines in the offices.

We're actually a group of people, there's my boss and his wife who are flying in from Washington (via a short stopover in London), there's 2 guys from Florida (they're a different company who provide the banking software and are there for both this and another project) of whom one is actually Bulgarian and from Sofia and the company are then paying for Frau D. to fly over for a long weekend break.

Leave a comment:

• madame SasGuru
    replied
    For money at the airport just use a cash machine. There is 1 by the luggage carousals and a few if you turn left as you walk out of security - although the UBB one is slightly fussy over what card it accepts.

For taxis at the airport as you leave security just turn right and and walk out the end door and there is a OK Taxi rank there.

And if you are at the Hilton ping me as I'm there Monday to Friday next week..

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by Freewill View Post
    Rila Monastery is a nice place to visit and not too far from Sofia (1.5 - 2 hrs drive). It is in the mountains so you can go walking around there too if that is your thing. It is possible to stay in the monastery itself for about £5 / night - the rooms are pretty spartan but it is a fun experience (I was travelling with a local though so I am not certain who this is available for).

Further along the same road is Melnik which is the wine capital of Bulgaria and a rather nice town. The road is quite slow though because it is single lane and has lots of lorries on it. Watch out for crazy overtaking. If you see Blacked out Bentleys and Range Rovers driving in convoy then just let them overtake you as they are the local mafia.

I recommend the Kofte (small burgers) and Kebabche (sausage/kebabs) and all the salad there is delicious. In Rila they do some nice brown trout from the river. For breakfast the Banitsa (filo pastry with feta cheese) is very nice.
    I quite agree with Freewill

Also, don’t change money at the airport. Take some BGN cash with you.
    Take the Metro from the Airport to the Centre.
    Buy a weekly ticket or carnet (about 65p per journey)

Tickets Sofia Metro

If you take a taxi, sit in the front and either agree the fare before hand or make sure they use the meter. I have never been ripped off by a taxi in Bulgaria, in fact, sometimes they have lowered the fare; I then make it up in a tip. But there is always a chance of a rogue taxi.

Beware: Nod means No, shake means yes. ( this still catches me out sometimes)

Graffiti: Loads of it in Sofia but it does not mean the area is bad.

Food. Really good fast food = Outstanding Bar & Grill Menu - Happy

Try walking down some of the side roads and try local cafes. Steak, chips salad and large beer or two £5.00.
    Start of walking tours (self or group) = St. Alexander Nevski Cathedral
    Also a nearby market “Ladies Market”.

The Vitosha mountain is located on the outskirts of Sofia. Good for hiking, climbing, mountain biking. ( Bus 66 about 50 mins)
    Take a picturesque train ride on the edge of the Vratsa National Park ( 1.5 hours each way about £8 return 1st class) stop and return at MEZDRA or ROMAN. Buy a slice of pizza and a drink to take with you as there is no catering on the train. (People generally chat with strangers on the train, so take some fruit from the market to share. People are generally very friendly towards foreigners)

:: БДЖ :: Разписание

Sofia and district are an important centre for film making as is the rest of Bulgaria. Loads of Hollywood productions are made there and even some British TV series.

Last edited by Paddy; 1 August 2019, 15:16.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Ah Sofia, that brings back memories. I was hitch hiking there in the 70s and was sleeping rough in a shop doorway. A young lady mistook me for a pile of rubbish and peed on me.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Good to know.

I believe that Moscow is still the closest where they have a first class cabin.
    It's ok for Tarbs cos he goes regularly to visit his Russian bride, but for your average tourist it's a faff to get a visa for a weekend points run

Malta is another 160 points destination, but can be pricey.
    Last edited by ladymuck; 29 July 2019, 20:04.

Leave a comment:

• Freewill
    replied
    Rila Monastery

Rila Monastery is a nice place to visit and not too far from Sofia (1.5 - 2 hrs drive). It is in the mountains so you can go walking around there too if that is your thing. It is possible to stay in the monastery itself for about £5 / night - the rooms are pretty spartan but it is a fun experience (I was travelling with a local though so I am not certain who this is available for).

Further along the same road is Melnik which is the wine capital of Bulgaria and a rather nice town. The road is quite slow though because it is single lane and has lots of lorries on it. Watch out for crazy overtaking. If you see Blacked out Bentleys and Range Rovers driving in convoy then just let them overtake you as they are the local mafia.

I recommend the Kofte (small burgers) and Kebabche (sausage/kebabs) and all the salad there is delicious. In Rila they do some nice brown trout from the river. For breakfast the Banitsa (filo pastry with feta cheese) is very nice.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Good to know.

Indeed my favourite flight in 1st (so cheap on points)

Sent from my iPhone using Contractor UK Forum

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    For thems what chase BA tier points, Sofia is a good 160 point destination too. Not that I've been but it's now on my shortlist following BA ceasing flights to Kiev.

Good to know.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    For thems what chase BA tier points, Sofia is a good 160 point destination too. Not that I've been but it's now on my shortlist following BA ceasing flights to Kiev.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    I know there are a couple of people on here who have been to Sofia and have been more than once so any hints or tips? I fly out on Saturday for a couple of weeks to do some work there so not too much time for sightseeing but do have one weekend free. TIA...
    I have a few clients in Sofia and a villa in Veliko Tarnovo. I will post some tips when I get time.

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    started a topic Sofia

Sofia

I know there are a couple of people on here who have been to Sofia and have been more than once so any hints or tips? I fly out on Saturday for a couple of weeks to do some work there so not too much time for sightseeing but do have one weekend free. TIA...

Working...
X