• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Car Buying

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Car Buying"

Collapse

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by clearedforlanding View Post
    I understood one of the criteria was space for a dog. My lab was not happy in the back of a C-Class T.

I'v not had a meth lab in the back of mine, but...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Absolutley fantastic car (E63) that serves no purpose in the UK unless he wants to take his dog for a lap of Silverstone. The interiors are stunning in an Emirates First Class (pre refresh) bling kind of way, not to everyones taste and I fear it might date.
    It is a Marmite car.

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Have you thought about the AMG E Class Estate.
    Absolutley fantastic car (E63) that serves no purpose in the UK unless he wants to take his dog for a lap of Silverstone. The interiors are stunning in an Emirates First Class (pre refresh) bling kind of way, not to everyones taste and I fear it might date.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Space is important, dogs and cages, road trips etc. Aware i could get away with a hatchback
    Have you thought about the AMG E Class Estate.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I have no predjudice against Alfas, believe me. I love them. I just do not have the customer demand for clients wanting to blast them down the Nurburgring and down the Autobahn.

I understood one of the criteria was space for a dog. My lab was not happy in the back of a C-Class T.
    Space is important, dogs and cages, road trips etc. Aware i could get away with a hatchback

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    What about the AMG C63 S?

Alfa Romeo Stelvio QF vs Mercedes-AMG C63 S | PistonHeads

I'm just asking you to park your prejudice and give it a go!
    I have no predjudice against Alfas, believe me. I love them. I just do not have the customer demand for clients wanting to blast them down the Nurburgring and down the Autobahn.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I agree with the review. It is not an M car & the whole M Performance sub brand is off. I own one of the original M3 DTM cars & my business partner is an M DTM driver.

Pistonheads are very very performance focused and I have other cars for going mental with in the true M fashion.

It is a supreme allrounder. That part is undeniable - and well worth considering as an alternative to an SUV. The 2018 540d specced out is a fabulous car. I am lucky to have the 550d

"It's a properly serious bit of kit and a hugely appealing all-rounder. As a Touring it's also a very stylish riposte to the default choice of a premium SUV." - from the article.
    What about the AMG C63 S?

Alfa Romeo Stelvio QF vs Mercedes-AMG C63 S | PistonHeads

I'm just asking you to park your prejudice and give it a go!

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I agree with the review. It is not an M car & the whole M Performance sub brand is off. I own one of the original M3 DTM cars & my business partner is an M DTM driver.

Pistonheads are very very performance focused and I have other cars for going mental with in the true M fashion.

It is a supreme allrounder. That part is undeniable - and well worth considering as an alternative to an SUV. The 2018 540d specced out is a fabulous car. I am lucky to have the 550d

"It's a properly serious bit of kit and a hugely appealing all-rounder. As a Touring it's also a very stylish riposte to the default choice of a premium SUV." - from the article.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    A reminder of the 2018 fleet I live on a farm in Bavaria, when not towing my pikey wagon.

BMW M140i
    BMW 540
    BMW M550i Limousine
    BMW M3
    BMW M4 Coupé
    BMW M4 Cabrio
    BMW X4 M40
    BMW M6 GranCoupé
    BMW M6 Cabrio
    BMW X5M
    Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG S
    Mercedes-Benz GLE63 AMG
    Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupé
    Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Cabrio
    Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG Cabrio
    Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S

This is true, I haven't driven the toy. I would like to.
    but how big are your cat's bolloks?? eh?

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    You've never lived up a country lane where ground clearance is needed.

...and I'm guessing you've not driven a variant of The Toy
    A reminder of the 2018 fleet I live on a farm in Bavaria, when not towing my pikey wagon.

BMW M140i
    BMW 540
    BMW M550i Limousine
    BMW M3
    BMW M4 Coupé
    BMW M4 Cabrio
    BMW X4 M40
    BMW M6 GranCoupé
    BMW M6 Cabrio
    BMW X5M
    Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG S
    Mercedes-Benz GLE63 AMG
    Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Coupé
    Mercedes-Benz S63 AMG Cabrio
    Mercedes-Benz SL63 AMG Cabrio
    Mercedes-Benz AMG GT S

This is true, I haven't driven the toy. I would like to.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    I never got the SUV thing.
    You've never lived up a country lane where ground clearance is needed.

...and I'm guessing you've not driven a variant of The Toy

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    I will be in the UK next week and will be bringing my M550d xDrive Touring which I believe is the best car for the UK. I never got the SUV thing. I have yet to see anything more effortless up the hill at Dover.
    Unfortunatley you are not allowed to have one, but I would highly recommend a 2018 540d Sport Touring. Go for all the bells and whistles including the HUD and Massage Seats.

There is no car that is nicer to be inside (assuming you are driving yourself).
    Meh...

BMW M550d Touring: Driven | PistonHeads

Leave a comment:

• clearedforlanding
    replied
    I will be in the UK next week and will be bringing my M550d xDrive Touring which I believe is the best car for the UK. I never got the SUV thing. I have yet to see anything more effortless up the hill at Dover.
    Unfortunatley you are not allowed to have one, but I would highly recommend a 2018 540d Sport Touring. Go for all the bells and whistles including the HUD and Massage Seats.

There is no car that is nicer to be inside (assuming you are driving yourself).
    Last edited by clearedforlanding; 17 July 2019, 22:00.

Leave a comment:

• fiisch
    replied
    A certain mod is about to give you a BJ.
    Before they get too excited, I drive a Civic Type R, so I'm probably not the most reliable source on taste....

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by fiisch View Post
    In that class, Mercedes GLS has the most presence for me... The AMG63 is ludicrous, although running costs will make your eyes water.

That said, if it were me, unless you really need an SUV, I'd be far more tempted by the Alfa Giulia QV for the style and added exclusivity, not to mention the Ferrari engine.
    SUV for dogs in the back. Bit of space for cages.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X