• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Petitions: Repeal IR35 legislation proposed Private Sector rollout"

Collapse

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by thus78 View Post
    17,810 votes! We still have highly enough time till December. Every time when I meet / chat with one of my friends I share the petition url and ask them to sign it. We are all in the same boat guys; 100k is not impossible. Please do the same and share this url with the people around you.

If if someone can put some simple copy together explaining what it is and how it could affect self employed people with multiple clients & how much more they’d pay than everyone else I’m convinced you could get traction with this

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    17,810 votes! We still have highly enough time till December. Every time when I meet / chat with one of my friends I share the petition url and ask them to sign it. We are all in the same boat guys; 100k is not impossible. Please do the same and share this url with the people around you.
    Just signed.

ill stick a link on LinkedIN later and contractor Facebook groups

Leave a comment:

• DeludedKitten
    replied
    The answer is on the url:
    "At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament"

There are a couple of million people currently working as a self-employed person in the U.K. It shouldn't be difficult to reach 100k!
    How many of the millions are affected by IR35? How many even know about it?

Construction is the biggest sector and they have the CIS to cover their stuff so it's irrelevant. Creative industries are huge and they are generally unaffected because of the way they work and the things they do.

100k you need about 40% of the IT market to sign it. Where are you going to get the traction to get the awareness, let alone the inclination to sign it?

And even if it hits 100k (and it won't get close), you need some decent MPs to take part in the Westminster Hall debate, and government to listen to it. Jesse Norman might rock up to say he's heard it, nothing more than that.

Leave a comment:

• MrButton
    replied
    Very much doubt it will get to 100k.

If it did then they won’t debate it. There is no need to debate a poorly put together petition.

Especially as the public sector rollout is considered a resounding success by HMRC.

Leave a comment:

• thus78
    replied

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Well you obviously didn’t see the first thread so I’ll just put it here.

Leave a comment:

• RobbieT
    replied
    Repeal IR35 legislation in Public Sector and proposed Private Sector rollout.

Hi all,

Not sure if you all seen this but trying get this out to all contractors to sign.

Repeal IR35 legislation in Public Sector and proposed Private Sector rollout. - Petitions

Many thanks.

Robbie

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    1. Will be considered
    2. For debate

Leave a comment:

• NCOTBAC
    replied
    "At 100,000 signatures, this petition will be considered for debate in Parliament"

There are a couple of million people currently working as a self-employed person in the U.K. It shouldn't be difficult to reach 100k!
    But not one has gotten anywhere near that and just look at the response on the two I linked. It's as SimonMac says, standard blurb.

You've got to be slightly deluded to think it'll get to 100k and if it did there will be any meaningful debate bearing in mind their plans are so far on.

I've also got an issue of how poorly worded these petitions are which don't really make good grounds for debate. I can't see them being taken very seriously even if it did get there. Not sure who's going to lead a debate on how 'unfair' it is for us. IMO this and the second one I linked make us look pretty bad if anything.

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied

But given the canned response we have all had from MP's, and being "considered for debate" is not the same as being debated in Parliament, again what will be different?

IPSE claimed to represent 4.8 million Self Employed, but very few of them will care about this (other than those who are already engaged, not saying all Self Employed won't care)

Leave a comment:

• thus78
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Happy to sign, but can I be the pessimist and ask what makes anyone think this petition would be any different than all the ones that have gone before?

Leave a comment:

• thus78
    replied
    Yesterday there were around 5k votes and today the count reached to 11,722!! I have seen this petition on some other forums and social media groups as well. If you didn't sign it yet please add your signature. Also we should let the other contractors around us never heard about this petition.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by DoctorStrangelove View Post
    You had to join a club or somesuch if you wanted a charter flight to Spain or where ever.

It was like the dark ages.

Purchase tax was levied on the wholesale price of the goods.

It went up & down like a whore's drawers, 33%, 66%, 100%, according to the whim of the Chancellor.

Decimalisation was brought in to make VAT easier. :rollin

Pre decimalisation computers had hardware to cope with £sd.

Don't forget that the highest rate of Income Tax was 98%.
    Thank food for UK joining EU!!!

Oh wait...

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    Happy to sign, but can I be the pessimist and ask what makes anyone think this petition would be any different than all the ones that have gone before?

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    FFS, life in the UK sucked before EU!
    You had to join a club or somesuch if you wanted a charter flight to Spain or where ever.

It was like the dark ages.

Purchase tax was levied on the wholesale price of the goods.

It went up & down like a whore's drawers, 33%, 66%, 100%, according to the whim of the Chancellor.

Decimalisation was brought in to make VAT easier. :rollin

Pre decimalisation computers had hardware to cope with £sd.

Don't forget that the highest rate of Income Tax was 98%.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X