• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Switching from contract to perm"

Collapse

• quackhandle
    replied
    Originally posted by TwoWolves View Post
    Smells to me that the client was just testing the water for staff anyway, get that a lot outside London. They have no idea how much experienced people cost and the agents lie in order to get the business.

When they come back with a CV and an "expectation" the client draws a sharp breath and goes somewhere quiet for a lie-down.
    In this case, the OP's CV never got anywhere near "the client".

qh

Leave a comment:

• TwoWolves
    replied
    Smells to me that the client was just testing the water for staff anyway, get that a lot outside London. They have no idea how much experienced people cost and the agents lie in order to get the business.

When they come back with a CV and an "expectation" the client draws a sharp breath and goes somewhere quiet for a lie-down.

Leave a comment:

• quackhandle
    replied
    That's two minutes I'm not going to get back.

The invoice is in the post.

qh

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Disordely View Post
    Real conversation between me and a recruiter:

Recruiter: (calls me) - Hi I found you on linkedin tell me your life story and all about your experience
    Me: (complies)
    Recruiter: So are you looking for contract or perm work?
    Me: Contract only
    Recruiter: Ah, this role is perm. Would you consider perm?
    Me: Erm, not ideally but I guess it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate
    Recruiter: (tells me all about the company and role, confirms it is £X rate, asks my day rate on last role)
    Me: Ok great that actually sounds like a cool company and interesting role, chuck me in for it and let's see what happens. My last role was x per day (didn't lie because why would I lie)
    Recruiter: That day rate is obvs more than the perm salary, what do I say when they ask why you want to flip
    Me: Well I don't 'want' to flip, but if and when I do it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate. Obviously there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell of matching a contract salary to a perm salary so it is always going to have this disparity, as I said - right company right role, let's start the discussion and see whether it goes anywhere anyway.

*(2hrs later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey they're going to ask me why you want to go perm, tell me
    Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc)
    Recruiter: Ok cool

*(30mins later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey do you know what your last rate worked out to a year?!
    Me: Erm, yes of course I do
    Recruiter: (tells me anyway) Thats £X per year! They are going to ask me why you want to go perm!
    Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc, again. Reminds him that he confirmed it would be £X salary which is the top end for this role - if anybody wanted to flip it doesn't get better)
    Recruiter: Ok I'll put it to my account manager

*(20mins later)*
    Recruiter: (Emails me saying "They have enough CV's now so recruitment is on hold, thanks for your time")
    Me: (Thinks) You called me buddy!... whaddaguy..
    You joined the forum to post that tulip? FFS.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Maybe they just wanted your CV?

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Recruiter: They are going to ask why you want to go perm.
    Answer: So I don't have to deal with recruitment agents.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Unfortunately agents are not best placed to understand subtle nuances of this kind.

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Ok

Leave a comment:

• Disordely
    started a topic Switching from contract to perm

Switching from contract to perm

Real conversation between me and a recruiter:

Recruiter: (calls me) - Hi I found you on linkedin tell me your life story and all about your experience
    Me: (complies)
    Recruiter: So are you looking for contract or perm work?
    Me: Contract only
    Recruiter: Ah, this role is perm. Would you consider perm?
    Me: Erm, not ideally but I guess it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate
    Recruiter: (tells me all about the company and role, confirms it is £X rate, asks my day rate on last role)
    Me: Ok great that actually sounds like a cool company and interesting role, chuck me in for it and let's see what happens. My last role was x per day (didn't lie because why would I lie)
    Recruiter: That day rate is obvs more than the perm salary, what do I say when they ask why you want to flip
    Me: Well I don't 'want' to flip, but if and when I do it would have to be the right company, right role, and £X rate. Obviously there isn't a snowflakes chance in hell of matching a contract salary to a perm salary so it is always going to have this disparity, as I said - right company right role, let's start the discussion and see whether it goes anywhere anyway.

*(2hrs later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey they're going to ask me why you want to go perm, tell me
    Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc)
    Recruiter: Ok cool

*(30mins later Recruiter calls back)*

Recruiter: Hey do you know what your last rate worked out to a year?!
    Me: Erm, yes of course I do
    Recruiter: (tells me anyway) Thats £X per year! They are going to ask me why you want to go perm!
    Me: (repeats what I said about it needing to be the right company etc, again. Reminds him that he confirmed it would be £X salary which is the top end for this role - if anybody wanted to flip it doesn't get better)
    Recruiter: Ok I'll put it to my account manager

*(20mins later)*
    Recruiter: (Emails me saying "They have enough CV's now so recruitment is on hold, thanks for your time")
    Me: (Thinks) You called me buddy!... whaddaguy..

Working...
X