• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Pepsi Max addiction"

Collapse

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Stop using it NOW - it's terrible tulip, especially the "Diet" one
    What is in it that makes it terrible? I am not disagreeing, as I have heard others say the same, but have not been able to find any details.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
    Cola contains loads of phosphoric acid. Sodiumbicarbonate would bring the pH a bit up, sodium hydroxide pallets would be better,you need less of it but you have to be more careful to handle it.

pH meters are generally available, You need to regularly calibrate pH meters though. litmus paper would be much easier and cheaper to use
    Yes I've been having a play with some litmus paper (universal indicator paper) from my schooldays chemistry set, and it gives a reading of ph=6 for the Pepsi Max, which I think is a little high - it says online that the Ph of diet coke is 3.
    First I have tried putting a rennie tablet (containing Calcium Carbonate) into it (Ph of around 8 or so), but it does not seem to be dissolving, and must therefore only be effective against stronger acids. Calcium Phosphate is also fairly insoluble so would precipitate out.
    I don't think there would be much difference between Sodium Hydroxide and Sodium bicarbonate because in the latter case carbon dioxide gas would be produced, which would escape, leaving Sodium Phosphate which is slightly alkali. In the case of Sodium Hydroxide only water would be produced by the same reaction.
    I do have some Sodium Hydroxide somewhere in the garage, left over from a time in 1985 when I tried to do electrolysis on it molten (it has a fairly low melting point as compared to salt), in a bid to create metallic sodium. I blew the fuse in the DC power source unfortunately. But I digress..

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    3. The PH of diet coke is around 3. Could I add Sodium bicarbonate to neutralise this back to 7, and would this stop it rotting my teeth, and could I do this without making it taste disgusting? Can I buy a ph meter to determine this?
    Cola contains loads of phosphoric acid. Sodiumbicarbonate would bring the pH a bit up, sodium hydroxide pallets would be better,you need less of it but you have to be more careful to handle it.

pH meters are generally available, You need to regularly calibrate pH meters though. litmus paper would be much easier and cheaper to use

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    And its effect on one's teeth.

I've just come back from the dentist, and I need to have four fillings and a molar tooth out

She says I need to ditch the Pepsi Max, of which I down around 5 cans a day, because although they are sugar free, the acid in them is eroding my teeth and causing decay.

The problem is I have tried to cut down in the past, but I feel I am addicted to them. So I need a plan, and I have the following thoughts, which I thought I'd share with you lot in case you had any sarcastic comments

1. Addiction is probably caused by the caffeine, of which there is 42.6mg in each can. I plan to purchase some Pro Plus caffeine tablets initially (each one contains 50mg) to take instead of the drink, so that I can stop drinking the coke immediately without getting caffeine withdrawal.

2. Other psychological "highs" from it include the sweetener, cold, and carbonation - I could try replicating this with cold mineral water, a soda stream, and some sweetener.

3. The PH of diet coke is around 3. Could I add Sodium bicarbonate to neutralise this back to 7, and would this stop it rotting my teeth, and could I do this without making it taste disgusting? Can I buy a ph meter to determine this?

4. Apparently the artificial sweetener Xylitol is alkali. Could I add this to pepsi max to neutralise its acids (mainly phosphoric acid) without destroying its taste.

5. You can get dental fissure sealants to cover the cracks in the teeth to prevent them from eroding. But can you also get a kind of dental paint that can be painted on top of the rest of the surface of the teeth to protect them? Or can you fire microscopic fragments of zinc into the surface to protect them in the same way that galvanization protects steel from erosion?
    At school someone put tippex onto their teeth to make them look good, but apparently this was not a good idea...
    Stick to beer, idiot...

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Stop using it NOW - it's terrible tulip, especially the "Diet" one

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Maybe. I'm not sure how effective use of a straw is in terms of keeping the offending liquid away from the teeth.

Or was this a "straw man" statement?
    Maybe you should just stop drinking the stuff.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Shotgun it.

Shake the can first if you really want it 'expresso'.

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by Anonimouse View Post
    Straw
    Maybe. I'm not sure how effective use of a straw is in terms of keeping the offending liquid away from the teeth.

Or was this a "straw man" statement?

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    Straw

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    So I need a plan..
    Go straight to dentures & save a fortune on dental fees over the years, and as a bonus allowing you to carry on your additiction.... sorted HTH

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    I've just come back from the dentist, and I need to have four fillings and a molar tooth out

She says I need to ditch the Pepsi Max, of which I down around 5 cans a day, because although they are sugar free, the acid in them is eroding my teeth and causing decay.
    No need to cut back. Just bypass your teeth....

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Are you Shane McGowan?

Quick exit...

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
    Just snort this stuff instead....

Caffeine in Black Label Brewed Coffee
    "Caffeine level: Dangerous". I like it

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    I've a feeling your teeth aren't the only things you'll be having problems with in time...
    You mean the aspartame in it, which some people think is bad for you?

Leave a comment:

• SimonMac
    replied
    And its effect on one's teeth.

The problem is I have tried to cut down in the past, but I feel I am addicted to them. So I need a plan, and I have the following thoughts, which I thought I'd share with you lot in case you had any sarcastic comments

1. Addiction is probably caused by the caffeine, of which there is 42.6mg in each can. I plan to purchase some Pro Plus caffeine tablets initially (each one contains 50mg) to take instead of the drink, so that I can stop drinking the coke immediately without getting caffeine withdrawal.

2. Other psychological "highs" from it include the sweetener, cold, and carbonation - I could try replicating this with cold mineral water, a soda stream, and some sweetener.

4. Apparently the artificial sweetener Xylitol is alkali. Could I add this to pepsi max to neutralise its acids (mainly phosphoric acid) without destroying its taste.

5. You can get dental fissure sealants to cover the cracks in the teeth to prevent them from eroding. But can you also get a kind of dental paint that can be painted on top of the rest of the surface of the teeth to protect them? Or can you fire microscopic fragments of zinc into the surface to protect them in the same way that galvanization protects steel from erosion?
    At school someone put tippex onto their teeth to make them look good, but apparently this was not a good idea...
    Just snort this stuff instead....

Caffeine in Black Label Brewed Coffee

Leave a comment:

Working...
X