• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Has anyone created own consultancy after years of contracting?"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    More than a few bitter folks I see. Am I surprised? No. Achievements are made through hard work. It never fails to amaze me how many others expect to achieve the same without the effort. To the OP, you should expect this along the way. Distance yourself from negative people, congregate with those who inspire you. If you're turned down for a job, don't dwell on it. Move on move quickly, use the experience to improve your approach. Soon enough the searches for new work become enquires you never sought. Choice is often my problem these days, I'll pick those projects that spur my interest against those I think are not achievable in time, no matter the money thrown our way. (unless it's really offensive!).

Leave a comment:

• minestrone
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    I work alone. Every tIme I was asked, can you work as part of team my answer is no. I'm just lying to myself otherwise. My answer is the right one and I know that because I came up with it. That's how a consultant thinks. And when you think like that you can convince others with confidence. On occasion I'll sub-contract work out when I'm overworked myself. It is therefore important to maintain a strong network. In fact networking, I spend a day every week just on networking, very important. More than half my work is through networking. Currently all my work is direct, even large US companies. Get to know people, not companies, that'll ensure work comes. Oh and don't burn bridges. In fact do the opposite, build trust. Ask yourself always, would you trust this person / business? If there's even a doubt, move on.

The final key to the way I promote is bravado. I play to people's fantasies. People may not always think big themselves. but they can get very excited by those who do. That is why a little hyperbole never hurts. People want to believe that something is the biggest, the greatest and the most spectacular.

Donald J. Trump, Trump: The Art of the Deal

Leave a comment:

• Kanye
    replied
    TBC
    Last edited by Kanye; 11 December 2018, 15:47.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    I work alone. Every tIme I was asked, can you work as part of team my answer is no. I'm just lying to myself otherwise. My answer is the right one and I know that because I came up with it. That's how a consultant thinks. And when you think like that you can convince others with confidence. On occasion I'll sub-contract work out when I'm overworked myself. It is therefore important to maintain a strong network. In fact networking, I spend a day every week just on networking, very important. More than half my work is through networking. Currently all my work is direct, even large US companies. Get to know people, not companies, that'll ensure work comes. Oh and don't burn bridges. In fact do the opposite, build trust. Ask yourself always, would you trust this person / business? If there's even a doubt, move on.
    Aye, - right! - pompous bampot.
    after untold years on CUK he has a crack team of gladiators, who can also bleed radiators.
    reassuringly expensive too.

and does impressive <well, he thinks so> squiggly lines in different colours to back up his deranged beliefs

Last edited by BR14; 10 December 2018, 20:01.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by Skag View Post
    How long have you been prepping for?
    2 years. This time next year, Rodders.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Yes, yes but have you finally got your clients to pay your expenses?
    Idiot.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Leave a comment:

• aj4u
    replied
    @scooterscot do you work on your own or do you have a team ? Interested in learning about your journey if you would be willing to share / mentor me

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    If you have to ask, it's not for you.

HTH

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Still working on it. This time next year, Rodders.
    How long have you been prepping for?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Yes.

Now I spend my time reviewing the work of failed contractors.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Still working on it. This time next year, Rodders.

Leave a comment:

• Skag
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post
    After years of contracting? No, we're far too rich/zombiefied brained/lazy for that.
    Well...year(s)

Leave a comment:

• GJABS
    replied
    After years of contracting? No, we're far too rich/zombiefied brained/lazy for that.

Leave a comment:

• aj4u
    replied
    +1 keen to learn more on this topic & find mentors / other people in the same / similar boat !

Leave a comment:

Working...
X