• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Lonesome This Christmas"

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Responsibilities.

If the wife buggers off with her toyboy and leaves you with the kids, you're still not going to be living the bachelor life.

I regularly go on holiday on my own, or away for a weekend with friends - I enjoy it much more when there's no-one else to please and I'm not feeling responsible for anyone else's "good time". Thoroughly recommend it - married, single, or anywhere in between.
    Actually I offered for her to bugger off and leave me with the kids; she actually thought about! and said she'd rather have the CSA. She also tried spousal maintenance but the judge said she was too young and should get a job, I didn't smirk ..... I howled when outside the courthouse.

Leave a comment:

• Scruff
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Responsibilities.

If the wife buggers off with her toyboy and leaves you with the kids, you're still not going to be living the bachelor life.

I regularly go on holiday on my own, or away for a weekend with friends - I enjoy it much more when there's no-one else to please and I'm not feeling responsible for anyone else's "good time". Thoroughly recommend it - married, single, or anywhere in between.
    Mrs Scruff and I have at least 2 proper holidays per year, without one another. We also have holidays together. As per Mudskipper - highly recommend it.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post
    Actually, thinking about it, the biggest barrier from a good life to a great life is a wife!!
    Responsibilities.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Actually, thinking about it, the biggest barrier from a good life to a great life is a wife!!
    Don't I know it!

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Hope the wives of some on here don't ever look into CUK!

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Big Blue Plymouth
    replied
    Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    Including my other post above, have you considered therapy/counseling? Perhaps you have difficulty processing and talking about issues of the past. If you have a counselor/therapist you don't get on with, ditch them and find another. Must as with dating, it takes a while to find the right one.
    I did briefly after the bust up and it was helpful.

Originally posted by Platypus View Post

I chose Tinder and it worked out great. Been in a new relationship for >1 year now .

Back to you though: singles holiday or cruise. I'm envious! Have fun.

EDIT: On balance, singles holiday, because there everyone is in the same position.
    Glad it worked out

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    this is an interesting thread which presents a view on life which I have yet to experience

the responses in the main seem very helpful

actually the cruises, and singles holidays sound like fun

I have a friend/colleague who goes to Crete alone every September for two weeks of peace and quiet, and he's married with two children

over here on the continent, gentlemen's weekends seem much more popular than in the UK, where a group of old friends who also happen to be husbands and fathers go away a few times a year for a gentlemen's weekend

all the best and good luck

Milan.
    Yep, cruise or US road trip in January is the plan. Weather will be crap but sometimes you can't beat the open road. Chicago to New Orleans looking good...

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    this is an interesting thread which presents a view on life which I have yet to experience

I have a friend/colleague who goes to Crete alone every September for two weeks of peace and quiet, and he's married with two children

over here on the continent, gentlemen's weekends seem much more popular than in the UK, where a group of old friends who also happen to be husbands and fathers go away a few times a year for a gentlemen's weekend

Milan.
    Perhaps it was "Gentlemen's Weekends" that got him in trouble in the first instance.

Or maybe it's all complete bollocks.

Leave a comment:

• milanbenes
    replied

Milan.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    There's many people who would rather spend Christmas with friends rather than family, and if you have good friends who understand your circumstances, you could try asking some of them if you can join them.
    But it's reliant on you having good friends that you are honest with. Some might tell you to get on your bike, but others might welcome you into their home.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Why is being on your own at christmas any different from, say, feb 15th?? and why is it a problem? ..
    Presumably in practice because someone on their own at Christmas feels that everyone else is visiting their family and having a generally sociable time.

To some extent, although probably not as much as the lonely people imagine, that is true. But having a sociable time with the in laws doesn't always equate to having a good time!

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Why is being on your own at christmas any different from, say, feb 15th??
    and why is it a problem?
    i spend a fair bit of my time alone, wholly by choice.
    Feb 15th is my birthday

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Why is being on your own at christmas any different from, say, feb 15th??
    and why is it a problem?
    i spend a fair bit of my time alone, wholly by choice.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by contractorinatractor View Post
    Tinder, or better still, Bumble. Bumble is mostly professionals and most aren't just after a quick tumble in the bumble, but rather to meet someone decent.
    Urgh - Bumbl - lots of ladies who think they are entrepreneurs and professionals looking for someone 10 years younger who must be rich, successful, well-travelled, beach bod, etc.

I chose Tinder and it worked out great. Been in a new relationship for >1 year now

Go on a singles holiday. I went with JustYou. These singles hols are mostly middle-aged women. The ones I met were mostly bonkers (in a nice British eccentric way). Little risk of a bunk up but terrific fun! I'm a bit cheesed off I only got to go on one of these before I met my new GF.

I almost did Christmas alone. Lunchtime visit to the pub followed by dinner for one and a box set, sounded good, but I decided against for fear of getting maudling and pissed on my own (this is never good whoever you are). Lucky for me I am on speakers with my my family and I did lunch there then to a mate's (and his missues) for more booze and talking bollox until late.

Back to you though: singles holiday or cruise. I'm envious! Have fun.

EDIT: On balance, singles holiday, because there everyone is in the same position.

Leave a comment:

• contractorinatractor
    replied
    Originally posted by Big Blue Plymouth View Post
    Anyone ever done Christmas on their own?

This is my first one since my 15 year marriage ended.

Rest of my family, except my brother, are either dead or on no speakers.

So options are:

1) Spend it with brother and sister in law. Usually ends in tears or me retreating to garden shed with 6 pack.

2) Find somewhere sunny where they don't do Christmas. Somewhere possibly Muslim where I won't get decapitated.

3) Get all the normal stuff in, batten down the hatches and eat / drink myself into oblivion for a couple of days.

No 3 sound like most stress free option but how did it ever come to this 😣

Including my other post above, have you considered therapy/counseling? Perhaps you have difficulty processing and talking about issues of the past. If you have a counselor/therapist you don't get on with, ditch them and find another. Must as with dating, it takes a while to find the right one.
    Last edited by contractorinatractor; 19 November 2018, 12:04.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X