• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Christmas Furloughs 2018"

Collapse

• BlackCountryContractor
    replied
    Public sector wise for those gigging in emergency services, the current forecast for most contractors on my project is that there won't be a enforced furlough yet but we are told we might be asked to take voluntary leave individually outside of Christmas and boxing day (Still wide open however if managers decide otherwise).

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Never claimed this was new, just thought it would be interesting to share what various companies are enforcing this year.

Cheers, sharing information is normally good, people can just ignore it if they want.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Never claimed this was new, just thought it would be interesting to share what various companies are enforcing this year.

Leave a comment:

• Anonimouse
    replied
    At jpm it was sold as fraud prevention, somebody else does your job for 2 weeks to check.

No enforced furlough at boe this year.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    Banks always have change freezes over christmas.
    so they lay off the expensive <contractor> people, apart from infrastructure support etc.
    It's not new, this
    It's at least 20 years old, and personally I'd be happy with the time off. You know all the banks are now doing this as a matter of routine, so why are we even bothering to discuss it?

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Must be UK-centric
    not in my experience , apart from Arabia, of course

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Originally posted by BR14 View Post
    it started back when the beancounters were promoted over the engineers
    and when 'change manager' became a job title
    Must be UK-centric

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by darmstadt View Post
    Never had this, ever regardless of working in finance, retail, manufacturing, etc. Colleagues working in the same office doing the same job have had it though Even when there is a software freeze I've always had to be there because things still go wrong and you continue to work on future developments thus time is not wasted, this is short sighted by companies when the time could be well utilised
    it started back when the beancounters were promoted over the engineers
    and when 'change manager' became a job title

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Never had this, ever regardless of working in finance, retail, manufacturing, etc. Colleagues working in the same office doing the same job have had it though Even when there is a software freeze I've always had to be there because things still go wrong and you continue to work on future developments thus time is not wasted, this is short sighted by companies when the time could be well utilised

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Banks always have change freezes over christmas.
    so they lay off the expensive <contractor> people, apart from infrastructure support etc.
    It's not new, this

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Originally posted by fibio View Post
    I'm at the same client but London-based, suspension of services commences on Monday 10th Dec for all contractors (except the PAYE 'contractors' on agency's payroll).
    Good to see consistency being applied once again

Leave a comment:

• fibio
    replied
    Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
    Barclays are just communicating theirs out for all managed service supplied contractors:

Mandatory 10 working days from 14 to 31 December (well, incl bank hols), plus
    Additional 5 days in October/November

If you don't have any days off in October/November then your furlough starts on 7 December

If you take more than 5 days off in October/November your furlough period still starts on 14 December
    I'm at the same client but London-based, suspension of services commences on Monday 10th Dec for all contractors (except the PAYE 'contractors' on agency's payroll).

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    replied
    Heaps of people now engaged via the awful outfit that is HCL (myself included). There may be other firms too. Not sure if the lot from Avanade are included. Very few agency type workers - they use an agency to provide the contract but it's all on a SOW to HCL.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    What do they class as Managed Service Contractors? Is that agency supplied as well as the bigger outsourcers?

I only ask as when we all got walked a couple of years ago some key guys were transferred to the Manager Services like Tech Mahindra which weren't in scope of the head count chops so I'm a little confused what they consider 'Manager Service Contractors' now.

Leave a comment:

• ladymuck
    started a topic Christmas Furloughs 2018

Christmas Furloughs 2018

Barclays are just communicating theirs out for all managed service supplied contractors:

Mandatory 10 working days from 14 to 31 December (well, incl bank hols), plus
    Additional 5 days in October/November

If you don't have any days off in October/November then your furlough starts on 7 December

If you take more than 5 days off in October/November your furlough period still starts on 14 December

Working...
X