• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "property prices in Edinburgh"

Collapse

• scooterscot
    replied
    Might have just sold me Edinburgh pad in time...

First house price fall in England since 2012

Increase in properties coming to market in east central Scotland and Edinburgh

Everyone is jumping ship. 'Short' that market

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
    Keeping the cash in gold until the correction is over.

The part I'm struggling with is handing a 1.25-1.5% fee over to the agent. In Germany it is the purchaser that would usually pay the fee, not the seller. Regardless, charging almost £10k as a fee for selling is taking the pi$$. Estate agents days are coming to and end and I think they know.

Aye fixed rate agents such as Purple Bricks will take over as people are squeezed into negative equity where every cost towards clearing their debt becomes an issue.

It's been a long time coming, those greasy agents (of all kinds ) don't like being seen for what they are.

Once fixed rate becomes the norm (among the normal people, the high end will still have commission based agents fleecing the rich, the price they pay to keep away from the plebs) then the margins will be squeezed even further as the competition forces them down.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Keeping the cash in gold until the correction is over.

The part I'm struggling with is handing a 1.25-1.5% fee over to the agent. In Germany it is the purchaser that would usually pay the fee, not the seller. Regardless, charging almost £10k as a fee for selling is taking the pi$$. Estate agents days are coming to and end and I think they know.

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Just flew back from Edinburgh last night after inviting a number of estate agents round for their opinion. All in the same ballpark, at least 10x of a professional's income. Insane.

Asking price is not as important as how quickly it will sell at that price. Better to be too high and negotiate down than be too low and get a sale as soon as it hits the market. (Not that I'm familiar with how it all works in Scotland. )

As with many people in London with multi million pound terrace houses, it's a no-brainer to sell up at such a high price if you don't want to continue living in such an expensive part of the country. It will buy a much nicer place elsewhere, or keep it in cash and buy cheap assets if the world economy does crash soon.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Just flew back from Edinburgh last night after inviting a number of estate agents round for their opinion. All in the same ballpark, at least 10x of a professional's income. Insane.

Gave the job to a local agent. Discounted another because I knew he was a leave voter, even though his services were a little cheaper!
    You sad little man. I bet you piss sitting down.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Make sure you post a linky so we can get our "sealed bids" though your letter box. Any advance on one jobbie in a flaming envelope?

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied

Gave the job to a local agent. Discounted another because I knew he was a leave voter, even though his services were a little cheaper!

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I'll open a just giving page since the demand seems to be there.
    that's it "Just Giving a *****!"

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Wow! Amazeballs! Go Scoots! Investment King! Ask them for their appraisal on Holyroodhouse too whilst you're at it will ya?

ps - pretty sure it can't 'all' be CGT free, what with you not living in it and all. You'll need to cough up on the increase in value after you moved out - and if we know anything about you at all, it's likely that this will be the most significant chunk

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    I'll open a just giving page since the demand seems to be there.

Leave a comment:

• Scotslaw
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    not only have the neighbours clubbed together to buy him out at that price they are also paying his tax.

They are that worried he will come back!

It's not just the neighbours, it's a national fund raiser. We all chipped in 10p to cover the costs

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Its all tax free!!!
    not only have the neighbours clubbed together to buy him out at that price they are also paying his tax.

They are that worried he will come back!

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Why aren't you selling it for tulipcoins?

P.S. Don't forget to pay CGT on your non-primary residence
    Its all tax free!!!

Leave a comment:

• Scotslaw
    replied
    I'll give you £250,000 for it... you know it's a good price

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    *** Yawn ***

Leave a comment:

Working...