• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "London finance exodus to..."

Collapse

• RetSet
    replied
    Originally posted by Batcher View Post
    Also, polls show that younger people are roughly 80/20 in favour of independence so every year more of those voters are available to yes whereas the older voters who voted no are dying off. 16 & 17 year olds are allowed to vote in the independence referendum.
    Correct. Older people die, BUT young people grow up. Don't be surprise to find that a proportion of kiddies who voted yes would vote no, now they have grown up a bit.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    Yeah I'll go with that when I was at ex-poly in Edinburgh I met a lovely young woman from Lossiemouth - and she had possibly the best accent ever.

and thats only an hour from Inverness...
    There, FTFY. You wouldn't have been admitted to Edinburgh University.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Inverness is normally mentioned for the best Scottish accent although the contact centres are usually round the central belt.
    Yeah I'll go with that when I was in Uni in Edinburgh I met a lovely young woman from Lossiemouth - and she had possibly the best accent ever.

and thats only an hour from Inverness...

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    But like most places the scottish accent does vary quite considerably - is there any particular region of Scotland which has the 'best' accent?
    Inverness is normally mentioned for the best Scottish accent although the contact centres are usually round the central belt.

Leave a comment:

• NigelJK
    replied
    Barclays have said the reason for this investment in the Glasgow campus is to bring jobs back in-house.
    What do you think this means?
    I reckon it means getting rid of the big consultancies /outsourcers and having mostly staff jobs with a few one-man band contractors when needed.
    Or does anyone reckon its going to be a permie only paradise?
    They are about to open a similar centre in Pune, India. It will be staffed by Barclays permanent staff.

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied

https://www.matinee.co.uk/blog/scott...-call-centres/

The Scottish Accent

Although the Scottish accent is said to be one of the most difficult to imitate and sometimes tricky to understand, a study has recognised that the accent is found to be friendly and honest throughout the UK. They score highest for both trustworthiness and competence which instils confidence in people. In fact, there has been so much positive feedback from the accent representing a number of brands that Scotland is said to be turning into a call centre nation. There are over 108,000 employees in over 400 contact centres in Scotland.

The reason that call centres are drifting from Mumbai to Motherwell is due to a number of factors. Firstly, it’s the Scots’ ability to understand English colloquialisms and deal with each case individually. Their job isn’t simply to read from a standard script. Building rapport with customers is very important for brands interested in building brand loyalty. A positive call centre experience and a sympathetic sounding Scot can make all the difference. The natural Scots tone, sounds neither haughty nor detached. Scottish voices have ‘something’, and that something is worth a lot to business.
    But like most places the scottish accent does vary quite considerably - is there any particular region of Scotland which has the 'best' accent?

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by LondonManc View Post
    Getting rid of consultants is big, as is onshoring call centres. That said, Glaswegian isn't much of an improvement from a broad Bangalore accent.

https://www.matinee.co.uk/blog/scott...-call-centres/

The Scottish Accent

Although the Scottish accent is said to be one of the most difficult to imitate and sometimes tricky to understand, a study has recognised that the accent is found to be friendly and honest throughout the UK. They score highest for both trustworthiness and competence which instils confidence in people. In fact, there has been so much positive feedback from the accent representing a number of brands that Scotland is said to be turning into a call centre nation. There are over 108,000 employees in over 400 contact centres in Scotland.

The reason that call centres are drifting from Mumbai to Motherwell is due to a number of factors. Firstly, it’s the Scots’ ability to understand English colloquialisms and deal with each case individually. Their job isn’t simply to read from a standard script. Building rapport with customers is very important for brands interested in building brand loyalty. A positive call centre experience and a sympathetic sounding Scot can make all the difference. The natural Scots tone, sounds neither haughty nor detached. Scottish voices have ‘something’, and that something is worth a lot to business.

Leave a comment:

• scooterscot
    replied
    Getting rid of consultants is big, as is onshoring call centres. That said, Glaswegian isn't much of an improvement from a broad Bangalore accent.

Many have commented on me infectious Glaswegian accent and casual banter.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Originally posted by Benny View Post
    Seems to be more of a geographic slur than racism... in which case if I call people from Liverpool "thieving Scousers" am I being racistaccurate?
    Probably.

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Seems to be more of a geographic slur than racism... in which case if I call people from Liverpool "thieving Scousers" am I being racist?

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    We'll have to annex Glasgow and Coulport, we need somewhere to keep our nukes
    Milford Haven... there's tidy!

Leave a comment:

• Benny
    replied
    That said, Glaswegian isn't much of an improvement from a broad Bangalore accent.
    I know what you're saying but the First Direct call centre in Hamilton (12 miles South of Glasgow) works well

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Back on topic.

Barclays have said the reason for this investment in the Glasgow campus is to bring jobs back in-house.
    I reckon it means getting rid of the big consultancies /outsourcers and having mostly staff jobs with a few one-man band contractors when needed.

Leave a comment:

• Batcher
    replied
    Originally posted by Pat Phelan View Post
    Back on topic.

They will definitely use contractors when needed. Barclays Wealth in Glasgow have use contractors for years too.

Leave a comment:

• Pat Phelan
    replied
    Back on topic.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X