• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Dilbert

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Dilbert"

Collapse

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
    Git. The eponymous source repository.

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    He did have a point.

well he was a prick!

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Seems fine here...

Leave a comment:

• alreadypacked
    replied
    Why is the link to Dilbert not working

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Something like this?
    !

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Uncle Albert View Post
    Something like this?
    Excellent.

Leave a comment:

• Uncle Albert
    replied
    We need an emoji for that.
    Something like this?

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    Had an interview once for a gig. Knew the bloke (IT manager) anyway so it was a done deal afterwards

BUt before it had to be rubber stamped by the new financial director. Then got told he wanted to speak to me.

First question - "so this is a lot of money, why should we pay you this much when its x times more than the permies get?".
    He did have a point.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NLyUK View Post
    Don't beat yourself up. If you ask nicely and for a large fee I can send somebody round for that...
    FTFY

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    £50 to hit it with the hammer, £1250 for knowing where to hit it with the hammer!
    Or who to hit with a hammer.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    Had an interview once for a gig. Knew the bloke (IT manager) anyway so it was a done deal afterwards

BUt before it had to be rubber stamped by the new financial director. Then got told he wanted to speak to me.

First question - "so this is a lot of money, why should we pay you this much when its x times more than the permies get?". The IT manager just went redder and redder as the FD asked stupider and more rude questions. I knew it was then not going to happen.... and it was.

To this day, I still know the original fella and he still apologies for the actions of his FD.
    £50 to hit it with the hammer, £1250 for knowing where to hit it with the hammer!

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied

First question - "so this is a lot of money, why should we pay you this much when its x times more than the permies get?". The IT manager just went redder and redder as the FD asked stupider and more rude questions. I knew it was then not going to happen.... and it was.

To this day, I still know the original fella and he still apologies for the actions of his FD.
    Yet you couldn't explain about experience, risk taken, that it is a pre-tax figure, you have no holiday or sick pay, no training days, your pension has to come out of that figure, etc.?

AYCOTBAC (Don't answer that for him NLUK!!!)

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Hobosapien
    replied
    Classic ...
    Reminds me when a client changed their procurement policy while I was mid contract so at renewal it had to be approved by a member of the board as it was over a certain value threshold that previously didn't exist.

The IT director requested a meeting with me and the team leader who was my 'handler' at the client, during which the director commented with surprise that I was getting paid so much. I had the feeling it was comparable to his salary and somehow I had been flying under his radar so far, so I said "that's before tax". He visibly relaxed, his position of dominance re-established.

Renewal was approved, apparently they did need me after all.

I suppose senior management may only usually look at the project cost when approving things so expect those lower down the chain to ensure value for money for individual resources. Keep your head down and don't arrive on site too flashy, you might dent someone's ego.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X