• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: AIBU

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "AIBU"

Collapse

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    This thread fails to address the root cause, which is a surfeit of cretins on CUK.
    That is indeed the issue.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    This thread fails to address the root cause, which is a surfeit of cretins on CUK.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It was just Jooeeeyyy in my time. The names have changed, the insults never will.
    Ah, a man of a similar vintage (I remember that from junior school, c.1980). One poor kid had the surname Deacon, I'm not sure if he ever got over it...

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Whilst googling the subject, I learned that kids now call each other 'scopey' - the spastics society having changed their name to Scope some years back because spastic and derivatives thereof was such a widely used insult.
    It was just Jooeeeyyy in my time. The names have changed, the insults never will.

Leave a comment:

• Bean
    replied
    So we can still label sas, a CRETIN ?

Excellent for the rest of us, not so good for the Protector of Snowflakes

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by mudskipper View Post
    Whilst googling the subject, I learned that kids now call each other 'scopey' - the spastics society having changed their name to Scope some years back because spastic and derivatives thereof was such a widely used insult.
    Quite. Replace one word with another and sooner or later that word gets used as an insult too.

Leave a comment:

• administrator
    replied
    AIBU - using terms from mumsnet will result in being called a cretin. Persistent use will lead to having a user title of mumsnetcretin being applied.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    What has what is legal or correct got to do with quality and consistence of moderation on here?
    Fair point. I thought we were in Acc/Legal for a moment...

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    Can't we just call them brexitards, and no one with any intelligence is offended?

Mods! Mods! Some Remainer has hijacked Dim's account.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Avoidance is legal, surely?
    What has what is legal or correct got to do with quality and consistence of moderation on here?

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Well, it could be if slang variations of swearwords is also against forum rules. But after asking my accountant who told me to do a search it appears you might be right.

EDIT : Actually thinking about it you are right but when used in the phrase feckwit it's a more acceptable replacement for ****wit so is clearly avoidance of the swear filter.
    Avoidance is legal, surely?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Does that mean we have to say goodbye to this little fellow?

First it was Bob, now it's little nodding smiliey. So many victims of PC'ism.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
    Feckwit is simply a portmanteau of 'feck' and 'wit'.

Presumably, our new CUK language police would have us stop using the terms 'mad', 'insane', 'demented' and 'manic'.
    Nah, unless you put '****' before or after it.

EDIT : Which is edited out even with u swapped for @ so to bypass the swear filter I have to say feck. Point made

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    FFS what a moronic thread.

Leave a comment:

• Old Greg
    replied
    Well, it could be if slang variations of swearwords is also against forum rules. But after asking my accountant who told me to do a search it appears you might be right.

EDIT : Actually thinking about it you are right but when used in the phrase feckwit it's a more acceptable replacement for ****wit so is clearly avoidance of the swear filter.
    Feckwit is simply a portmanteau of 'feck' and 'wit'.

Presumably, our new CUK language police would have us stop using the terms 'mad', 'insane', 'demented' and 'manic'.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X