• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Giving personal details to an agency leads to slanging match."

Collapse

• LondonManc
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
    It's either trolling or it's providing factual and pertinent advice tailored to the posters situation so .. erm helping.... erm.. forget that. Swing that hammer baby!
    Are you asking for a ban hammering?

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    Is that you admitting to trolling the forum after whinging that people were attacking you?

If so, I'm happy to get out the hammer.
    It's either trolling or it's providing factual and pertinent advice tailored to the posters situation so .. erm helping.... erm.. forget that. Swing that hammer baby!

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Originally posted by billybiro View Post
    Is that you admitting to trolling the forum after whinging that people were attacking you?

If so, I'm happy to get out the hammer.

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by Zigenare View Post
    Seriously, you're getting boring now. If you don't want to agree to terms, don't do it.

But for all that is holy, keep it to your ******** self!
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    And you are really starting to sound like an annoying twat.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

So, exactly what assurances does everyone get when handing over their passports to agents/clients in order to prove their eligibility to work? Do you simply accept, on blind faith, that they'll store your details "securely" simply because they say so?
    Heard of the Data Protection Act? Heard of the General Data Protection Regulation?

Any identifying personal details any business has on you have to be stored in compliance with these. So whether the business is an agency, client or even you own business they need to comply otherwise they can be fined.

Oh btw I was told that banks regulary breached the DPA.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    So, exactly what assurances does everyone get when handing over their passports to agents/clients in order to prove their eligibility to work? Do you simply accept, on blind faith, that they'll store your details "securely" simply because they say so?
    Now you've got me worried - I give agents/clients my company bank account details. I must stop doing that and insisting on cash only from now on, because I'm accepting on blind faith that they'll use the details to pay me, simply because they say so.

Keep drinking the Kool-Aid.

Leave a comment:

• LondonManc
    replied
    It's never been the agency that's asked me; it's either the screening organisation or the client themselves, either once the contract has been offered in the case of the screening organisation, or on first day on site in the case of the client (they expect to see either your passport or both your driving licence and original birth certificate).

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    One of the big problems is that it's currently a very grey area regarding the legality of taking photocopies of passports. Particularly colour photocopies/scans.
    It sort of isn't. 'Employers' are legally obliged to retain a copy of the documentation which proves you are entitled to work in the UK. Which in most cases will be your passport. The penalties for not doing so far outweigh the penalties for infringing Crown Copyright, and should anyone face prosecution for the latter offence, their defence will automatically be "in order to be within compliance" with the former.
    In short, anyone taking a photocopy of a passport in order to comply with the current Home Office regs will not be prosecuted. They are far more likely to be prosecuted if they don't. And you are really starting to sound like an annoying twat.

Leave a comment:

• Zigenare
    replied
    One of the big problems is that it's currently a very grey area regarding the legality of taking photocopies of passports. Particularly colour photocopies/scans.

The government's own FCO and Right To Work websites have conflicting information regarding this and the IPS (Identity & Passport Service) have this to say:

Seriously, you're getting boring now. If you don't want to agree to terms, don't do it.

But for all that is holy, keep it to your ******** self!

Leave a comment:

• billybiro
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    Exactly. What's the problem anyway....?

The government's own FCO and Right To Work websites have conflicting information regarding this and the IPS (Identity & Passport Service) have this to say:

This states: “… the Identity and Passport Service (IPS) advises passport holders to only agree to the reproduction of the personal details page in the passport if they are satisfied that the person or organisation they are giving this to will protect it from unauthorised disclosure.” It continues, “The Identity and Passport Service advises organisations who wish to retain a reproduction of the personal details in the passport that they should obtain the consent of the individual to do so. Organisations are also advised to retain a record of the consent and to store the passport details securely.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by psychocandy View Post
    My take - if its not too much hassle for me then no problem - not going to lose a gig over it.
    Exactly. What's the problem anyway....?

Leave a comment:

• darmstadt
    replied
    Must be a UK thing as they're the only ones who have ever asked me for this information. Over here, I've only ever been asked by one company for a photocopy of my passport to prove that I was eligible to work in the EU and that was after I had been onsite for a few weeks (they already had this information though as I've worked there 3 times) and a government institution required a criminal check which they performed themselves after I gave them permission. Agencies have never asked for this information, ever.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    While we're on the subject - anyone want to see it ?
    Not even your wife.

My take - if its not too much hassle for me then no problem - not going to lose a gig over it.
    That's mostly my attitude too. Also, if you give them your passport details to the end client then when they book flights for you, you let them do all the legwork. A few previous clients I've given them my airline and hotel cards and told them that those were my preferences for travel, asking them to make sure the bookings were made with the loyalty card already on there.

Leave a comment:

• northernladuk
    replied
    Personally, I find agents ask for all sorts of stupid info.

In fact, if agent wants to see my c@ck then here it is - now are we good to go? (never happened mind just in case you were wondering)

We see a cock everytime your name appears on the forum. HTH.

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Personally, I find agents ask for all sorts of stupid info.

In fact, if agent wants to see my c@ck then here it is - now are we good to go? (never happened mind just in case you were wondering)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X