• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Stock market fluctuations entered danger zone last week"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I wouldn't wait for a collapse, I would just wait for corrections. Currently it's a bit expensive. The thing is you need to know when a share is over valued or under valued. I base my decisions on my distance learning business degree, where we were taught to analyse companies based on the annual report. I spent many hours analysing companies balance sheets and P&L. Once you have that training the stock market is a great investment. You can learn this stuff yourself or otherwise buy into funds and use timing. A constant amount each month into a fund, and money held back for the crash. My general rule is have enough cash to double your portfolio after a crash that means no more than 66% of your investment should be in the stock market during a boom.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    TBH I don't have many shares, well in fact I have none. But after a collapse might be a good time to start investing.
    It's an excellent time. But what if you invest before it all bottoms out?

Leave a comment:

• GreenMirror
    replied
    Will this affect gene editing stocks?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    A crash is at least a year probably more like 2 or 3 years away. The beginnings of the slowdown are there, "labor" shortages, rising oil prices, commodity prices and interest rates. Don't be surprised when it crashes if prices crash back down to where they are now.

Always make sure you have plenty of cash for more purchases when it happens.

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I carefully read that paper in the link. It contains no details whatsoever, complete garbage. Was this from the Daily Mail Doom prediction team by any chance?

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Yep, obviously the lottery like any random event has no "memory". So each time you lose, you're back to square one.

Also, I'm a bit suspicious of those Colour and Number combos on Lotto tickets. As they are presumably generated by Camelot's computers, who's to say they are truly random and not carefully contrived so there are fewer than expected winners?!

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Talking of idiots I reckon I'm long overdue for a £1m+ win on the National Lottery. It's starting to pee me off.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gambler%27s_fallacy

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    TBH I don't have many shares, well in fact I have none. But after a collapse might be a good time to start investing.

(I've bet on several house raffles though, probably two or three thousand pounds so far over the last couple of years. The odds are literally thousands of times better than the "Idiot's Tax" National Lottery, and I wonder why more people don't do it.)
    Talking of idiots I reckon I'm long overdue for a £1m+ win on the National Lottery. It's starting to pee me off.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied

(I've bet on several house raffles though, probably two or three thousand pounds so far over the last couple of years. The odds are literally thousands of times better than the "Idiot's Tax" National Lottery, and I wonder why more people don't do it.)
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 5 June 2018, 14:57.

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So instead of selling all your holdings and then buying after the collapse, you're keeping your holdings and buying more after the collapse?

That's certainly my strategy.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    So, have you sold all your holdings yet?

Nah, waiting to pile in once stocks have gone through the floor ..

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    So, have you sold all your holdings yet?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Trump is the right man, in the right place at the right time.

Leave a comment:

• Stock market fluctuations entered danger zone last week

2018-06-01 The Stock Market Has Grown Unstable Since February 2018

.. Decreases in U indicate regimes of "high co-movement", a market behavior that is not the same as volatility, though market volatility can be a component of co-movement.

Applying the same analysis to stock-price data from the beginning of 2016 until now, we find that the U value for the period since 5 February is significantly lower than for the period before.

This decrease entered the "danger zone" in the last week of May, 2018.

Working...
X