• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Question for Musicians"

Collapse

• BlasterBates
    replied
    Originally posted by DS23
    yup. well kind of...

epiphone are gibsons budget guitars. ie pretty much the same thing only cheaper.

anyway, epiphone guitar manufacture is (or at least was) outsourced to a korean company called samick. samick make their own guitars as well as being an outsource manufacturer for other peoples wares. i have a samick 650 which was their version of an epiphone 335.

but i don't understand - didn't you just get a brand new rickenbacker? you want a 335 too?
    I have indeed....but there is something about it that makes me feel its incredibly valuable (although it isn't really) I wouldn't mind a cheap guitar I could keep and use when I'm away, and which I'm not frightened bang around, and where I don't have the feeling I have to polish it everytime I touch it.

Actually the reason I rushed and bought the Rickenbacker was it became clear that they're not easy to get hold of, I only found one shop with just a couple in stock, and the waiting time for a new one is two years, otherwise I would have probably tried a few guitars out first.
    Last edited by BlasterBates; 15 January 2007, 13:28.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Originally posted by BlasterBates
    I'm tempted to buy one of these as well, I mean for £400; I might even pick up a secondhand one for a couple of hundred.
    ahh OK.

indeed a 335 copy will only set you back a few bob.

Leave a comment:

• DS23
    replied
    Just read some reviews on Epiphone. Sounds like the Epiphone ES335 is good value for money.

Anybody play it ?
    yup. well kind of...

epiphone are gibsons budget guitars. ie pretty much the same thing only cheaper.

anyway, epiphone guitar manufacture is (or at least was) outsourced to a korean company called samick. samick make their own guitars as well as being an outsource manufacturer for other peoples wares. i have a samick 650 which was their version of an epiphone 335.

but i don't understand - didn't you just get a brand new rickenbacker? you want a 335 too?

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I'm tempted to buy one of these as well, I mean for £400; I might even pick up a secondhand one for a couple of hundred.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    Just read some reviews on Epiphone. Sounds like the Epiphone ES335 is good value for money.

Anybody play it ?
    Great guitars, and a snip at under £400....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied

Anybody play it ?

Leave a comment:

• Shimano105
    replied
    Hmmm... a 335... nice

As for acoustics and sound not being governed by price - so true! My Sigma (Korean Martin) is one of the best sounding acoustics I've played. Rosewood back means it has deep lows instead of loads of nasty midrange. Cost £80 new.

My Ovation, however, sounds as artificial and souless as the plastic bowl it is made from.

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    ...aha so a Rickenbacker sounds like a Gibson does it ?
    Well, as far as the two of them using humbuckers, then yes, they are similar, although the sound is brighter than the Gibsons.

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    ...aha so a Rickenbacker sounds like a Gibson does it ?

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    I was thinking about the 6 string version.

hmm I think the "jangly" might fit with my style. My speciality is a 50's style, as I learn't in a stage band doing swing, hmm "rockabilly or Buddy Holly" best describes it, so a strong treble would be good. I did play a cheap semi-acoustic but it wasn't clear enough.

Do you reckon it would fit with that ?
    A Rickenbacker would be perfect. Either that, or a Gibson ES335.

Rickenbacker is better though....

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    I was thinking about the 6 string version.

hmm I think the "jangly" might fit with my style. My speciality is a 50's style, as I learn't in a stage band doing swing, hmm "rockabilly or Buddy Holly" best describes it, so a strong treble would be good. I did play a cheap semi-acoustic but it wasn't clear enough.

Do you reckon it would fit with that ?

Leave a comment:

• freakydancer
    replied
    To get back to more important things

What about a Rickenbacker, these are quite reasonable £500 secondhand.

Opinions ?? Anybody played one ?
    I have a Rickenbacker 360/12 (aswell as a 1972 Les Paul Custom and 1987 Telecaster ) - lovely guitar, great for the more jangly kinda thing, but not so good for more riff based tunes. If you got the 6-string version, it would probably be more adaptable.

Got it running through a Fender Vibrolux and Vox AC30, as well as more effects than I need, but can get some cool Jonny Greenwood style noises!!

Best effect - Electro Harmonix Micro Synth.

Get one. They're the b*llocks!!

Leave a comment:

• BlasterBates
    replied
    To get back to more important things

What about a Rickenbacker, these are quite reasonable £500 secondhand.

Opinions ?? Anybody played one ?

Leave a comment:

• loadofkods
    replied
    Have a look at this place and build the guitar of your dreams, select body style, neck, woods, frets and just about every detail...
    Warmoth Guitars

Leave a comment:

• AlfredJPruffock
    replied
    Thanks for the advice...

I've never had a really good Guitar, well electric one, I survived with my cheap Japanese copy of some famous type (whatever that was) but I have played someone's Gibson and it was ideal, semi-acoustic but not sure of the number.

I think the guitar that Scotspine is selling would be probably be what I'm looking for.
    My advice is to visit a good stockist of second hand guitars.

I won't advice you as to what model or type of guitar to purchase - all guitars vary and only you can decide what sounds right for you - dont wasted your time poring over guitar mags - just chose the guitar that looks, sounds and feels right - you will know that only after you sit down and play it.

Apart from saving money by buying second hand ,new guitars have new strings and amkes it difficult to assess ,you cant really tell how a new guitar it will wear through time - a used guitar is the way to go.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X