• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Perm noob

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Perm noob"

Collapse

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyF View Post
    Why would they do it at degree level when it's taught in year seven or eight at secondary school, seven years before the child starts university?
    That appears to be news to what passes for Esteemed Customers these benighted days.

Most of them have to take their shoes off to count up to 20.

Leave a comment:

• TonyF
    replied
    Originally posted by Snarf View Post
    They've not brought it back - I have kids at high school now and its not on the IT curriculum.

It certainly wasn't in the 90s when I was at high school - though it was in Scotland (along with CPU architecture and other fairly in depth topics) which made for a jarring transition between English GCSEs and Scottish Highers when we moved back north in '98
    It's on the OCR (see Representation of data in computer systems - OCR) and AQA curricula (see https://www.aqa.org.uk/subjects/comp...representation), and possibly others (one school I work with follows OCR, one follows AQA).

It was on the NEAB GCSE curriculum in 1991 as well.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    they've brought it back then I guess.
    I've met quite a few people with GCSE maths who never touched it.
    They've not brought it back - I have kids at high school now and its not on the IT curriculum.

It certainly wasn't in the 90s when I was at high school - though it was in Scotland (along with CPU architecture and other fairly in depth topics) which made for a jarring transition between English GCSEs and Scottish Highers when we moved back north in '98

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by TonyF View Post
    Why would they do it at degree level when it's taught in year seven or eight at secondary school, seven years before the child starts university?
    they've brought it back then I guess.
    I've met quite a few people with GCSE maths who never touched it.

Leave a comment:

• DoctorStrangelove
    replied
    Originally posted by sasguru View Post
    Why is it that people can't use English fluently any more?
    I've given up with the Maths part, I really don't expect people to have the slightest knowledge of Maths nowadays, even basic calculus which used to be taught at 16 pre 1990.
    But really one should master one's native tongue at a minimum, shirley?
    It appears that most people can no longer tell the difference between "it's" "its" and "its'".

But there you go.

Happily my ongoing dementia probably means I won't worry about it for much longer anyway.

Ain't that inneresting, er, bro, if I might be so bold.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by wparkar View Post
    Damn....got there first.
    That's actually a Good Thing, because it means he is slightly more predictably corny than you!

Leave a comment:

• TonyF
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    They don't even do binary at degree level computer courses any more....

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I've given up with the Maths part, I really don't expect people to have the slightest knowledge of Maths nowadays, even basic calculus which used to be taught at 16 pre 1990.
    When I was in 3rd year secondary school (no I've no idea what that is the new terminology) I was taught binary in maths.
    Also Octal, hexadecimal and for tulips and giggles we picked a random base and did that.

They don't even do binary at degree level computer courses any more.... And all the young CCNA jockeys memorise cheat sheets for the subnetting questions

Leave a comment:

• MonkeysUncle
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    and don't call me Shirley
    Damn....got there first.

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Who says English is the OPs native tongue, and don't call me Shirley

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by ronkeen View Post
    Haven't you read the State of The Market thread ? I can't get a contract 2 years now bro.
    I wonder why. Bro.

Leave a comment:

• sasguru
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    You think?

Sadly, I could care less.
    You mean couldn't care less. Learn English, boy. Try thinking about what you just said logically.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Decided to write this here, as I know people here know what I am talking about.

I mean... individually the words make sense but the order that you have chosen to put them in is... odd, So I *dont* know what you are talking about.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    I started this perm job and one perm team member, not manager, is talking to me as if he is going to be telling me what to do. It is day two tomorrow for me and I will be putting jedi effort in trying not to raise my voice on him in front of him as he is part of the existing perm gang, so I risk getting hated and needing to stand back a little.

The fecker said first day was easier for me, but tomorrow will be more serious. Yo noob it will take me 2 weeks to get up to speed. I am going to communicate that to him tomorrow, and it is gonna be by manly stand, still face . I will have him schedule a meeting in my calendar before talking to me, if he pushes it. The noob think can push around a contractor, you gotta show them from day 1 who the fack they are dealing with.

The issue though is that he is closer regionally ( similar province ) to the rest of the perm gang, so I might be taking stand against 7 people tomorrow. I have dealt with worse situations, before that noob was born.

Decided to write this here, as I know people here know what I am talking about.
    Well said, and we certainly do. Don't let this clown mess you around!

Just make him dance, while you fire a full handgun clip round his feet, and then shoot him in the chest!

The only snag is you'll have to cart him away and bury him somewhere, but that's what friends are for.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X