• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "My own personal motorway lane"

Collapse

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by greenlake View Post
    I guess that would depend on whether you prefer being the pitcher or the catcher....

Little known fact - that's how Brillo prepares for his forthcoming divorces.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by PhiltheGreek View Post
    True enough. So long as a mischievous Royal Consort hasn't removed ones saddle.
    I guess that would depend on whether you prefer being the pitcher or the catcher....

Leave a comment:

• PhiltheGreek
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    True enough. So long as a mischievous Royal Consort hasn't removed ones saddle.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Yorkie62 View Post
    Ride a bike and filter....traffic conjestion! What's that?
    Definately nothing better than the throb of a 1200cc v-twin ducati between your legs.
    doesn't help your spelling though.
    not a great ducati fan, but i agree in principle

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    Definately nothing better than the throb of a 1200cc v-twin ducati between your legs.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    And will give better erectile function: -

Riding a bike does NOT damage sexual or urinary functions | Daily Mail Online

Leave a comment:

• Yorkie62
    replied

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post
    I know this is sarcasm but those people are the reason why traffic jams occur

The only way they can merge once they get to the end of the lane which is closed is for all the other traffic to slow down to zero to let them in

If everyone merged with a mile to go you would happily continue at a certain pace which is above zero.
    Wrong. You can mathematically model it. If all lanes are used and people merge as the lanes close, the traffic moves faster overall and queues are shortened. Shorter queues are important because if the queue goes back as far as a junction you get even more congestion.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/10/13/u...r-traffic.html

https://www.rac.co.uk/drive/advice/d...e/zip-merging/

I have noticed over the years that more people are using the outside lane until the last 100 yards or so.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    I did get pulled over by the rozzers once in the mid 90s for staying in the middle lane. It was 2am, and no-one else was around (except for the police of course). Not quite sure what the point was.
    They wanted to know where to get elbow patches like the ones on your corduroy jacket

Leave a comment:

• kaiser78
    replied
    M25 Surrey/Kent four lane section - inside two lanes always much quicker. Just need to watch out for the lorries...

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    The biggest danger i see on motorways is lorries hogging the middle lane for miles and causing miles of tailback behind.
    They just give a signal and move to middle lane without caring if a car is already there in the middle lane beside them.
    I have seen dozens of times people swerving at the last minute to avoid them

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    Merge in turn should be the rule at the end.
    Like the germans zipper rule...

German Roads Are Smarter Than Yours | Immodest proposal | OZY

And if you do not obey ze rules you will be of to ze camps!

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Originally posted by original PM View Post

The only way they can merge once they get to the end of the lane which is closed is for all the other traffic to slow down to zero to let them in

If everyone merged with a mile to go you would happily continue at a certain pace which is above zero.
    Merge in turn should be the rule at the end.

Leave a comment:

• stek
    replied
    Just remember, back the 80's a mate of mine had a white Mini Metro with a stripe down the side so at first glance it *could* be a Police car.

He also had a Policemen's hat and used to slowly over take people on the motorway, put the hat on authoritatively, and point to the hard shoulder at the driver, who'd pull up as we sped off.

It wasn't even a real police hat, just pretend US copper's hat from a costume shop or something, plastic badges etc

He had some balls that lad, he had one missing hubcap on his car, spotted the same type on a police car, and stole it with the coppers in it while we distracted them in some way that escapes me now. Stag do, Blackpool.....

Leave a comment:

• original PM
    replied
    Originally posted by stek View Post
    And when there is a lane closure - I merge in right at the end - otherwise road capacity is being reduced and traffic flows more slowly. What's the point in merging a mile before and wasting tarmac?

Other drivers applaude my shining logic by showing me I'm number one by raising a finger and miming a banana from their foreheads to indicate that I deserve respect and they're 'thinking' food towards me in the shape of an imaginary banana.

Thanks fellow drivers, I appreciate it....

Leave a comment:

Working...
X