• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Motorhomes....

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Motorhomes...."

Collapse

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    My next gig is remote but weekly commutable if I fly
    With a motorhome like this, you don't even have to worry about where to park your helicopter....

Leave a comment:

• MrMarkyMark
    replied
    Originally posted by malvolio View Post
    New motorhomes are expensive, because they are expensive things to build with a comparatively limited marketplace. A second hand one is a far better option; ours is three years old with 17k on the clock - so barely run in by van standards - and cost £35k. Depreciation seems to be fairly level until you get to the ten-year old mark where they tend to stick at the £20k barrier, mainly because people are always buying them for that sort of money.

Hymers cost loads because they're built on Mercedes chassis. Any Merc is going to be 10-15k more than the Fiat/Peugeot/Renault ones (all the same van incidentally). Transit based ones are a little cheaper but also a little less sophisticated to drive. The bulk of motorhomes are Ducatos on the Al-Co chassis base for good reason.

But for what you need, for single person use, I suggest you don't want a motorhome but a campervan. Smaller, easier to drive and park, nearly as well equipped, just a bit more faffing around when its bedtime. and around 20% cheaper from new...

As for car parks and roadsides, they tend to lack certain amenities, such as water, waste disposal and electricity. Any van is only really standalone for 2-3 days, less if you're having showers every day, even with a solar panel on the roof.

Leave a comment:

• malvolio
    replied
    New motorhomes are expensive, because they are expensive things to build with a comparatively limited marketplace. A second hand one is a far better option; ours is three years old with 17k on the clock - so barely run in by van standards - and cost £35k. Depreciation seems to be fairly level until you get to the ten-year old mark where they tend to stick at the £20k barrier, mainly because people are always buying them for that sort of money.

Hymers cost loads because they're built on Mercedes chassis. Any Merc is going to be 10-15k more than the Fiat/Peugeot/Renault ones (all the same van incidentally). Transit based ones are a little cheaper but also a little less sophisticated to drive. The bulk of motorhomes are Ducatos on the Al-Co chassis base for good reason.

But for what you need, for single person use, I suggest you don't want a motorhome but a campervan. Smaller, easier to drive and park, nearly as well equipped, just a bit more faffing around when its bedtime. and around 20% cheaper from new...

As for car parks and roadsides, they tend to lack certain amenities, such as water, waste disposal and electricity. Any van is only really standalone for 2-3 days, less if you're having showers every day, even with a solar panel on the roof.
    Last edited by malvolio; 11 December 2017, 14:28.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by DimPrawn View Post
    I actually worked with a contractor that lived in a motorhome parked on clients site. He used the vending machines and shower facilities in the office in the evenings.

When senior management found out he was terminated instantly and marched offsite by security.

Do everyone a favour and stay in a hotel or house share.
    That's a man with initiative, I can only assume they offered him a perm job in senior management and when he refused was marched off-site.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I want a motorhome when I retire. However I would never get a Hymer. I have spent a few happy evenings defacing the final letter on illegally parked ones in Lllandudno.

For the others, I just put bread on the roof. The seagulls love pecking at the roves when the sun rises.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    Hah fair enough when it's on your terms.

I did go the motor home show at the nec this yesr. But prices for anything decent where around 45-50k. I've followed a couple of blogs where people travel most of the year and hymer seems the motor home of choice for a second hand one.
    Depends on what you like in a motorhome - Hymer tend to be A-class style, which I personally dislike. I'd have gone for a coachbuilt (maybe a Carioca 656 which has somewhere to keep bikes etc), because the A-class type never appealed.

We looked at one that was around£150k, including a 2-seater convertable that you could park underneath. I just had visions of being like Knightrider

Leave a comment:

• DimPrawn
    replied
    I actually worked with a contractor that lived in a motorhome parked on clients site. He used the vending machines and shower facilities in the office in the evenings.

When senior management found out he was terminated instantly and marched offsite by security.

Do everyone a favour and stay in a hotel or house share.

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    gotcha.

I have spent far too long away from home in the past. Although I like to mix it up. If I was at home constantly I'd go mad after 4 weeks.
    Current client suits as they pay for travel, I decide when and where I go, and I enjoy visiting London 2 or 3 times a month.

London 4/5 days a week every week? Not without a 50% rate increase (plus expenses).
    Hah fair enough when it's on your terms.

I did go the motor home show at the nec this yesr. But prices for anything decent where around 45-50k. I've followed a couple of blogs where people travel most of the year and hymer seems the motor home of choice for a second hand one.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    nah I'm just thinking if I was in the position of having to stay in hotels, B&Bs or a motor home for the duration of the week, so I could earn some cash. Then I would rethink what I'm doing wrong.
    gotcha.

I have spent far too long away from home in the past. Although I like to mix it up. If I was at home constantly I'd go mad after 4 weeks.
    Current client suits as they pay for travel, I decide when and where I go, and I enjoy visiting London 2 or 3 times a month.

London 4/5 days a week every week? Not without a 50% rate increase (plus expenses).

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    I've never done a motor home for work but I think you may have not quite understood.

I loathe hotels, with a passion. The only reason why I've not got a motor home or caravan is due to other reasons, like contract surety, home working quite often, client paying for hotels etc.

The idea of a nice motor-home, that's mine, with my stuff in it whilst working away is definitely not what I'd consider slumming it. It's just likely to cost more than hotels when it all pans out.
    nah I'm just thinking if I was in the position of having to stay in hotels, B&Bs or a motor home for the duration of the week, so I could earn some cash. Then I would rethink what I'm doing wrong.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    Is it still workable to buy a van through the business with no VAT or BIK and convert it?
    as long as you don't put the conversion through the books.

I suspect you'll have to pay BIK though as most 1-man contractor companies do. Unless you have separate business premises. Not worth it IMO.

VW do a modular camper kit for their van. Get the van as a commercial vehicle, buy the modules personally was what I found when researched. The problem was that a VW van is a bit small for 3/4 nights a week, week in week out.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    I can't help but feel if you are staying in portable home for the duration of the week then perhaps you have gone wrong in your contracting life. Apologies, if you are sitting on a million and like the idea of living in a mobile home during the week.
    I've never done a motor home for work but I think you may have not quite understood.

I loathe hotels, with a passion. The only reason why I've not got a motor home or caravan is due to other reasons, like contract surety, home working quite often, client paying for hotels etc.

The idea of a nice motor-home, that's mine, with my stuff in it whilst working away is definitely not what I'd consider slumming it. It's just likely to cost more than hotels when it all pans out.

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Is it still workable to buy a van through the business with no VAT or BIK and convert it?

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by Wilmslow View Post
    Looking for a used motorhome / campervan. My next gig is remote but weekly commutable if I fly - so plan to stay in a hotel during the low season as good value. I looked into a caravan but local policy dictates that this is not an option, but campervans are welcome.

So, I am after a campervan / motorhome. Had a poke about on Ebay / Autorader and can only see utter tat for anything less than £20K!

I don't mind spending some good money on one where I am likely to get close to my investment back in a couple of years - if there are any campveran owners here, and can suggest a decent dealership, and models that are sought after and to avoid, that would be great.

With shower would be good, but, I will be joining the local gym and when on campsite using local facilities so not too bothered, as long as it has a toilet and sink / gas ring etc.
    I can't help but feel if you are staying in portable home for the duration of the week then perhaps you have gone wrong in your contracting life. Apologies, if you are sitting on a million and like the idea of living in a mobile home during the week.

Leave a comment:

• TheFaQQer
    replied
    MY VW T4 is for sale if you're interested - pictures available.

Good runner, well looked after, nice interior etc etc

7309: VW T4 - Vehicle details (CUK discount might be available)

Leave a comment:

Working...
X