• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Just bought some £244.05 worth of Christmas presents"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    What happens if your bank balance is insufficient and you have no overdraft facility, won't the transaction get bounced back?

Probably a charge for bouncing it but 30 quid is a lot less hassle than trying to sort it out with paypal and the merchant. So just draw/transfer any funds in the account until the transaction has bounced.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post

Anyhow I linked Paypal to my credit card but the support staff at the credit card company were very vague/wooly with their answers when I asked 'could an incoming credit card transaction which is pending be canceled minutes after being launched at the sellers side', they couldn't even speak coherent English and didn't seem to understand what I was asking them
    The site MoneySavingExpert.com has the answer for you.

If you pay via Paypal you lose your debit and credit card legal rights to a charge back, and section 75 for credit cards.

Therefore you should always pay by a credit card that you have specifically for the purpose of paying online. If you are paying in Euros then get one that doesn't charge you for such transactions.

Some credit card lenders are known to have a habit of lying about charge backs and section 75 e.g. Halifax to avoid doing them, while others e.g. Nationwide, Amex don't. However some of those that don't e.g. Nationwide have a habit of declining legit transactions.

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Alternatively, phone them this morning and resolve the issue.

FFS
    I phoned them first thing after sending emails last night as proof of requesting cancellation and I got a paypal refund and I unfroze my current account that Paypal was linked to and all is well.

I was informed that was the price that Royal Mail Airsure charged for that volume of board games (4 very small expansion boxes and a couple of board games no bigger than say Monopoly).

Seems to me that their system could not split up the volume of orders into separate boxes for the order (say 1 or 2, 2 of 2) and get an immediate quote from Royal Mail for the two packets so that it lumped everything into one box and that's what Royal Mail where quoting for, either that or some developer gave up on their ordering website and wrote '999' in the code as a ballpark figure.

Anyhow I linked Paypal to my credit card but the support staff at the credit card company were very vague/wooly with their answers when I asked 'could an incoming credit card transaction which is pending be canceled minutes after being launched at the sellers side', they couldn't even speak coherent English and didn't seem to understand what I was asking them
    Last edited by sbakoola; 1 December 2017, 11:47.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Don't hold your breath, they are terrible at disputes, especially if you actually receive the goods. And never use a debit card, you get no protection except at the discretion of your bank, whereas a credit card has consumer protection enshrined in law.
    This isn't quite right. If it's Visa or Mastercard, then transactions can be charged back through their system. It's not at the discretion of the bank, but they have to facilitate it. The average customer service bod won't know a lot about it, they usually have a dedicated disputes team.

I worked on this team for a bank and even credit card disputes where usually handled via a chargeback rather than a section 75 refund.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post

FFS
    You really think the seller is going to be answering his phone this morning? He'll be out spending the £999 extra profit he just made...

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    At least name and shame.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Phone/email the vendor this morning, make sure you get through to an actual person then politely ask them to change the shipping method.

You might have an issue if you decide to play hardball (or the trader knows EU consumer rights well).

The trader does not have to refund shipping if you chose an express shipping method.

EUR-Lex - 32011L0083 - EN - EUR-Lex
    Article 13, paragraph 2:
    2. Notwithstanding paragraph 1, the trader shall not be required to reimburse the supplementary costs, if the consumer has expressly opted for a type of delivery other than the least expensive type of standard delivery offered by the trader.

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied

FFS

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    You should get refund through Paypal
    Don't hold your breath, they are terrible at disputes, especially if you actually receive the goods. And never use a debit card, you get no protection except at the discretion of your bank, whereas a credit card has consumer protection enshrined in law.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by MrMarkyMark View Post

AYCOTBAC?

The amount you are talking there only amounts to a fair (school) night out.

A force 2, "batten down the hatches situation".
    NLyUK charges you that much??

You need to select her "Frequent Cryer" discount.

Leave a comment:

• mudskipper
    replied
    Recently bought stuff from gamesparadise for Oz family without having read the reviews.

True to form, there was no communication. I chased. Nothing. I requested a refund. Nothing. Threatened chargeback, and got refund within a week. I lost a couple of quid on exchange rates, but at least sis and family will get their Dr Who themed Yahtzee.

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    If dispute not resolved it escalates to what is pretty much chargeback in which seller usually loses - most certainly if goods are returned, it's clearly an error or scam that can get their account closed

Leave a comment:

• sbakoola
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    yeah to get a refund via Paypal it's through their disputes process which can start 7 days after the transaction was initiated. Quite surprised that they can't just cancel the transaction as soon as it was made almost, though.

Reading their policies, the online seller seems to be quite reasonable with returns etc even when dispatched.

I'm not very impressed with Paypal though, they can't send out immediate transaction cancellations for monies and RBS cannot cancel incoming pending transactions. What happens if a tiller girl at Tescos decides to charge you £500 extra for nothing and then you lose the receipt on the way home to complain ?

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied

Leave a comment:

• AtW
    replied
    Originally posted by sbakoola View Post
    yeah I bought from a UK online company (I've used them before). The order screen was showing that Royal Mail Airsure was £999 but I'm sure that I selected the Parcel Force option for £22.05 below it. Shipping is from UK to France. There was an option for around £11.40 below that one. I managed to get a screenshot of the order screen hitting the back button on the web browser.

They don't send order confirmation emails which is a bit suspect. The only order details are on the Paypal UK order screen, can't cancel it from there as it's showing 'completed' even though RBS don't know anything about the pending order even.
    UK to France? That's normal Brexit delivery fee now

Leave a comment:

Working...
X