• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Calling all motorists and cyclists - this needs to happen over here"

Collapse

• Hobosapien
    replied
    If only Google or someone had thought of making eyewear so people could see both the screen and their path ahead.

As so many people are addicted to their phones it needs a technological evolution, not more laws that won't be enforced adequately.

We're spoilt by the promises within science fiction, aka Tomorrows World.

Leave a comment:

• DaveB
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It applies to car drivers, it should be applied to anyone on the road (any vehicle or on foot), of course you have the issue of the cyclist looking at his garmin/GPS/Strava to see how fast or where they are going but doesn't check to see if it's safe to do so.
    This is about phones and other mobile devices. Looking at your Garmin / GPS device on the bike is no different to looking at the speedo or sat nav in a car. You glance at it, you don't stare at it for minutes, or even seconds at a time. You don't look at Strava on the bike. You upload your ride to it afterwards.

Cyclists using their phone without a hands free headset while on the bike are open to a charge of careless cycling and deserve what they get, and I agree that it should be made a formal offence just as it is with car drivers.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    The police could then do both cyclist/motorist and pedestrian crackdowns at the same time.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    It makes no sense on lots of roads when not busy e.g. around Bank at the weekend. (And yes I've been in the area when it is simply not busy)

Hence making crossing the road without due care and attention an offence would cover it.
    Indeed. Like carrying a knife is an offense. A big difference between a little old lady coming home from Robert Dyas. And a teenager carrying one openly without wrapping.

Of course bank junction is cyclists/buses only Mon-Fri 7am-7pm. I have been through at 6:30am and its nice and quiet at that time.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
    ahhh. My OP was not clear. I am totally making Jay Walking an offence. I was wondering why Honolulu finds it such a big deal?

Going through Bank a few days ago I saw a bus do an emergency stop. A lady tried to do a lemming impression.

It was 7am - I bet the driver was high on adrenalin for the rest of the day.
    It makes no sense on lots of roads when not busy e.g. around Bank at the weekend. (And yes I've been in the area when it is simply not busy)

Hence making crossing the road without due care and attention an offence would cover it.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Problem is many roads don't have decent crossings or are actually side roads that are used as rat runs hence they can't make jay walking an offence.

Not paying due care and attention when you cross the road can be made one though.
    ahhh. My OP was not clear. I am totally making Jay Walking an offence. I was wondering why Honolulu finds it such a big deal?

Going through Bank a few days ago I saw a bus do an emergency stop. A lady tried to do a lemming impression.

It was 7am - I bet the driver was high on adrenalin for the rest of the day.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Is Jay-walking banned in Honolulu?

They should introduce it at the same time as stiffer sentences are introduced for cyclists/motorists who hurt others.
    Problem is many roads don't have decent crossings or are actually side roads that are used as rat runs hence they can't make jay walking an offence.

Not paying due care and attention when you cross the road can be made one though.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by FrontEnder View Post
    So it's ok to read a book while crossing though, yeah?
    I have seen that in London a few times.

Leave a comment:

• FrontEnder
    replied
    So it's ok to read a book while crossing though, yeah?

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied
    Why can't they stop to check where they are going?
    That's a good question, why can't they?

If they stop somewhere safe and make the checks, absolutely fine.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Originally posted by WTFH View Post
    It applies to car drivers, it should be applied to anyone on the road (any vehicle or on foot), of course you have the issue of the cyclist looking at his garmin/GPS/Strava to see how fast or where they are going but doesn't check to see if it's safe to do so.
    Why can't they stop to check where they are going?

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    Is Jay-walking banned in Honolulu?

They should introduce it at the same time as stiffer sentences are introduced for cyclists/motorists who hurt others.

Leave a comment:

• WTFH
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Pip in a Poke
    replied
    What's it got to do with motorists or cuclists?

It's pedsestrians that are culpable of wandering along with their heads in a virual cloud

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    I'd like to see it extended to anyone walking down stairs in public or in ClienCo's too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X