• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "DXC (formerly HPE) enforce extended Xmas Furlough"

Collapse

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by chopper View Post
    AYCOTBAC?

A proper contractor would send a substitute from 2nd to 5th...
    A proper contractor would bill from the beach...

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    Sorry I meant the 8th, will be a bit difficult going back to work on the 2nd as I don't land back in the UK until the 6th
    AYCOTBAC?

A proper contractor would send a substitute from 2nd to 5th...

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    Originally posted by eek View Post
    That's not 2 weeks its only 10 days. Ideally i'm hoping for the 22nd through to the 8th but it will depend on what this new end client is doing...
    Sorry I meant the 8th, will be a bit difficult going back to work on the 2nd as I don't land back in the UK until the 6th

Leave a comment:

• spoons
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    Exactly, I don't see the problem with this. I'm contracting with a large UK insurer and they have just announced the same furlough dates. (Funnily enough we use DXC (unfortunately)). I look forward to time off over xmas anyway so it's never an issue, although myself and a few other contractors usually get offered exemption from the furlough if we're working on important projects, which is usually the case!
    Exactly and has already been mentioned HP/HPE used to do exactly the same thing.

It's not as though DXC have been very publically stating they plan to cut costs is it......

Leave a comment:

• eek
    replied
    Originally posted by SlipTheJab View Post
    No issue, always at least 2 weeks off over xmas for me, finish up 22nd and back on the 2nd for me this year.
    That's not 2 weeks its only 10 days. Ideally i'm hoping for the 22nd through to the 8th but it will depend on what this new end client is doing...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Willapp View Post
    Exactly, I don't see the problem with this. I'm contracting with a large UK insurer and they have just announced the same furlough dates. (Funnily enough we use DXC (unfortunately)). I look forward to time off over xmas anyway so it's never an issue, although myself and a few other contractors usually get offered exemption from the furlough if we're working on important projects, which is usually the case!
    Virtually all the clients I have had have had furlong dates that cover Xmas and New Year for contractors for various reasons, yet every year a few posters start threads like this surprised they have to take time off.

I guess the OP will be saying on their death bed "I wish I worked more over Christmas"

Leave a comment:

• SlipTheJab
    replied
    No issue, always at least 2 weeks off over xmas for me, finish up 22nd and back on the 2nd for me this year.

Leave a comment:

• Willapp
    replied
    Originally posted by Lance View Post
    It’s not really 3 weeks though. It’s 11 days that aren’t public holidays.
    And not much would happen in that period so they’re not going to want to pay people to do nowt (well no more than usual anyway). Most of their customers have a change freeze over those weeks as well.

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Originally posted by oziwalkabout View Post
    Well I can only say that I wish was in a fortunate situation such as those who may have the luxury of taking more than 20 working days per year. But if you do the maths you're effectively left with only 8 days between January to December 2018. I certainly plan my leave well in advance to capitalise on cheaper fares and also have family commitments like most people. There is no 'twisting' of words just 'screwing' with people's lives.

You also miss the point that their employees have no say or negotiation powers. For the past 4 years they have had to suffer furloughs at very short notice and without any consultation or grounds for redress - and longer periods....thus the draconian label stands.
    You're clearly not contractor material, if you can only allow 20 unbilled days a year. Most of us allow for two to three months of unbilled time, and if it's less, that's a bonus. The fact you call yourself an employee speaks volumes. If you were an employee, they'd still be paying you during the Crimbo hols, so I suggest you quit whining and ask them nicely if they'll kindly take you on as such.

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Bloomin' eck. I've been told I'm off from December 15th! Bring it on.

There are employees with their fixed annual leave allocation, then there are contractors who work every hour that god sends (who don't realise that nobody will thank them for it, other than the taxman), and then there are contractors who realise that contracting is all about flexibility and having lots of time off - some of it of our choosing and some of it of someone else's choosing.

I did 220 billable days last year and 213 billable days this year. Why you'd choose to work 240 or more days per year is beyond me.

Work to live or live to work and all that.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    Originally posted by bobspud View Post
    Problem with DXC is their rates are shockingly low to start with. Booting the contractors out for three week is yet another kick in the balls.
    It’s not really 3 weeks though. It’s 11 days that aren’t public holidays.
    And not much would happen in that period so they’re not going to want to pay people to do nowt (well no more than usual anyway). Most of their customers have a change freeze over those weeks as well.

Leave a comment:

• bobspud
    replied
    Problem with DXC is their rates are shockingly low to start with. Booting the contractors out for three week is yet another kick in the balls.

Leave a comment:

• BrilloPad
    replied
    I already booked off those days and a few more.

They can furlough all they like.

Leave a comment:

• Lance
    replied
    This is news?

HPE did it every year I was there.

Leave a comment:

• jmo21
    replied
    Originally posted by oziwalkabout View Post
    Well I can only say that I wish was in a fortunate situation such as those who may have the luxury of taking more than 20 working days per year. But if you do the maths you're effectively left with only 8 days between January to December 2018. I certainly plan my leave well in advance to capitalise on cheaper fares and also have family commitments like most people. There is no 'twisting' of words just 'screwing' with people's lives.

You also miss the point that their employees have no say or negotiation powers. For the past 4 years they have had to suffer furloughs at very short notice and without any consultation or grounds for redress - and longer periods....thus the draconian label stands.
    Wait until your contract gets canned after a month of the new year and you realise you don’t have an annual holiday allocation as a contractor.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X