• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Anybody gotta a pool"

Collapse

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    The trick is to swim with a clip on your nose if you may get splashed or dive under water, if the water is warm and untreated.

( Sorry to be a kill-joy by the way )
    With the smelly mud, blargrrr No thanks I'm going to the beach near me.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    Thank you for remembering me about this.
    The trick is to swim with a clip on your nose if you may get splashed or dive under water, if the water is warm and untreated.

( Sorry to be a kill-joy by the way )

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Lucky you, but you won't be so lucky if you take in through your nose a brain-eating amoeba, which flourish in untreated warm water
    Thank you for remembering me about this.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That sounds far too good to be true! £60/month... are you in California?! At that kind of cost it almost sounds attractive.
    With indoor pools the expense is in the pool room setup not the running costs. A 95% reflective cover helps immensely as does an efficient boiler.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by Bee View Post
    I don't like swimming pools. I have a big artificial pond with an island with a bridge, has nature enough to do a National Geographic documentary.
    Lucky you, but you won't be so lucky if you take in through your nose a brain-eating amoeba, which flourish in untreated warm water

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    I don't like swimming pools. I have a big artificial pond with an island with a bridge, has nature enough to do a National Geographic documentary.

Leave a comment:

• lukemg
    replied
    A pool is like a wife apparently, 'kin expensive for the amount of time you actually spend in it...

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    That sounds far too good to be true! £60/month... are you in California?! At that kind of cost it almost sounds attractive.

Leave a comment:

• Lockhouse
    replied
    We've got an indoor pool. None of that nasty UV to mess up the chemicals means that it's nice and easy to manage. It's not 25 metres long or anything but it's a nice size for a quick dip.

It's heated via a heat exchanger on the boiler return and costs about £60 per month to keep at a nice warm 29°.

The biggest issue is condensation which we keep at bay with a thick thermal cover and an automatic extractor fan.

It was already in the house when we bought it. One of the benefits of not having to pay London prices.

Leave a comment:

• Snarf
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    Save yourself time and effort, dig a smaller hole in the garden and just throw loads of cash into it to create the same effect.
    Like scrooge McDuck?

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Originally posted by Andy Hallett View Post
    Save yourself time and effort, dig a smaller hole in the garden and just throw loads of cash into it to create the same effect.
    Perhaps he can just have one installed in his new Audi Q7....

Leave a comment:

• Andy Hallett
    replied

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
    anybody gotta pool

we're gonna put one in in the spring

Milan.
    I've got a lake in my garden ... bit murky though and full of ducks and moorhens so wouldn't want to swim in there

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Damn imperialists

Leave a comment:

• chopper
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    Most public pools are 20-25ft so this is about the same.
    Are you sure about that?

25m, more like.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X