• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Reply to: Nightmare In..

Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "Nightmare In.."

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
    There is an area in my borough.

It is just not near me.
    They are quite inventive you know. There was a small area by an A3 Roundabout in Guildford about a third of a football field , they moved in for months (25 years ago before express eviction).

The council resolved to fix it (after sending 4 lorries in to clear the rubbish) so they dug a trench round it, we pointed out that wasn't going to be effective with their normal profession in mind. 3 days later the Pikeys were back with a nice new tarmac driveway across the ditch.

There was a nice site down in Dunsfold but they had to pay tax there.

Leave a comment:

• greenlake
    replied
    Oooh I'm going to ask for some in my area
    I think I'd prefer some of these....

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    I imagine being that close to Slough it's very un-white, but extending the council's Equal Opportunities Policy to cover the ethnic diversity of street furniture just goes to show that there are some people in the council who have nothing useful to do.
    As you can see from the identical bollkids installed in Leicester in 2009, they're the ones the factory makes. I don't think the council had any control over what a manufacturer decided to do eight years ago

Leave a comment:

• Mordac
    replied
    Why not?

Iver isn't completely white you know.
    I imagine being that close to Slough it's very un-white, but extending the council's Equal Opportunities Policy to cover the ethnic diversity of street furniture just goes to show that there are some people in the council who have nothing useful to do.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied

It is just not near me.
    The councils Pikey Protection Policy in action there.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by barrydidit View Post
    Irish travellers?
    Nah there isn't anywhere for them to camp.
    They're not fussy.Any car park or amenity area will be fine.

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by northernladyuk View Post
    The white one is an Irish traveller.
    Shortly to be found being offered takeaways and lifts in a local Pakistani's businessmans car.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    IIRC, the council are obliged to provide a suitable site.

It is just not near me.

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    IIRC, the council are obliged to provide a suitable site.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Irish travellers?

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Irish travellers?

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Leave a comment:

• barrydidit
    replied
    Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
    Not that new - we've had them for years by one Leicester school. Here's a couple of them captured on Street View in 2009: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.61...7i13312!8i6656

And some more a bit further down: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.61...7i13312!8i6656

For the record, here's the minutes of the community meeting where their installation was approved: Agenda for Castle Community Meeting on Tuesday, 7 July 2009, 6:30 pm – Leicester City Council

And the Daily Mail did a story about them (acting like they were a new thing, though in reality it was just that somebody had posted a pic of them on Reddit) in 2013, when they presumably had as slow a news day as the Telegraph and the Beeb obviously had
    So, in summary, it's just a load of bollards?

Leave a comment:

• northernladyuk
    replied
    Originally posted by Mordac View Post
    Naturally they had to make one of the bollards "ethnically diverse". You couldn't make this tulip up!
    The white one is an Irish traveller.

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Not that new - we've had them for years by one Leicester school. Here's a couple of them captured on Street View in 2009: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.61...7i13312!8i6656

And some more a bit further down: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.61...7i13312!8i6656

For the record, here's the minutes of the community meeting where their installation was approved: Agenda for Castle Community Meeting on Tuesday, 7 July 2009, 6:30 pm – Leicester City Council

And the Daily Mail did a story about them (acting like they were a new thing, though in reality it was just that somebody had posted a pic of them on Reddit) in 2013, when they presumably had as slow a news day as the Telegraph and the Beeb obviously had

Leave a comment:

Working...
X