• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "I really hate horse flies"

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by woohoo View Post
    I have a loads of different insect sprays. The misses has said that I have a problem and I'm obsessed by bitey insects.
    If the feckers bite you and leave you with lumps and boils that irritate and cause pain for weeks afterwards, then of course you are going to be obsessed with ensuring they don't bite you in the first place.....

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    I have a loads of different insect sprays. The misses has said that I have a problem and I'm obsessed by bitey insects.

Worst bite I had was in Mauritius, swear it felt like a gun shot (I imagine) and I could hear the noise of the bite.

Just under my armpit and my arm went numb.

Perhaps I should start a worst bite website and make money from the advertising. Worstbitey.com

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied
    Originally posted by Platypus View Post
    Doesn't work, and is greasy
    Sounds like MF.

Leave a comment:

• Bee
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    My grandad used to say that the trick was not to disturb them if you get bitten. 'Let them sook'.
    They inject digestive fluids in and then suck them out again, disturbing them leave more juice in, a bigger swelling.
    Never been able to not swat the bastards though.

I got bitten in the nether regions by one yesterday, boy did that hurt.
    I prefer my father's technic. He waited until they bite, while they entertained with the last meal, he smashed them with his hand.

Leave a comment:

• BR14
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Lot of people recommend Skin so soft by Avon
    that's for highland midges, - and it actually works rather well

Leave a comment:

• Platypus
    replied
    Originally posted by Antman View Post
    Doesn't work, and is greasy

Leave a comment:

• jds 1981
    replied
    Finally worked out what was biting me in my back garden in Walthamstow - blandford flies. They're pretty small but said to have a worse bite than a horse fly. Count yourself lucky.

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    You big wussies, they are lovely things.

Leave a comment:

• RetSet
    replied
    Nasty feckers them. Apparently they don't stick a proboscis into you, they actually bite off a chunk of skin.

No wonder they hurt

Leave a comment:

• Antman
    replied

Leave a comment:

• woohoo
    replied
    Originally posted by RSoles View Post
    My grandad used to say that the trick was not to disturb them if you get bitten. 'Let them sook'.
    They inject digestive fluids in and then suck them out again, disturbing them leave more juice in, a bigger swelling.

Not sure I could watch them bite me. Bitten a few times on Monday, usually takes a few days to go down.

I'm obsessed with not being bitten.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Three bites on my back. Ow ow and ow.
    Been nailed a few times this year when out on the tractor. Not had problems before, but seems loads of them this year. Our neighbour has seen the same increase. Must be the weather.

Nasty critters. Bites will itch quite badly for a week

Leave a comment:

• Paddy
    replied
    Yuck!

THE HORROR TREE: The Bot Fly

Leave a comment:

• RSoles
    replied

Leave a comment:

• MarillionFan
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
    Not a line of bites, and it happened while I was by the pool.
    I think I may see the problem here.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X